Gen 2 radiator isolator bushings

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are NLA from Dodge, but they were also used to support the intercoolers on mid-90's RAM-Cummins engines. The n ipples have two different diameters, but the flanges are the same. Has anybody seen something like this out there in rubber, or urethane?

Attachments

• 94-00 ram intcool bushings marked.jpg
    94-00 ram intcool bushings marked.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
GTS Dean

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Story complete:

I ordered the Dakota radiator bushings from Summit. They are larger in all dimensions except flange thickness. I was particularly worried that they would not pass thru the shim holes, but with some silicone grease they worked fine, without a mm to spare.

The radiator studs are way smaller than the new bushing voids, so I bought an assortment of vacuum caps for $7 to make up the difference. I put a short sleeve of heat shrink on the stud, then slid a red cap over for a nice, snug fit. The black caps filled the bushings perfectly, but the red caps held them off the tank bottom a few mm, so I snipped the ends off and they were perfect. I greased them well so they would easily stab into the black cups. The OE's stay on the radiator to drop thru the shims, but with the OD difference, I pushed the new ones in first and then installed the radiator. All totaled, I spent about $40 on the project in direct parts.

I would recommend taking the jumper hose from the passenger side radiator steam nip ple completely off before starting. It was a constant pain coming out and going back in with the radiator. I also bought a gravity feed/bleed bucket setup after 30 years of Viper ownership. Much cleaner and more efficient purging trapped air as the t-stat opens and causes bubbles to belch and coolant replenishes.

Attachments

• *******-grease.jpg
    *******-grease.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 10
  • bushing locator pins.jpg
    bushing locator pins.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
  • pre-trim standoff.jpg
    pre-trim standoff.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Viper-Dakota bush clearance.jpg
    Viper-Dakota bush clearance.jpg