GEN 2 Owners - Do you Wanna Go FAST?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id love to see a GTS with that wing on it.

I bet this would look pretty good and stockish if thats possible to think.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good but to stand toe to toe aero wise with an ACR you will also need a rear wing (mentioned) which produces 1000 lbs. of down force at 150 mph. Dont forget the suspension upgrades too. This is a much needed product for the GTS but hopefully it will be better quality then the Autoform stuff.

Ni-Ka,

It will all depend on what the wing is set to but yes the factory setting creates 1000-1200 lbs at 150 MPH, a jump in spring rates would definately be recommended, the standard stuff for Gen 3 and 4 is also the mainstay for Gen 2 Motons, Penskes etc.

Just curious.....
How often are you guys hitting 150 mph, on a track, and actually utilizing the 1000# of downforce? If you are, for what period of time?
Is it 500# downforce at 75 mph?

I know some of the track "rats" will hit 150 on the track, but for most of us, a couple of degrees of angle shouldn't make or break this mod.

Realistically, I'll bet half of the aero parts Steve is selling will never see the track, much less the 1000# downforce.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but come on guys....:dunno:

These parts are well made and look great.

Nice work Steve

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the parts look great! So, whether you are adding them to increase downforce, or just want the car to look cooler, looks like a nice addition.

Why only GTS's and not RT's with hardtops. Originally, the French (Swiss)LeMans Rent-A-Car team ('94?) consisted only of RT's (all they had at that time). Would make a lowered RT look great along with rear difuser!

Is there something about the RT that would make it not work.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the parts look great! So, whether you are adding them to increase downforce, or just want the car to look cooler, looks like a nice addition.

Why only GTS's and not RT's with hardtops. Originally, the French (Swiss)LeMans Rent-A-Car team ('94?) consisted only of RT's (all they had at that time). Would make a lowered RT look great along with rear difuser!

Is there something about the RT that would make it not work.

The only true impediment to a wing on an RT/10 is the type of hardware used to attach it, the GTS and SRT Coupes and even converts have profiles on their rear deck lids that allow the Wing stantions to be mounted, the RT/10 with its rounded trunk is a little more difficult and the Race prepared ones most likely had structural pieces that tied the wing to the frame and did not have a useable trunk area. Nothing is impossible, it just has to be designed to be functional and cosmetically pleasing as well.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the front splitters, rear difuser and the (older) factory style rear wing? Would that not work, think it would look good. Two totally different subjects, looks vs downforce performance.

I never track my car and do not plan to. For me, personally, its about looks. Sorry track guys!:nono:

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the front splitters, rear difuser and the (older) factory style rear wing? Would that not work, think it would look good. Two totally different subjects, looks vs downforce performance.

I never track my car and do not plan to. For me, personally, its about looks. Sorry track guys!:nono:

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth, ( I am a little biased)

I had a GTS with a complete LEmans body package, wing, fascia etc.

The Splitter was hollow underneath and chipped away every time it came close to the pavement, the wing weighed probably 40lbs and rattled like a SOB all the time, for its time, that was high tech aero.

the new pieces are much more highly engineered and are cosmetically better as well, my splitters are all solid pieces with internal core material that exceeds factory, my wings have better than factory stantions (T6- 6061 vs Cast).

I loved my Autoform package on my GTS, but today I would go a different route and go with this package

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen those but there is a huge difference between a FAUX splitter made of ABS and a real one, also there is a big difference between a splitter that is bolted to flexible urethane fascia/bumper vs one that is bolted to the frame and is adjusted by high quality hardware (splitter cables) and allows tuning of your front down-force.

What will yours be made out of?? ABS is nice cause it does bend without cracking and breaking?? Bolting to the frame though is a must.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What will yours be made out of?? ABS is nice cause it does bend without cracking and breaking?? Bolting to the frame though is a must.

I am making them in both Carbon Fiber and in Fiberglass. Multi piece bonded together with a core stiffener .

I have tried the ABS route and ABS is just too flexible to be any good at being a splitter, stiffness counts when it comes to splitters, there is a reason why all the ABS splitters you see are bolted on a dozen places, it is because the flop around otherwise. and ABS is HEAVY

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, can you post up a pick of the splitter with the track extension installed? I think this look great, BTW. Any chance you'll be making the GenII GTR replica-type splitter which seems more rounded...it may fit the curves of the GenII better. Thx - tony

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh boy oh boy! That's just what I need, a new ripple effect product.

First get the splitter and wing for functional purposes
Then need more power to take advantage of that downforce
And then need upgraded suspension to handle the downforce
And then after that I can justify slicks on the roadcourse
But sheesh, I'll have to upgrade the oiling system to fend off starvation

It just never ends :D

Love the idea in the right price range :2tu:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
treesnake,

How many times? At the back straight at Mid-Ohio in a stock '06 SRT Coupe 150 mph was achievable regularly but I started running up against an unstable braking situation which meant I would lift off the throttle earlier ( I am not saying a wing and splitters is the solution just saying 150 is possible regularly ). Since I now have a modded 1997 GTS coupe I am anticipating similar challenges.

A 1000 lbs downforce at 150 mph is not the primary interest. It is the downforce developed between 60 mph and 150 mph that should be most helpful. In the last car I had that had a wing and splitters (NISMO 350z) you could feel the car "squat" past 70mph which really created stability at track speeds. :drive:

Other than that I like the look of the car with a splitter and wing. :headbang:

Just curious.....
How often are you guys hitting 150 mph, on a track, and actually utilizing the 1000# of downforce? If you are, for what period of time?
Is it 500# downforce at 75 mph?

I know some of the track "rats" will hit 150 on the track, but for most of us, a couple of degrees of angle shouldn't make or break this mod.

Realistically, I'll bet half of the aero parts Steve is selling will never see the track, much less the 1000# downforce.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but come on guys....:dunno:

These parts are well made and look great.

Nice work Steve

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can test this setup out @ Sebring and Daytona if I get it. I can hit 160 on the backstraight @ Sebring and 180 @ Daytona going through the tri-oval. I don't think you can hit 180 on many other tracks.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
treesnake,

How many times? At the back straight at Mid-Ohio in a stock '06 SRT Coupe 150 mph was achievable regularly but I started running up against an unstable braking situation which meant I would lift off the throttle earlier ( I am not saying a wing and splitters is the solution just saying 150 is possible regularly ). Since I now have a modded 1997 GTS coupe I am anticipating similar challenges.

A 1000 lbs downforce at 150 mph is not the primary interest. It is the downforce developed between 60 mph and 150 mph that should be most helpful. In the last car I had that had a wing and splitters (NISMO 350z) you could feel the car "squat" past 70mph which really created stability at track speeds. :drive:

Other than that I like the look of the car with a splitter and wing. :headbang:

I think we are saying the same thing...

I regurely hit 160 at Road America, 140 at Putnam, 130 at Autobahn etc.
This is in a "bolt on" only '06 coupe also.
Would the Aero help? Of course.
That's why I will be installing the full ACRX aero parts on the "dedicated" '08 track car I am building for next year.
But, like you stated, these speeds are at the track.

A lot of Viper owners don't go to the track. Therefore they don't (legally) ever see 150 mph.
I am just saying that I don't think that the "downforce" aspect is a factor for most drivers and shouldn't keep them from getting the parts.

Like you said, and I agree,....
"Other than that I like the look of the car with a splitter and wing.:headbang:"

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see 150+ almost everytime i take my car out. and never been on a track.

and to be honest, never felt the need for more downforce either. but this mod does look kool, just not for me likely

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i see 150+ almost everytime i take my car out. and never been on a track.

and to be honest, never felt the need for more downforce either. but this mod does look kool, just not for me likely

Hey Plum
That was in "Mexico" wasn't it....;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62