Gen 3 throttle body

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Shandon. Good to hear. how is your idle quality? Same as with the original?

I am certainly interested in pics and your dyno numbers before and after.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle is exactly the same. The main difference I am feeling is that every gear feels like the power is right there when you touch the pedel. I guess some might call it better throttle response. I think it feels like it's pulling a little harder now but won't know for sure until I do the Dyno. The viper runs rich to begin with so this may help but I don't know. I'll let you know early next week what I end up with.

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary I just got my throttle body and must say it is a work of art.

In Looking over the directions i noticed that I have to install the throttle blade. Question is there any potential concerns of the throttle blade locking in place if not installed 100% correct? Is it difficult to get centered?

Another question regarding the TPS - what is the likelihood it will need to be adjusted? Should I just go out and geta volt meter anyway?
just like Shandon said, just center it with pieces of paper on all 4 sides per the instructions., piece of cake.
no, you wont have to set the TPS, i am annal about tech instructions, but dont sweat that part. i have never had to set one, and i have installed a blue million of them.
enjoy your ride, and shoot some pics of your cars and if you dont mind i would love to feature them on my website if that is cool with you.
thanks again!

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idle is exactly the same. The main difference I am feeling is that every gear feels like the power is right there when you touch the pedel. I guess some might call it better throttle response. I think it feels like it's pulling a little harder now but won't know for sure until I do the Dyno. The viper runs rich to begin with so this may help but I don't know. I'll let you know early next week what I end up with.
shandon, thanks for the email, i glad you like it! thank you very much!
since you live pretty close if you ever want a free dyno run, you have it since you have Xmetal products on your car-free dyno runs!:drive: :2tu:

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

What can one expect for engine hp and torque increases on a bone stock engine with no mods?

Robbie
here is the dyno sheet from a 2004 bone stock mamba we did.
it picked up 13hp, and 10ftlbs of torque. we did nothing else to this car except for our TB.
these pics of are of our prototype TB that wasnt even deburred or polished. we took it straight out of the CNC and bolted it to the car.

Attachments

• throttle body run (Medium).jpg
    throttle body run (Medium).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF2011 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2011 (Medium).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2012 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2012 (Medium).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF2019 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2019 (Medium).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When do you think you'll have these available for a GenII?
we have our proto's made now for the GEN2, and hope to put them into production in about 3-4 weeks. we have a pretty revolutinary design in the works for the Gen 2 and i am pretty excited to release it. i just dont want to let to much out the bag yet.
the GEN 3 TB, we have a patent pending for it, and i am trying to decide if the Gen 2's demand will justify the cost. patents are crazy expensive, but i have them on our billet short throw shifter as well as our GEN 3 Tb.
but however i will be releasing the GEN 2 Airforce System throttle bodies in about a month.
thanks for asking!

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gary, received mine today. Going to the dyno tomorrow for another base run, will do the install and back to the dyno next week ...

Man this thing is a beaut, going to look great on the car!!! :)

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, received mine today. Going to the dyno tomorrow for another base run, will do the install and back to the dyno next week ...

Man this thing is a beaut, going to look great on the car!!! :)
thanks alot Jon, i appreciate it. take care my friend!:)

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SHOW ME THE ... MONEY... I mean dyno results :)

Hey X-Metal.. Where in Indiana are you? I actually live on the North side of Chicago. If your close ... I might come get my free dyno run.. (aka buy a throttle body from ya, and get actual results :) )

Let me know,

Jon

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SHOW ME THE ... MONEY... I mean dyno results :)

Hey X-Metal.. Where in Indiana are you? I actually live on the North side of Chicago. If your close ... I might come get my free dyno run.. (aka buy a throttle body from ya, and get actual results :) )

Let me know,

Jon
sure we can do that, sounds great. we are at the southern tip of IN. i have drove to Chicago several times, takes me around 4.5 hours, going the sucky way.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot. 2 bad for me. Thats quite a distance. I was hoping you were just over the line or something. Still be interested in seeing some of the people's independent Dyno results who just bought them.

Thanks,

Jon

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or at least some side by side roll on results with another Viper or ? before and after the install..

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5-10 hp difference would be negated by dirver reaction time or even the weight difference between the two drivers. thats just a small increase that in a big hp motor that along with other incremental inreases may amount to a more modest increase( filters/intake, cat-back, and throttle body, ect...)

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I was speaking of a more controlled same day test before and after the install.

Same cars, same drivers, same driver starts first, full tank etc

Better than nothing :dunno:

OP
OP
X

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
baseline before and an after install would be best as stated above same day same dyno
IF shandon would be interested in coming down, we could dyno his car as is now and then back to back with a stock throttle body, so you guys can see the difference. that is the EXACT way i have done ALL of my testing on this TB for the past 3 years. you can see a before and after dyno i run i posted earlier in this thread. we tested a stone stock '04 and then tested it with our TB (The only change was it got 10 degrees warmer outside while we were putting on the X-Metal TB-but we STILL made more than 13hp more!!
if anyone ever would like a before and after FREE dyno runs for their Xmetal TB, then we will ALWAYS offer that as a free service.
so bring your Viper by, and we will give you as many dyno runs as you like-all for free. you just need an XMetal TB.:2tu:

Attachments

• throttle%20body%20run%20%28Medium%29[1].jpg
    throttle%20body%20run%20%28Medium%29[1].jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 44

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to installing the throttle body. As I mentioned prior, the throttle body is extremely impressive looking. Very high quality and amazing machining work. I have not driven it yet but after the install i ran the car for a bit to be sure all was in order - and was.

Gary i have some constructive comments on the instructions if you dont mind -

First - The instructions do not detail how to remove the TPS plug from the TPS housing on the throttle body. For the life of me I couldnt figure it out. So i just left it attached and detached the TPS housing from the throttle body. Even after I did that and analzed the plug, I still couldnt figure it out.

Two- When inserting the throttle shaft back into the new throttle body the pics are so small and cropped you can really tell which way which way the throttle body is facing and the proper set up the throttle spring. took me a few minutes just to emulate the layout compared to the pics. After I while I fidured it out as it is not too difficult.

Again it is an amazing piece of machinery and I must comment Gary for such an impressive product. Hopefully tomorrow I will some some additional positive comments about performance.

Gary if you want to use some pics of my car and the install just let me know and I will send you some pics.

DSC073571.JPG

DSCF04691.JPG

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary I finally had s chance to really drive the car. My Initial impression is peddle response is vastly improved especially lower in the rpm range. You definitely notice is difference even when just crusiing.

As for wideopen throttle and high end power, i can not feel any real power increase yet - in fact, I think at WOT the car was a bit sluggish but i think that is because it is trying to learn from the increase in intake air from the TB. As Gary and others mentioned the computer is an adaptive system that must learn from changes is airflow. The car was definitely trying to figure it out as during a long drive, the idle varied from 1100 at times to 800 but after awihile settled back to to 800.

Kind of feels the same as when I first installed the K&N intake. With that the computer took a few days and a couple hundred miles to learn from the increase in air. Then one day it just screamed.

I hope the same happens with the TB. Gary great product and thanks for your help. Car is going to Pocono thursday and will get plenty of WOT time to adjust....

Tom

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also going to Pocono and I'm expecting the TB and K&N setup today or tomorrow. At most, I'd only be abie to put about 150 miles on the car before track time.

Given the time it takes for the computer to adjust, I should I wait to install???