Gen 4 Drive By Wire Band-Aid Fix....Sort Of

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.....who's going to be the first 2009 or 2010 owner to try the skip shift delete?
The install is about as difficult as microwaving popcorn.

Come on....some of our brethren below the 32nd Parallel still have their cars out....
:D

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thread pretty much has the same info as this one. It's a bummer than 09/10 guys are left out in the breeze with the skip shift.
And all of us Gen.4 guys are screwed when it comes to access to the computer.
Damn lawyers. :D

What's odd is that the 2010-current Challengers run the same TR-6060 transmission, yet throw no codes.
A friend of mine is putting (2) in his 2010 Camaro SS and his 2011 ZL-1. Again, same TR-6060 transmission....I'll let ya know on any codes.

So what is involved in erasing the ECL codes?
Clearing a CEL is VERY easy. Almost all the code readers have the ability to do it. They range in price from $30 to $25,000.
Pull into AutoZone and they'll do it for $0.00. :)

BTW- did anyone find out if there are different part numbers for the throttle pedal assy. between 2008 and 2010?
That may provide some insight as to whether it's a part change or a computer program change to repair throttle response.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's odd is that the 2010-current Challengers run the same TR-6060 transmission, yet throw no codes.
A friend of mine is putting (2) in his 2010 Camaro SS and his 2011 ZL-1. Again, same TR-6060 transmission....I'll let ya know on any codes.

Clearing a CEL is VERY easy. Almost all the code readers have the ability to do it. They range in price from $30 to $25,000.
Pull into AutoZone and they'll do it for $0.00. :)

What is really odd is the fact that any other cars that have this feature do not put up a fight as last vipers trying to override the shift skip. In a vette, with the same tranny, you can easily go into second, in a viper, you need a sledge hammer to do this.

So I guess this is another dead end, if this kicks in after six shifts, I won't even make it through one block in semi heavy traffic.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the Sprint Booster today (thanks for the tip, TrackAire!)
It works. It REALLY works.

Does it make DBW feel exactly like a cable?
Nope.
Does it get it a lot closer?
Yep.

The throttle is a little more 'normal' now, but still has some digital issues.
The hesitation I was experienceing around 2000-2300 rpm is gone (thank supreme being!)
The car is MUCH more managable to drive in traffic.

JEG'S has the Sprint Booster for $288 and it comes with the little remote.
(NOT affiliated with them in anyway)
CORRECTION: JEG'S price matches, even online prices. Amazon.com had it for $288, but with a 2-4 month wait; JEG'S had it in stock and matched the price.

I'm still trying to get into the computer.
Waiting to hear back from a few real experts on the computer stuff.
Updates when I get them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the Sprint Booster today (thanks for the tip, TrackAire!)
It works. It REALLY works.

Does it make DBW feel exactly like a cable?
Nope.
Does it get it a lot closer?
Yep.

The throttle is a little more 'normal' now, but still has some digital issues.
The hesitation I was experienceing around 2000-2300 rpm is gone (thank supreme being!)
The car is MUCH more managable to drive in traffic.

JEG'S has the Sprint Booster for $288 and it comes with the little remote.
(NOT affiliated with them in anyway)
CORRECTION: JEG'S price matches, even online prices. Amazon.com had it for $288, but with a 2-4 month wait; JEG'S had it in stock and matched the price.

I'm still trying to get into the computer.
Waiting to hear back from a few real experts on the computer stuff.
Updates when I get them.

Glad it helped.

I find it most useful in street driving, stop and go, etc. Be careful if you track the car on bumpy surfaces....I forgot it in the red setting first time out on Buttonwillow and the bumpy track caused my foot to move more than I wanted in the corners. Actually made the rear kick out unexpectedly for some interesting pucker moments. Figured it out after the first session and put it back to the stock setting for the rest of the day. Ran Thunderhill a week ago and the medium or green setting was perfect since that track seemed smoother to me.

I have the Mopar controller (did not notice any better throttle response) and hopefully SRT will listen to Gen 4 owners multiple requests for a least an update to the controller we've already paid for to make the throttle response normal.

Out of basic respect for the customer, SRT should let us know if this is going to happen or never happen.....the lack of response is insulting.

You won't find any other computer upgrade or alternative without spending about $20000.00 for either Motec or Pectel type upgrade (if you're trying to do forced induction, etc)

Cheers,
George

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"...the lack of response is insulting."
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
1337 internet points for the wicked pun.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 reasons why they won't let folks into their spiffy new computer system:
1. Liability. No one likes getting served a subpoena. :)
2. Warranty. There's warranty remaining on many of the Gen.4 cars, and the whole void/didn't void thing comes into play.

Why doesn't Mopar/Chrysler do a 'real' computer that addresses ALL of the issues?
Because even if they sold 10,000 of them this week, we would be a million miles away from the money they make on replacing window control switches in Caravans and rental-car Chargers.
There's no money to be made, so they're not going to invest ANY time/money.

I will honestly say that after reading the reviews (here and elsewhere) about the Stage 1 controller from Mopar, and it's inability to correct something as painfully simple as the throttle control issue, I did NOT purchase one.

It's okay folks. I have a couple of pros working on the computer thing for us.
These guys KNOW Chrysler products and their computer systems inside and out.
When I get more info, I will be sure to pass it along.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This seems to be the only sensible solution. Chrysler left all viper owners out in the cold and can care less. Pretty insulting actually, seeing how easy things are to adjust on corvette, including ECU.
"...the lack of response is insulting."
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
1337 internet points for the wicked pun.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 reasons why they won't let folks into their spiffy new computer system:
1. Liability. No one likes getting served a subpoena. :)
2. Warranty. There's warranty remaining on many of the Gen.4 cars, and the whole void/didn't void thing comes into play.

Why doesn't Mopar/Chrysler do a 'real' computer that addresses ALL of the issues?
Because even if they sold 10,000 of them this week, we would be a million miles away from the money they make on replacing window control switches in Caravans and rental-car Chargers.
There's no money to be made, so they're not going to invest ANY time/money.

I will honestly say that after reading the reviews (here and elsewhere) about the Stage 1 controller from Mopar, and it's inability to correct something as painfully simple as the throttle control issue, I did NOT purchase one.

It's okay folks. I have a couple of pros working on the computer thing for us.
These guys KNOW Chrysler products and their computer systems inside and out.
When I get more info, I will be sure to pass it along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62