Gen 4 Motor What Hp is it Good For Stock

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much Whp can the various compents handle? I know the stock pistons are the weakest link from what I read what Whp is safe on them and what about stock rods etc? Looking to do an engine build this winter and am new to Vipers so educate me please.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big question is... what are you looking to do now or in the future? What is your goal?

Thinking of spraying the car for a year then building a twin turbo kit the year after. Looking to figure out at what power levels what compents need to be upgraded but not many of the Gen 4's have been built up from what I can find?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will need a full build in either case, as I would not push Gen-4's much over 700 horsepower in stock form. However, you should understand going into it that Gen-4's need full engine management systems in order to have Forced Induction, and this is a pretty expensive item to factor into your overall build cost.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a full build in either case, as I would not push Gen-4's much over 700 horsepower in stock form. However, you should understand going into it that Gen-4's need full engine management systems in order to have Forced Induction, and this is a pretty expensive item to factor into your overall build cost.

Yes Dan I'm aware of the expense to go stand alone that is why I was thinking of doing that this winter and then spraying the car for a season while I build the turbo kit. But a full build on these motors consists of what? Rods, pistons, ????????

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes Dan I'm aware of the expense to go stand alone that is why I was thinking of doing that this winter and then spraying the car for a season while I build the turbo kit. But a full build on these motors consists of what? Rods, pistons, ????????

Rods, Pistons, Bearings, Caps, Custom Studs all around, Coatings, Options, Peripheral items, some other hardware that should be upsized, etc.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much Whp can the various compents handle? I know the stock pistons are the weakest link from what I read what Whp is safe on them and what about stock rods etc? Looking to do an engine build this winter and am new to Vipers so educate me please.

I am getting the Nitrous kit soon for my gen 4. Can spray anything from 50-125hp with the jets supplied in the kit. Went with the PSI kit. I wont go over 100hp shot with my stock engine and plan on replacing the pushrods before start playing with nitrous. Stock pushrods on the gen 4 engines are junk so get the ACR-X ones in chromoly and call it a day.

Start ordering your forged pistons, rods, main caps, gaskets, main bearings, etc... and get ready for the rebuild as the engine is not gonna take it for long especially with the 100 jets if you wanna spray all the time. Nitrous is addictive as we all know.

Engine rebuilds are very expensive with this Gen 4 vipers and is way more involved than only pistons and rods. Tunning is the bigger problem at the moment.

The advantage of going nitrous is that you can tune your car on the dyno with the jets provided and achieve a 11:1 air-fuel ratio and be OK with it using good gas and colder spark plugs.

Turbo is going to cost you a fortune for the kit and also the 6k-10k ECUs, viper tax, tuning, etc.. Be ready to spend +35K if you plan on going T.T on these cars(not counting the engine rebuild).

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys not looking for EMS, or turbo kits just what in the motor needs to be upgraded at what power levels.

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had great luck with greg good...... give him a call....He can help put you in the right direction!