Fuel Stabilizer?

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you guys who do not drive your RT10s much, do you use fuel stabilizer? I use a tank of gas a year, that is how often I drive my viper and I am kinda worried the 10% ethanol is going to gunk something up, but the owners manual doesn't say if its safe to use fuel stabilizer. If you guys use it please tell me what brand you use. Thanks

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not just the ethanol that'll be an issue, but the gas itself breaks down with age. I use Stabil and it seems to work well enough. One tank of gas a year is difficult to manage.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using fuel stabilizer for years for winter storage. I don't use during the driving season as I drive it enough, or at least I used to. Using Stabil is a good idea.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have never used it in Vipers...we just fill them with Top Tier gas...and keep them full. This has worked well for 19+ years and counting. Tom F & L, Go R has written the same info here for years...and he is the recognized expert.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel itself starts to breakdown at 30 days or so. Definitely use a fuel stabilizer or enzime. Also, be sure to keep your tank full at all times! Ethanol will attract any condensation in the tank ! And then cause "Phase separation". A layer of ethanol at the top, then water, then the actual fuel.
Imagine what happens when it ***** a gulp of straight water into your engine lol

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel itself starts to breakdown at 30 days or so. Definitely use a fuel stabilizer or enzime. Also, be sure to keep your tank full at all times! Ethanol will attract any condensation in the tank ! And then cause "Phase separation". A layer of ethanol at the top, then water, then the actual fuel.
Imagine what happens when it ***** a gulp of straight water into your engine lol

Man slave!!!! ^^^^^

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may not drive it much, but I'm sure you start the car on a regular basis.??
Do you guys who do not drive your RT10s much, do you use fuel stabilizer? I use a tank of gas a year, that is how often I drive my viper and I am kinda worried the 10% ethanol is going to gunk something up, but the owners manual doesn't say if its safe to use fuel stabilizer. If you guys use it please tell me what brand you use. Thanks

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man Slave? I don't get it. I start it once or twice a month and keep it full. So as long as I use 93 octane I do not need the stabilizer? But if it doesn't hurt the car in any way why not use it anyways? Do you guys use any form of undercoating or anything else I should be doing to protect the car against time because I plan to keep it forever. Besides getting a professional wax job every 1-2 years on the body, anything else you do? Thanks.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Understand that I am not against stabilizer, but a well respected poster here who is actively involved in the industry has pointed out that winter storage with a full tank of premium, branded gasoline is adequate for our Vipers. The mentioned fuels are climate adjusted, and have adequate amounts of the necessary additives. The fuel system is closed on Vipers. This has worked well for our Vipers over the year, noting that most of them are inactive for about 4 months each winter. Do what you feel is best for your circumstance.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always keep my fuel tank filled to the top...but not for reasons mentioned here. The only thing more fun than driving under a bridge WOT is filling up at the gas station. I stand there with my sunglasses on and my hands on my hips, looking unapproachable and totally out of her league.

OP
OP
D

Dude80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The other day I came back to my car and a half dozen people were standing next to it taking pictures with it. When I got to the car they asked if they could sit in it and take a picture which I was happy to let them do. There were mercedes and many other cars worth way more than mine in the lot that people could care less about. The viper will never go out of style, it is truly an iconic American sports car, people always come up to me when I am out with this car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte