Garrett turbos on the Stryker Vipers.....

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be that some don't know, it may be more of a reluctance to discuss. So many of these tuners that have time in developing turbo kits have done lots of a trial and error and a correct pick on a turbo may be like the recipe for mom's brownies....

Jason Tarnutzer
98 GTS Axis TwinTurbo

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quickin,

Each Stryker Turbo System contains custom built Garrett Turbos specific to the Horsepower requirements of the system. They dont have a number. The Turbo's for the Stryker TT RS are rated for 1100 Hp each. That means we might make 2200 Hp if everything stays together. Conservetively we are saying 1700 Hp. When we were developing our Stryker TT Stage III we originally stated that it would be around 1000 Hp. We made over 1300 Hp with the Stryker TT Stage III. We advertise the system at 1100 Hp and are able to deliver that with complete confidence.

I believe that you would be completely STUNNED if you drove a Pure 1100 Hp Turbo System.

Would you like us to build you one?

Maybe a special limited edition Patriot missile? Built and painted just like the fastest Viper in the World!

Send me your address and I will send you the info.

Only 10 will be built.

jR.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you build a turbo kit with 650RWHP for under 15K? The Corvettes now have single turbo with 550-600RWHP for 10K installed.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:
Can you build a turbo kit with 650RWHP for under 15K? The Corvettes now have single turbo with 550-600RWHP for 10K installed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who builds the kits for the corvettes for 10k?

jR

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SVS Turbo:
Who builds the kits for the corvettes for 10k?

jR

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is Cerra turbo kit

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be careful of putting any systems on your Viper with boost because of the cast pistons in your engine.
If you went with a forced induction system I would recommend balance and blueprinting your engine since new J+E forged pistons, wrist pins and rings are needed for a durable and reliable system. Due to the cast pistons in your situation I would end up going into a Stryker TT Stage II and give you 800rwhp for 40k. Including the Driveline upgrades. No NOS.
I know your only looking to spend 15k but if you have 437rwhp your friends z-o6 turbo system only makes 502rwhp (on dyno run 39) and 457rwhp (on dyno run 28) Your pretty close already. I know our headers are the highest Hp tested headers that Mopar has ever tested for the Viper. They will give you 35 rwhp for $2970. Now your 1/2 way there in Hp. Add Heads w/T+D's and a cam and SVS fuel system for another 75hp at $10000 add labor and your just over 15k. Now its ElDiablo 547rwhp and z-o6 500rwhp.

Now if you want to completely smoke him lets talk further.

Dont look for bargains in Parachutes, Brain Surgery or HiPerf Racing - You'll loose in the end.

jR.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want more HP but I also drive my car road racing events once per month. So I'll need power that can be there for my 30 min sessions. The chart that was posted is from stock Z06 he is adding heads and cams plus turbo giving him 550RWHP at low boost and 600HP at high boost.
How much would it cost me to get in to 600-650RWHP?

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Rob Tynmann at Axis Industries (210) 523-6581 for the most reasonable Twin Turbo system on the planet. 560rwhp and up at 18000 and up. That's constant daily driving HP in 90 to 100 degree Texas summer heat, A/C blowing, stop and go traffic, and 92 octane. E-mail me if you want more info or a ride.
cool.gif

By the way, Jason Tarnutzer just got a pair of the sweetest looking Garrett ceramic ball bearing turbos you ever layed your eyes on.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well there you go El Diablo you have two choices already for 560rwhp. $18000 for N/A from SVS or $18000 for a turbo system from Axis.

As far as building you a 650rwhp Stryker Turbo system for your '02 GTS would require Balance and Blueprinting w/ forged pistons, Heads, Driveline upgrades (Definitely if your racing once a month w/ 750hp at the crank)Cooling upgrades (racing radiator w/ dual fans)

If you dont want the Driveline upgrades. Ok. I know the driveline will last for a while at 750Hp and it is a budget concern. But remember you dont want to be going through a sweeper at 120mph, exiting onto the front straight, under boost and have something weak. I would greatly consider it.

The only way to properly run a 750hp engine on a racetrack for 30min / once a month, is to have complete computer control of the engine when it was built and when it runs. The fuel management is critical. We have used Motec fuel management systems since 1996 and would tune your Stryker system to run like it was engineered for a race team, and at the same time be able to drive it daily.

We can place you in the system your looking for but if you dont want to have your engine balanced and blueprinted w/ forged pistons then we would not be interested in building this high of forced induction Hp application in a cast piston Viper.

I dont know how long you have been racing or if you would need assistance at the race events you enter, but I would love to drive you around a racetrack on a debut weekend of your system and help you with whatever I could.

If your interested give me a call at SVS 630-876-1335

On the racetrack I would help you never worry about your friend in his Corvette again.

jR.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $18K you have a number of other options. To name a few I'm familiar with, APEX has a "Lethal 650" N/A package which nets about 560 RWHP for that price range; and of course DOug Levin has a "Level I" SC system good for &gt;600 RWHP at that price point.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the deal with that Corvette turbo system? Why does power fall off faster than a stock car? Looks like they have some slight tuning issues.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I wonder? Could it be that this single turbo system is taking the exhaust energy from only one side of the engine? Is there a crossover? I dont see one. Is it just heads and other mods that make the power? Maybe I'm wrong but pretty sure there is no room to even put a crossover.
confused.gif

If it is only taking from one side that would call for an interesting cam grind.
grazy.gif

jR.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does have a crossover pipe, they explained that on a post over there. I have personally never heard of a turbo system in a V or flat configuration motor that didn't use both banks for the turbo(s).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SVS Turbo:
Jason,

I wonder? Could it be that this single turbo system is taking the exhaust energy from only one side of the engine? Is there a crossover? I dont see one. Is it just heads and other mods that make the power? Maybe I'm wrong but pretty sure there is no room to even put a crossover.
confused.gif

If it is only taking from one side that would call for an interesting cam grind.
grazy.gif

jR.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saab uses one bank and designed a special cam grind
grazy.gif
to make the engine act like it is two seperate engines.

But since they are using a crossover pipe then I guess they didnt build a special cam.

A balanced system should have equal length exhaust to a single turbo flange for maximum performance. Then again you can build it how ever you want. It will run.

Sorry I was a bit confused, and questioned the 100hp increase on the base 5psi kit / compared to the 150hp on the other sheet, where did the extra 50 hp come from?

We are releasing a twin turbo kit for the 97+ C-5's that makes 441rwhp @ 6 lbs boost, completely stock w/stockcats and borla exhaust only! With hiflow cats and intake we expect another 20-30hp which puts us in our 470hp range. Now place heads and a cam and your up around 600rwhp. Our base kit will be handled by installers around the country. Lifetime warranty on the headers and one year on the turbo's. Would you pass it along to all your C-5 buddies Supra? It would help us out. Right now we are dealing with 5 installers around the country and might take on a couple more. SUPER VETTE SYSTEMS will release 1 kit to our installers to start and take orders from there. Coming real soon to a Hi-perf shop near you.

Ron Jr.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
We are releasing a twin turbo kit for the 97+ C-5's that makes 441rwhp @ 6 lbs boost, completely stock w/stockcats and borla exhaust only! With hiflow cats and intake we expect another 20-30hp which puts us in our 470hp range. Now place heads and a cam and your up around 600rwhp. Our base kit will be handled by installers around the country. Lifetime warranty on the headers and one year on the turbo's. Would you pass it along to all your C-5 buddies Supra? It would help us out. Right now we are dealing with 5 installers around the country and might take on a couple more. SUPER VETTE SYSTEMS will release 1 kit to our installers to start and take orders from there. Coming real soon to a Hi-perf shop near you.

Ron Jr.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been looking into turbo systems for the C5 since 98 and have yet to see a front mount intercooled Twin T setup for under 15k. The guys over at turbo tech, here is real recent thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=472097
are supposedly making one for 7-8k as a kit but this is not front mount, it takes the brake ducts away to use as intercooler mounts. I am still in the decision making process as wether to trade up to a snake and TT it instead of making due with a TT on my C5... the next few weeks will make or break my decision.

BTW... i was thinking of doing a 99 GTS forged piston without upgrading internals and running a TT setup on it with a "small" amount of boost. what do you think? Will it last 60k Miles? Do you think 00-02 ABS is worth the non forged pistons? i want upgraded brakes that dont lock up.

Ron i like that fact that you play it safe when making recomendations to customers. I take your advice to heart because i believe that deep down your not just trying to upsell, but are trying to avoid problems.

How long have you had your upgraded and balanced V10's last as far as miles? I plan to drive the S*** out of the snake when i get it. Just like i do my current C5. 15k miles a year. Could mild TT setup last for 100k miles?

How much is a 99 GTS long block with low miles from a scrap yard?
i can get a 02 z06 motor for $2200 in case i blow to much.. just trying to compare costs in the long run. I like the idea of running stock internals with a FI setup and swaping motors at a 60k intervial..

You expert thoughts?

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JR you guys are making serious power numbers. Of course I am assuming you are making those numbers without Nitrous. I am also assuming you are making 1300HP on race gas since the boost must be probably around 30IBS of boost and you are probably suffereing from detonation at that boost level without the c16. That was what I needed to get the same power out of my Buick Grand National a few years ago. Could you please tell me exactly streetable the car is and how much power can you make if it was just on pump gas.

Thanks

Quickin,

Each Stryker Turbo System contains custom built Garrett Turbos specific to the Horsepower requirements of the system. They dont have a number. The Turbo's for the Stryker TT RS are rated for 1100 Hp each. That means we might make 2200 Hp if everything stays together. Conservetively we are saying 1700 Hp. When we were developing our Stryker TT Stage III we originally stated that it would be around 1000 Hp. We made over 1300 Hp with the Stryker TT Stage III. We advertise the system at 1100 Hp and are able to deliver that with complete confidence.

I believe that you would be completely STUNNED if you drove a Pure 1100 Hp Turbo System.

Would you like us to build you one?

Maybe a special limited edition Patriot missile? Built and painted just like the fastest Viper in the World!

Send me your address and I will send you the info.

Only 10 will be built.

jR.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spirit_R