Future most collectable cars article on yahoo

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see Viper made the list....but they are all kind of "no-brainers". I don't think it will take 40yrs for Vipers to spike in value, as times have changed. We are an impatient "want it now, regardless of the cost" society. We know what we've invested & what things are worth, but are emotionally driven. In the 80s when Challengers were selling at the end of driveways for like $6500, the ppl buying them and the guys selling them had a very different mindset. Although it's my father's generation who is buying up the cars they had when they were young.....it is also they that sold those very same cars, because they were "just an old car". However frugal they were, they too have evolved into frivolous spenders like the rest of us.

I guess Cars being $2800 new in the 60s, and like $7k new in the 80s may have also had something to do with their lack of desire to hold on-to that classic. I don't think any used car ever brought 6-figures in those days :p

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a mint 1 owner 70 SS396 Red/White/ Blk int 4speed Chevelle with 36k mile in 1976 for $1,600. Also bought a mint 1 owner 1970 Black on Black automatic GTO with 43k miles in 1978 for $1,100. A 1 owner Green 67 289 automatic Mustang coupe with 59k miles in 1980 for $350. etc... you get the idea...

Here's the real find...
A buddy of mine picked up a Red/Black 68 4 speed pistol grip bucket seat Hemi GTX Convertible that needed some work for $1,400 in 1978.

Jon Mopar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ wow! those would be some impressive rides to have today. Any idea where any of those cars ended up? (that Hemi 'cuda would obviously be something to retire off of). My father had a few hot ones, most ended up in the hands of kids who broke them up, but a couple are still floating around.

And here I thought $12k for a rough, but #s matching GTX 440 was a steal :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang