Gen 4 Drive By Wire Band-Aid Fix....Sort Of

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the Gen 4 came out, many have complained or at least commented on the throttle response on tip in. I've owned multiple cars with DBW and the Viper is the one most frustrating in regards to throttle feel. I've tried to find a fix and so far the result has been better, but not right IMO. If every car had the same laggy feel as the Gen 4, then I'd get use to it...but the Gen 4 is not a daily driver. Plus, 30 years of other high performance cars and what I consider "normal" throttle response is hard to program out of me at this point.

BBG recommended these options to try, so here is a quick mini review now that I've driven the systems on the street and the track.

1. Sprint Booster throttle enhancer. What this does is change what the computer sees for the throttle position. It plugs inline at your gas pedal harnerss and has a little plastic controller about the size of a quarter. The controller is wired to the inline adapter and has a button on it that gives you 3 settings. The button has an LED light so you know what setting your on. No light means the car is in the stock mode. Push once for the green light and your on moderate throttle enhancement. Push once more and the red light means aggressive throttle enhancement. Push again and the light goes out and you're back to stock. In basic terms, if you're at 25% throttle position, the enhancer tells the computer your at say 50% throttle, everything moves faster because you have less physical pedal travel to reach 100% throttle.

Does this thing work?.....yes, actually it works just as advertised. For city and street driving, I keep it in the most aggressive setting and the car is much easier to drive in stop and go traffic, etc. On the track, I've found the aggressive setting to be almost too fast since some tracks are bumpy, etc and this causes unintentional throttle inputs as your foot moves a hair more than you expected. Depending on the track, I've found the stock setting or the moderate setting to be the most user friendly. Remember, this thing takes your physical throttle travel from lets say 4" to 2" before you're at 100% wide open. Last month I was at a private track rental at Buttonwillow. On my first time out when I really started to try to push the car, I forgot I had left the car in the most aggressive setting. This was my first time at Buttonwillow and to me the track is kinda rough. I found myself having to concentrate on the throttle to avoid "blipping the throttle" when coming around a constant radius corner and causing me to spin because of too much unintentional throttle input. Also on downshifting I was over revving my downshifting point a couple times. I thought it was just the excitment of the first run and then I realized I left the enhancer in the most aggressive setting. Putting the enhancer down to stock or moderate works for me on the track...especially if the surface is bumpy. It does not get rid of the laggy throttle, but makes it less noticeable since pedal travel is reduced and revs come up faster.

If you put the car in neutral and have enhance off, take the rpms to 2000 and push the button once, the rpms instantly jump up....do it again and they instantly jump up again. I don't remember the exact amount of rpms, but it was cool to see that FBW respond instantly (so I know it can be done!!!). Cost was around $250.00 IIRC.

2. IPSCO Gas Pedal extension. This cool little piece of machined aluminum moves your gas pedal closer to you about 3/4" so you can heel toe better. It also helps with the laggy throttle response since you don't have to push so far down on the pedal to bring up the revs and still be able to control the brake. It only takes about 5 minutes to install and can be un-installed just as quick. I find that it works well on the street too. Best $30.00 I've ever spent on my Viper. (probably the cheapest accessory I've ever bought for it too, LOL). Customer service and ship times were excellent.

3. Mopar PCM. I love that there is no more skip shift. I like the extra rpms which come into play nicely with my 3.55 gears. Nice to not have any more check engine lights. I didn't notice a damn thing regarding better throttle response. I hope SRT has a "reflash" they can do for those of us that have already bought the Mopar PCM to make the FBW actually fly!!

I would say I've made the car better (for how I feel the throttle should be) but it is still not right. Dodge isn't the only ones with complaints about DBW....my wifes 2008 Sequoia had the exact opposite problem, the tip in was so touchy that whenever I'd drive it (which was rarely) everyones head would snap back when taking off from a stop. Toyota actually reprogramed the entire system when the complaints came out about run away Toyotas. It helped, but was still a little too touchy on tip in...this caused my wife to trade the truck in. Her 2011 ML550 feels great. Smooth on take off with plenty of feel and predictability. Something Dodge had to understand is although this is a minor thing, car feel is one of the things people remember and talk about when explaining what car they like or what car they enjoy driving.

Hopefully Dodge will come up with a reflash soon.

Cheers,
George

F

FrgMstr

Did 2 and 3 to my 08, did greatly help with heal / toe.

Will look into 1, thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might have to try the sprint booster. Where is the throttle harness? Thanks

Ron

Your gas pedal assembly has a harness connected to it. You unplug the stock harness and this goes inline...super easy since all the connectors are matched. Then you put the push button controller wherever you want (it has about a 30" long wire). I used a spot of double sided tape and mounted it on the left front section of the tunnel....just under the fan speed knob for the AC/heat.

George

F

FrgMstr

Interesting, it looks to simply shorten the throttle pedal throw making smaller pedal manipulations have a bigger impact of throttle position.
You must be registered for see images

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting, it looks to simply shorten the throttle pedal throw making smaller pedal manipulations have a bigger impact of throttle position.
You must be registered for see images

That is really all the sprint booster does, just makes the curve more aggressive by moving the endpoint for WOT closer to 3/4 throttle, so it feels snappier but it's only shortening the pedal bandwidth. It doesn't really improve the lag though.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds interesting...

What model booster did you use? The website doesn't show a system for a Viper....

Dodge Boosters

Thanks for the info...

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds interesting...

What model booster did you use? The website doesn't show a system for a Viper....

Dodge Boosters

Thanks for the info...

The part number sent to me was part number SBDO0011S and this is the one that has the 3 options of off, moderate and aggressive enhancement. The first one they sent me was the original style which was always on with no option to adjust or turn off unless it was uninstalled. That part number was SBJE1011 (don't let them send you this one).

I it bought from a company in Canada called Johnston Research & Performance. I don't know if they are still distributors for them but their number is 905-822-7223

Don't believe the graph posted above, the new design with the on the fly adjustability is way more aggressive than that graph suggests when set to the max setting, especially at the beginning of the throttle travel. I talked to the head guy for Sprint at the SEMA show and he confirmed that the new multiple option unit was faster than the graph suggests.

Just to be clear, it will not get rid of the lag, but it feels 100% better for street driving because the throttle travel to lag time is now at least 50% less and fools you into thinking you have a more responsive motor. Much easier to drive the car in stop and go traffic, etc. The bottom line, for actual road racing I don't think it is as valuable as it is for street driving.

I'm not sure what their return policy is, maybe they have a 30 day satisfaction policy :dunno:

Cheers,
George

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The site does show this one listed, however only for a 2010. I sent the company a quick email last night, will share if I get a reply.

Thanks. That's a helluva find.

I called on the phone and talked to Mini Mania. They weren't aware that the had the system for the Viper until I sent them the link????.....:dunno:

They are going to call me back....

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The unit fits a variety of Chrysler cars, they give each one its own part number probably to make it more exclusive. I know the company in Canada knew their stuff pretty good. The manufacturers are out of Greece, the guy running the show in the North America has the first name of Stravros IIRC....he would be the one I'd talk to if he's still with the company.

George

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. That's a helluva find.

I called on the phone and talked to Mini Mania. They weren't aware that the had the system for the Viper until I sent them the link????.....:dunno:

They are going to call me back....
Over three hundred bucks to fortify the gas pedal? What is this thing actually? Seems like a digital potentiometer of some kind, most likely less than 20 bucks worth of parts... Loading up shoes with lead should be cheaper for those who cannot step on the gas pedal with some authority when needed... Sorry but this is funny IMO, minus the Sprint Booster makers who are cashing in like mad on this invention...

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over three hundred bucks to fortify the gas pedal? What is this thing actually? Seems like a digital potentiometer of some kind, most likely less than 20 bucks worth of parts... Loading up shoes with lead should be cheaper for those who cannot step on the gas pedal with some authority when needed... Sorry but this is funny IMO, minus the Sprint Booster makers who are cashing in like mad on this invention...

Actually, if it was made in China, it would be max, maybe $5.00 worth of parts.
I'm pretty sure that an IPad or IPhone costs next to nothing in parts to make....to bad you need the intellectual technology to make the damn thing work :lmao:

It is nothing more than an adjustable digital potentiometer in my opinion. Making the molds to interface with each manufacturers wiring harness is where the big cost is.

Cheers,
George

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, if it was made in China, it would be max, maybe $5.00 worth of parts.
I'm pretty sure that an IPad or IPhone costs next to nothing in parts to make....to bad you need the intellectual technology to make the damn thing work :lmao:

It is nothing more than an adjustable digital potentiometer in my opinion. Making the molds to interface with each manufacturers wiring harness is where the big cost is.

Cheers,
George
And what makes you think this is not made in China? LOL Throttle response is a matter of acquired taste, shortening the sweep means you limit control over it, one of those glass is half full/half empty things. I think it is pretty ironic that what should be fixed, the skip shift eliminator is not addressed but wow, we can have a razor sharp throttle instead. Each to their own but personally, as long as skip shift is not cured, I'd just step on the throttle harder if needed. IMO, totally irrelevant band aid. BTW, I love that gas pedal extender, kinda like platform shoes to make people feel taller. LMAO

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what makes you think this is not made in China? LOL Throttle response is a matter of acquired taste, shortening the sweep means you limit control over it, one of those glass is half full/half empty things. I think it is pretty ironic that what should be fixed, the skip shift eliminator is not addressed but wow, we can have a razor sharp throttle instead. Each to their own but personally, as long as skip shift is not cured, I'd just step on the throttle harder if needed. IMO, totally irrelevant band aid. BTW, I love that gas pedal extender, kinda like platform shoes to make people feel taller. LMAO

Peter,

Upon further review I found out the following:

-The Sprint Booster is made in the Chinatown part of Athens, Greece.....good catch! :2tu:

-There is no fix and never will be for the skip shift eliminator on a Gen 4....don't even bother looking, it just doesn't exist and nothing you can buy will ever fix it, especially on 2009 and 2010's :(

-Thankfully Sparco racing shoes have just come out with their new platform soled, Nomex lined racing shoes....how the hell did I miss those?? Now I can be the tallest dude on the grid :headbang:

-Reading comprehension....not as easy as most people think :rolleyes:

In the meantime, enjoy your Gen 4.

Cheers,
George

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter,

Upon further review I found out the following:

-The Sprint Booster is made in the Chinatown part of Athens, Greece.....good catch! :2tu:

-There is no fix and never will be for the skip shift eliminator on a Gen 4....don't even bother looking, it just doesn't exist and nothing you can buy will ever fix it, especially on 2009 and 2010's :(

-Thankfully Sparco racing shoes have just come out with their new platform soled, Nomex lined racing shoes....how the hell did I miss those?? Now I can be the tallest dude on the grid :headbang:

-Reading comprehension....not as easy as most people think :rolleyes:

In the meantime, enjoy your Gen 4.

Cheers,
George
Well, if this thing is really made in Greece, that pretty much explains why a couple of connectors and potentiometer ended up costing 330 bucks. Since I already have to adapt to my tranny insisting on skipping gears, I think this should prime me quite well to adapt to the throttle response. Since my car will be staying on jackstands for the next few months, I am willing to bet neither one will bother me. Cheers:2tu:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW....

I ordered a booster for my 08 track car. Hard to believe the little device could make a difference,... but it does.
I have been using the red, or middle setting on the track.
It does take a little getting used to. The throttle response, especially at shift points, is much quicker.
Now that I have used it for a while. I really like it....:dunno:

I think TRACKAIRE's description describes the device the best. Although I have "adapted" to feel comfortable on track...

Just to be clear, it will not get rid of the lag, but it feels 100% better for street driving because the throttle travel to lag time is now at least 50% less and fools you into thinking you have a more responsive motor. Much easier to drive the car in stop and go traffic, etc. The bottom line, for actual road racing I don't think it is as valuable as it is for street driving.

Cheers,
George

Ask for Jemal....

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/whyitworks.cfm

Part # SPR2046 (For a 2009 Challenger/manual trans.)

Last edited:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple install and not expensive. Maybe these guys sent some samples to SRT for development work on the Gen V :D

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!
I just purchased a Skip Shift Eliminator from SpeedLogix.....and it works!
Took about 3 minutes to install.
After 200 miles, no 1-4 BS as AppleMaps sent me on a wild goose chase through a rough neighborhood in downtown Dayton ("Make a U-turn....make a U-turn...make a U-turn..." ***?!?!?), and no CEL.
The downside is they charge you $9 to ship it (*cough*scam*cough*).

The model was the one for the 2010 Challenger, which has the exact same TR-6060 transmission as we have.
-------------------------------------
Regarding the throttle......holy FAIL, Batman. It's not only annoying as f**k, but it's dangerous as hell when city driving.
Mine has a very interesting 'lurch' feature just before the power band kicks in. I think the contact tab gets caught between a couple of contacts on the ***, and this confuses the computer- more gas? less gas? let's just do more to be safe! Crazy.

I have a Sprint Booster on the way, but the posts here only make me semi-optimistic.

I have heard that the throttle in the '10s is ***much*** better than the '08s (mine).
Is there a different part number for the '10 pedal assy?
Maybe that's an option.

Thanks for the info, TrackAire!
This Gen.3 expert & Gen.4 newb appreciates it.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!
After 200 miles, no 1-4 BS as AppleMaps sent me on a wild goose chase through a rough neighborhood in downtown Dayton ("Make a U-turn....make a U-turn...make a U-turn..." ***?!?!?), and no CEL.

The model was the one for the 2010 Challenger, which has the exact same TR-6060 transmission as we have.

Hook up a scan tool and check to be sure there isn't a stored code. (P080B) The computer will store a certain number of missed skip shift cycles before the CEL is displayed. This was my experience with my 2010.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!

Regarding the throttle......holy FAIL, Batman. It's not only annoying as f**k, but it's dangerous as hell when city driving.
Mine has a very interesting 'lurch' feature just before the power band kicks in. I think the contact tab gets caught between a couple of contacts on the ***, and this confuses the computer- more gas? less gas? let's just do more to be safe! Crazy.

I have a Sprint Booster on the way, but the posts here only make me semi-optimistic.

I have heard that the throttle in the '10s is ***much*** better than the '08s (mine).
Is there a different part number for the '10 pedal assy?
Maybe that's an option.

Thanks for the info, TrackAire!
This Gen.3 expert & Gen.4 newb appreciates it.

What year Gen 4 did you install it on?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im surprised you did not notice better throttle response with the Mopar PCM as its supposed to cure it. I have not done the PCM and dont plan on it as I am used to the cheesy response now at the track but work around it with my blips. Just had to get used to it after driving my Gen 2 with perfect response.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hook up a scan tool and check to be sure there isn't a stored code. (P080B) The computer will store a certain number of missed skip shift cycles before the CEL is displayed. This was my experience with my 2010.
After almost 300 miles and hundreds of shifts:
No current codes.
No stored codes.
0/0

(Equipment: Equus Innova 3160 ABS+CanOBD II)

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so we can install the skip shift eliminator on Gen 4?
After almost 300 miles and hundreds of shifts:
No current codes.
No stored codes.
0/0

(Equipment: Equus Innova 3160 ABS+CanOBD II)

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so we can install the skip shift eliminator on Gen 4?
I'm sure the EPA, and CAFE folks will say "Don't you dare!".
But I did. And it's working just fine.

The 'upshift now!' light still comes on, but that info comes from the computer; not the transmission.
It's very easy to ignore the little light (or just pull the instrument panel and black-out/cover the bulb).
If things change, I'll update you folks. In the meantime, no news is good news. :)