Gen 4 K&N Twin Intake Vs. Stock Air Box

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing mixed reviews on this kit I already have it installed but was wondering if there has been any back to back testing Vs. the stock system on the dyno or track.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't see a loosing HP on the dyno maybe on the track do to ram air effect maybe? Any links I searched and couldn't find any threads.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this question was always on my head because my viper is installed with k&n , and posted a thread regarding it, what i found is that the factory air box is the best option, due to ram air effect and with k&n , a possible contamination of the sensor may be an issue

i think that i will reinstall the factory air box soon

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what do u think guys if we install the factory air box with this k&n filter element ? any one tried it ? and do u think it will lose u HP comparing to k&n full intake kit ?

You must be registered for see images attach

i think with this we will still have the advantage of the factory air box but will still suffer the sensor contamination !!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of the engineers have mentioned that they have done many tests and the factory filter/setup is hard to beat and maximizes power.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will be really hard to tell back to back results. Dyno numbers change on every pull +/-. Installing or removing the K&N takes about an hour at best.
I had it on for a while and removed it and went with smooth tubes and stock air box. I kind of got tired of looking at the huge filters and red air tubes.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing a K&N takes 15 mins. Same with going back to the stock setup.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone verify if there as an update to the twin filter kit? Mine has two half circle baffles welded in each pipe up stream and on the opposite side of the MAF sensor? I talked to some people and they said there kit did not have this baffle?

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did not like the Typhoon kit on my stock 2010 coupe. I took it off after one day and went back to the stock bok with the flat panel K&N filter.... I have no data to substantiate this but its seems better than the Typhoon to me.

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been asking the same question for a month since I bought my 08. I have heard the same thing from many shops and owners. The typhoon hurts the HP. It looks great but takes away HP. I was at a shop getting work done when A guy with a 2010 with the typhoon drove up and he was complaining about his car just not having the go it used to. That was what sealed the deal for me NO Typhoon. But DANG IT LOOKS SWEET!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think with the stock box and a k/n will hurt, i run one in my track car with stock box and have had no issues. does it make the car more hp? maybe wound up high on the pipe. who knows

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been asking the same question for a month since I bought my 08. I have heard the same thing from many shops and owners. The typhoon hurts the HP. It looks great but takes away HP. I was at a shop getting work done when A guy with a 2010 with the typhoon drove up and he was complaining about his car just not having the go it used to. That was what sealed the deal for me NO Typhoon. But DANG IT LOOKS SWEET!
I find this claim about no go hard to believe. Seems like 10-12 hp loss maybe? At least IMO, you cannot feel 2 percent difference in horsepower unless someone wants to feel it ahead of time. However, the fact there is no gain should be a deal breaker all on its own to spend money on this thing.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find this claim about no go hard to believe. Seems like 10-12 hp loss maybe? At least IMO, you cannot feel 2 percent difference in horsepower unless someone wants to feel it ahead of time. However, the fact there is no gain should be a deal breaker all on its own to spend money on this thing.

Agreed. 'No go' on a newer Viper traditionally means the cats are clogging as a first guess, certainly wouldn't blame the K&N setup...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. 'No go' on a newer Viper in traditionally means the cats are clogging as a first guess, certainly wouldn't blame the K&N setup...

Better man then me when you can feel 10hp on a 600 + hp car :) I'm just trying to figure out what the baffles are for? A to slow air flow, or B to change the Maf sensor reading.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will dyno my car and see what I find out on both intakes!

your not gonna get correct results on a dyno verses (road load) its differant type of pull. so dont go by that, only way to test is the old fashioned way at the track, balls out down the stretch,and wont feel the differance like that... jmo

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your not gonna get correct results on a dyno verses (road load) its differant type of pull. so dont go by that, only way to test is the old fashioned way at the track, balls out down the stretch,and wont feel the differance like that... jmo

True but if your down or the same on the dyno no way the k&n is going to be better when moving.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A buddy with a v-box would come in handy for something like this...

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats what he said. It just doesn't seem to move like it used to. And if you take 10 to 12 HP away from a car and take away some air the motor is getting you will feel it big time. When I asked the guys at the shop about it they said it can mess with the computer. So if that is the case you would totally feel the loss. Just like with the ipod interface in my ride. It messed with the computer and my car drove so strange. I have only owned a Viper for a short time but have already found out they are very finicky with some things. But I also agree that if you are lookimg for it you will feel it

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess will see I build and tune cars and feeling a 10hp diff in a high horse power car is pretty hard more of a chance the car was pulling timing and adding fuel cause of knock just my two cents!

Scottsviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That makes sense as well. I agree that 10 HP in a 600 HP car is nothing but effecting the computer you would feel. If you get anymore info on this I would love to hear it because I really wanted to put the typhoon on my car. I love the look. It gives the car a great race look under the hood
I guess will see I build and tune cars and feeling a 10hp diff in a high horse power car is pretty hard more of a chance the car was pulling timing and adding fuel cause of knock just my two cents!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what he said. It just doesn't seem to move like it used to. And if you take 10 to 12 HP away from a car and take away some air the motor is getting you will feel it big time. When I asked the guys at the shop about it they said it can mess with the computer. So if that is the case you would totally feel the loss. Just like with the ipod interface in my ride. It messed with the computer and my car drove so strange. I have only owned a Viper for a short time but have already found out they are very finicky with some things. But I also agree that if you are lookimg for it you will feel it
I think he was most likely referring to possible change in driveability, like maybe the air intake was more restrictive, causing the engine to bog down or maybe flowing too well and computer not being able to adjust the A/F? I hope K&N folks do some kind of testing before selling these things, LOL. Hard to speculate without knowing what other mods the car had.