Gen 3 throttle body

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X-Metal:
I tried calling your shop today to order a TB but nobody was there. What are your hours?
mon-fri 9-6. did you leave a message?
you can also reach me at 812-477-1740, thats my other co. SuperBike shop.
thanks and i look forward to hearing from you!
gary

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the throttle body on Friday and put it on over the weekend. The install is easy (goes quickly) and the directions are well put together. I reset the PCM after putting the throttle body on and even though the PCM is still re-learning the car has better throttle response, pulls alot harder in the high RPMs and happily spins the tires at the 1-2 upshift and 2-3 upshift. The only other mods I've got are the new air filters and the Mopar Race Exhaust. Gary's throttle body is a well designed product at a good price.

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the throttle body on Friday and put it on over the weekend. The install is easy (goes quickly) and the directions are well put together. I reset the PCM after putting the throttle body on and even though the PCM is still re-learning the car has better throttle response, pulls alot harder in the high RPMs and happily spins the tires at the 1-2 upshift and 2-3 upshift. The only other mods I've got are the new air filters and the Mopar Race Exhaust. Gary's throttle body is a well designed product at a good price.
thanks for the write up! i appreciate that, and if you need anything, please let me know.
thanks again!

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Man, any problems with the idle - is it erratic?
i have seen where the TPS sensor can act screwy and cause the idle to be inconsistant.
i dont know why, but the stock Dodge sensor is a fickled piece sometimes. they are 25 bucks, and anytime we have ever had a problem, that was where it lied, with the TPS.
the throttle body is strictly mechanical, so baring that a bolt isnt loose, or a vacuum line disconnected, idle is soley controlled by the TPS and idle air control solenoid. one other place to take notice of is the throttle cable, by making sure the slack is where it should be, and that the cable isnt to tight or too loose. most GEN3's have the throttle bracket slotted so it can be moved to obtain proper cable adjustment.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Man, any problems with the idle - is it erratic?

No problem at all with the idle. The only problem I had was that one of the screws broke off in the stock throttle body shaft. The factory had 'em held in with tons of LocTite but they did not crimp the ends of the screws. I had to drill out the remaining piece of screw then hit Home Depot for a suitable replacement for use with the X-Metal throttle body.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My idle sometimes hangs at 1200 for a few seconds and then settles down to 800rpm. I have not gone back and double checked everything yet.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine hangs a bit too. I am going to try to move the sensor slightly to see what that does. If all else fails, I am going to try an new sensor since it is only $25. I asked the engineers the question and here is their response.

"Sounds like your TPS (throttle position sensor) may not be providing the proper voltage to recognize that it is at idle. It therefore does not go into idle speed feedback control. Check your idle TPS voltage if possible, it should be no more than 1.25 volts and should be around 0.6 to 0.8 volts. You need to test between TPS signal and sensor return/ground. Check your service manual for the wire colors"

Gary can you interpret this into english please?

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine hangs a bit too. I am going to try to move the sensor slightly to see what that does. If all else fails, I am going to try an new sensor since it is only $25. I asked the engineers the question and here is their response.

"Sounds like your TPS (throttle position sensor) may not be providing the proper voltage to recognize that it is at idle. It therefore does not go into idle speed feedback control. Check your idle TPS voltage if possible, it should be no more than 1.25 volts and should be around 0.6 to 0.8 volts. You need to test between TPS signal and sensor return/ground. Check your service manual for the wire colors"

Gary can you interpret this into english please?

Mine worked fine until I had everything apart. I might try to reinstall the TPS again. It acts like a vacuum leak on an old carberated car.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mine was working fine in the beginning. Exactly like a vacuum leak. Gary even mentioned to check all connections. I remember back to my mustang days there was a mod that if you calibrate the tps sensor to the right volts, you get a bit better response. I assume the engineers are talking about a similar type of adjustment. I think you just have to stick a volt meter to the wires and loosen the screws securing the tps sensor and move it around until you get the right voltage then tighten. I do not have a volt meter but will try to loosen and move it a bit and tighten down again.

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are few things i would do:
the throttle body is a mechanical device, and unlike a carburetor, it doesnt control idle, your tps and idle air control valve do that.
check your throttle cable slack. make sure its not too tight, and the throttle goes to wide open when the pedal is put the floor. step on the pedal, and then have someone make sure the throttle linkage can not open any more.
for 25 bucks, its a sure bet to change the tps. it is the most spectacular piece of craptastic plastic i have ever seen. we use a GM 2 bar sensor when we boost a Viper anymore, since the stock sensor is so failure prone.

there is very little adjustment in the stock sensor range. put a voltmeter on the center wire, and the other lead of your meter to ground. (just as a side note, we like to run the ground wire on the tps with a tap going from it to ground with another wire soldered to it)
and take a reading with your volt meter. you can loosen the mounting screws and turn the sensor a hair each direction.it should fall between .6-.76 at rest, and around 4.7 volts at wide open throttle.-(this is checked with the key turned on)

personally from experience, just change the POS-tps for 25 buckos, thats the problem.

if anyone needs anything at all, just feel free to contact me.
thanks
gary

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did a day at Pocono Raceway - now I've got 500 total miles on the X-Metal TB. No problem with idle speed.

I know it was a combination of experience plus the K&N/smooth tubes and X-Metal TB, but I was much more consistant all around the track (and that's all I'm looking for at this point)...

P.S. - I got an astounding 28 MPG going to/from the track (more than I ever gotten before - dont' know where the credit is due), but I was pleased. Oh yeah, 6 MPG on the track. :drive:

Ron

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear Ron. 28 mpg? What did you turn off the right bank?

I am going to order the TPS sensor tomorrow. hopefully that will solve the problem.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive 180 miles round trip to Pocono (mostly Route 80). I try to keep it at 14 mph over the limit so if I do get caught (even with my Valentine 1), it's not a major violation. A lot of the trip is 70 mph+, so I was able to put it in 6th gear and had no problem going over the mountains (great to have the torque)...

I admit I did "draft" off an 18 wheeler for a while, but 28 MPG is at least 10% better than I've ever gotten before. A combination of the K&N/X-Metal TB or just my driving - I'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't object if Gary started making claims that his TB improves mileage..

Someone please remind me - why did I pay a gas guzzler tax???

Ron

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive 180 miles round trip to Pocono (mostly Route 80). I try to keep it at 14 mph over the limit so if I do get caught (even with my Valentine 1), it's not a major violation. A lot of the trip is 70 mph+, so I was able to put it in 6th gear and had no problem going over the mountains (great to have the torque)...

I admit I did "draft" off an 18 wheeler for a while, but 28 MPG is at least 10% better than I've ever gotten before. A combination of the K&N/X-Metal TB or just my driving - I'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't object if Gary started making claims that his TB improves mileage..

Someone please remind me - why did I pay a gas guzzler tax???

Ron
thats awesome Ron! thanks for the post! yes, i have heard from other customers that their mileage improved, and thats a good thing!

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats awesome Ron! thanks for the post! yes, i have heard from other customers that their mileage improved, and thats a good thing!

That would be hard for me to achieve. I only work 5 miles from my home and the Viper is always floored!

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so many people were saying they would get their ccar dyno'd to show the results but i have not seen anyone post the results. does anyone have before and after results?

and to x metal, i seen a couple other single blade throttle bodies for sale. are there any differences in them? your price is the highest of them and i was just wondering if there were any advantages over your competitors.

have you done a flow comparison against them too and vs stock? i am in the market for a new TB and im trying to get as much info as i can

thanks

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so many people were saying they would get their ccar dyno'd to show the results but i have not seen anyone post the results. does anyone have before and after results?

and to x metal, i seen a couple other single blade throttle bodies for sale. are there any differences in them? your price is the highest of them and i was just wondering if there were any advantages over your competitors.

have you done a flow comparison against them too and vs stock? i am in the market for a new TB and im trying to get as much info as i can

thanks
Those are good questions. I spent 2 years on our TB, and I tested flow rates and aperature designs on 40 different TB’s I made until I found the right one. I tested here at our facility on our equipment and dynos. I also have had 3 outside sources test it on their dynos as well, to confirm my data. Our TB outperforms any on the market, hand down. In performance and not to mention looks!

Here are a few KEY points about our throttle body:

• the X-Metal TB is CNC machined on 5 different axis', visible when compared to others..thats why world record holders like Under Ground racing use our products exclusivley!

• the other TB’s on the market DO NOT have bearings installed in them! You are “expected” to remove your stock ones that are peened into the stock throttle body, and in the process render your stock TB useless.

• The X-Metal Throttle body; COMES WITH 4 BEARINGS INSTALLED!! A FOUR BEARING DESIGN IS MORE ACCURATE, AND PROVIDES A PROPER SEAL AROUND THE SHAFT AND SHAFT BORES, ALSO WE USE A IMPROVED BEARING DESIGN OVER STOCK. IF YOU HAVE EVER TRIED TO REMOVE STOCK BEARINGS, IT *****. AND WHY REUSE A BEARING??? THE CORRECT METHOD FOR INSTALATION OF A BEARING IS IN A FIXTURE IN AN ARBOR PRESS.

what will you do if, if you damage a bearing when trying to remove it from your stock TB, or when trying to reinstall it in your new TB?

wait till you price one, and or try to find one!
Is that what you want to do when you have your Viper sitting in your driveway waiting to be driven? Only you cant because you are fighting with your stock TB, trying not to damage bearings that were not meant to be removed!
Our TB can be swapped in 10-20 minutes. The others that require you to remove your bearings etc, can be a 3-4 hour job-………that is if nothing goes wrong!
  • The X-Metal TB is ready to go right out of the box, complete with picture by picture instructions.

• Our TB IS SUPPLIED WITH 4 ARP POLISHED STANLESS FASTNERS
• The X-Metal TB IS MIRROR POLISHED INSIDE AND OUT!!
• OUR THROTTLE BODY CAN BE INSTALLED IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES BY AN AVERAGE JOE.!!
i could charge a lot less for our TB if I gave you an product that had no bearings installed, wasn’t polished inside and out, didn’t include ARP polished stainless fasteners, and we have dyno sheets to back it up, and testimonials as well here on the VCA.

Our product speaks for its self. I am not opposed to doing a group buy on our TB, we just need 25 members, and in support of the VCA, I would match the price of competitors.

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I held off purchasing one of the other brand in hopes of a group purchase on the X-metal. Let's do it...I want to get this thing on my car!!

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i am leaning towards this TB as well, if a group buy was organized it would probably seal the deal for me.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure after I buy it, there is a group buy at a discount. Just like my stock picking abilities, buy high, sell low...