front wheel bering

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

concerning the front wheel bearing hub 04763182AB there are extreme price diffferences between the original part or for example OPTIMAL 991672.

See:

http://www.autorecambiosstore.es/optimal/juego-de-cojinete-de-rueda-7583422

https://www.teilehaber.de/itm/radlagersatz-vorderachse-optimal-991672-src1233009.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Beari...ash=item568e7c409c:g:N0MAAOSwT6pVrdDK&vxp=mtr

Is it possible to change only the bearings not the whole hub with the bearing inside? Like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Beari...ash=item4621496f9e:g:UXYAAOSw9N1VlaOu&vxp=mtr

Do you only recommend the original part? I know the car is not a Prius.....

Thank you and best regards from Valencia

Carlos

Last edited:

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can trust Timkin bearings, i would get the whole assembly because you need a press for the other.

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
easy job to push the old bearing out. why pay 150 for the simple step of pressing a new one in? youtube has lots of videos on replacing one, or have a local machine shop do it in two minutes.
max

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then which bearing should I order and where to buy it?

You mean Timken, right?

Regards

Carlos

Yes, sorry for the misspell.

easy job to push the old bearing out. why pay 150 for the simple step of pressing a new one in? youtube has lots of videos on replacing one, or have a local machine shop do it in two minutes.
max

Keep in mind, he is in Spain and might not have access to a local machine shop.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, I'm actually kinda surprised that's only 85 Euros. I figured there would be some crazy markup for it since it's a Viper part (though I think it's also a Dakota part...). Seems odd that the Euro cost is lower than US, but I guess it is what it is. Maybe it's the current exchange rate.

OP
OP
C

carlv12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again,

here in Europe, specially in Germany the OPTIMAL Wheel bearings have a very bad reputation = the parts are of very low quality.

Finally would you recommend to buy the separate bearings and fix them together with a "press" or compactor or better go for the original Dodge part that is much more expensive, but there is no quality risk.

I hope someone has a real experience that he can tell me

Thank you and best regards from Valencia

Carlos

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading a post about how the non-Mopar hubs come without the center stub axle thing and that you must reuse the old one if you buy the aftermarket hubs that come without that. The Mopar part supposedly comes with that stub and nut. I haven't looked at it myself, but a vendor has said the they use a hammer and punch to distort the threads so that the nut does not back off. So, when removing the nut, sometimes you ruin the nut. I don't know whether it is some specialized or hard to find size.

update edit: I found a post by an owner on this forum that says that he used the Timken branded hub that came without the center stub and nut, and successfully reused those parts. He didn't say; but, I am guessing that you either need to fix or remove the damaged threads before removing the nut or you risk ripping up the threads on the nut with those damaged bolt threads.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would say a quality brand bearing being pressed into your existing parts would be just as good as a full Dodge assembly, though you should get some cost estimates for the work if you can't do it yourself. It might be just as expensive to buy a bearing and have a shop do the work as it would be to buy the Dodge part directly. Also, if you have the part off already you can try cleaning it up real good to look at the bearings. They should have a manufacturer name and number on them. They could very well be the Timken bearings you're looking at, so they should be just as good as Dodge.