Gen 3 ACR-X headers?

steveoviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 06 Coupe with Corsa 2.5" cat backs, K&N filters and an SCT tune. I was thinking possibly picking up some ACR-X headers for my street car, but had question how much more this would give me over my current combo and also if the ACR-X header is ok on the street for heat issues? Please let me know? Thanks!:dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 Coupe with Corsa 2.5" cat backs, K&N filters and an SCT tune. I was thinking possibly picking up some ACR-X headers for my street car, but had question how much more this would give me over my current combo and also if the ACR-X header is ok on the street for heat issues? Please let me know? Thanks!:dunno:

The ACRX headers were developed for the Gen IV engine. More particularly the ACRX engine which is somewhat different, e.g. forged pistons and a different controller than the stock Gen IV engine. I am not aware of any testing done on Gen IIIs with same but maybe I missed a post. I doubt that you could realize any benefit from this header on your Gen III. Perhaps you should take a look at the Belanger headers. There have been many good posts about them.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Funny thing. Most of our newer members seem to think the ACRX headers are something special - they aren't. "ACRX" headers are just American Racing Headers made to fit the Gen IV engine. ARH has been making headers a long time and does offer the same basic "long tube" design for the Gen III.

American Racing headers are stainless steel and are not coated from the factory. Stainless runs much hotter than mild steel. If you choose them, be sure to have them coated and install the OE Gen III heat shields or you will risk melting some wiring and heating up your brake fluid, clutch fluid, hoses, etc.

As above, I'd go with Belanger headers on my Gen III (and did!).

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What THEY Said.....all of em ! And going forward, remember: The Year Matters

If you take their advice, you will run COOLER, have less labor to install, and pick up +50 HP on your Gen 3. And have a deeper exhaust note.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at DC Performance when Bad Boyzz Garage had their 2006 GEN III there getting dyno tuned.

Since BBG distributes the ACRX headers, it was pretty obvious he'd have them on his 2006 coupe. What wasn't expected was the car hit an easy 626 rwhp @ 6000 rpm and 600 lbs of torque at 4800 rpm. This was with a stock fuel system and injectors...probably another easy 25 to 30 rwhp available with more fuel and a bit more rpms before cutoff.

The mods were BBG's head, intake, cam and ACRX header package on 91 octane (Chris at DC Perf did a great job tuning that monster).
Maybe BBG can post the video of the pull and dyno results.

This GEN III totally changed my mind about only buying a GEN IV if the choice is between GEN III and GEN IV. To make that kind of easy power in a very steetable package impressed the hell out of me.

Regarding the ACRX headers being different, yes they are since they've become the ACRX brand. Per Dodge's request, the O2 **** was moved to a specific location in the collector (was not like this in previous American Racing Headers units). This is one of the reasons I bought the ACRX units over the other units on the market....much less chance for a check engine light with the stock controller. Over 1400 miles on my GEN IV with no check engine light.

It appears the SRT boys have this stuff figured out ;)

Maybe some of the ACRX race car owners can chime in and tell us if they've had any problems with the uncoated stainless steel headers....might be good info regardless of which brand you might choose.

Cheers,
George

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had great success with American racing headers on my Vette and plan on getting them for my Gen III as well. Awesome customer support and they were an easy install on the Vette. As for the Primaries they held up VERY well on my last car and it's the same process used here.

Andy:2tu: