Gen I Head Gaskets?!?!?!?!?!?!?

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have any GEN I viper owners had problems with head gaskets. I have my 1993 Viper in the shop and has been for 4 weeks waiting for GEN I updated triple ply head gaskets coming from CA. I was told that the OEM updated head gaskets are still not that good and will blow out again, so I am waiting and paying more money for racing head gaskets that won't blow out. Not mention my GEN I also has transmission issue and won't shift into 4th or 5th gear.

Any experience or advice will be appreciated.:crazy2:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, very common problem on Gen 1 cars. The gaskets that people usually get to replace them are from the MLS type (multi-layered steel if my hunch is correct), not sure if that is the same as triple ply ones. Transmission problem sounds like a 4-5th synchro ring?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Racing head gaskets? As far as I've ever heard, there is only ONE Gen 1 Headgasket set and thats the one that Dodge bends you over a barrell for ($1250 list price)..which by the way, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with. The paper gaskets, yes a big common problem on Gen 1's, but never heard a complaint about the MLS updated style

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any GEN I viper owners had problems with head gaskets. I have my 1993 Viper in the shop and has been for 4 weeks waiting for GEN I updated triple ply head gaskets coming from CA. I was told that the OEM updated head gaskets are still not that good and will blow out again, so I am waiting and paying more money for racing head gaskets that won't blow out. Not mention my GEN I also has transmission issue and won't shift into 4th or 5th gear.

Any experience or advice will be appreciated.:crazy2:

Who ever told you that, does NOT know what they are talking about!! The MLS gaskets IS the fix for GENI's! I have done hundreds of them and have NOT had ANY of them fail!! This so called shop you have your Viper at, I hope they haven't had your heads off all this time! If your heads have been off for four week and they did not bolt the sleeves down, you WILL have more problems with you motor! :omg: The GENI motors are the only true wet sleeve motor and if you take your heads off and don't bolt down the liners, they may start to move breaking the seal at the bottom of the liner!!

The head gaskets have been on back order for a little while now! I have five sets on order, that's how many I use!

If you would like to talk about your Viper in more detail, give me a call.
914-763-3136

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chucks your man. He did mine in January even though they were NOT leaking. I had them done so I would not end up with a problem.

OP
OP
D

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who ever told you that, does NOT know what they are talking about!! The MLS gaskets IS the fix for GENI's! I have done hundreds of them and have NOT had ANY of them fail!! This so called shop you have your Viper at, I hope they haven't had your heads off all this time! If your heads have been off for four week and they did not bolt the sleeves down, you WILL have more problems with you motor! :omg: The GENI motors are the only true wet sleeve motor and if you take your heads off and don't bolt down the liners, they may start to move breaking the seal at the bottom of the liner!!

The head gaskets have been on back order for a little while now! I have five sets on order, that's how many I use!

If you would like to talk about your Viper in more detail, give me a call.
914-763-3136
Chuck,

I'm not a motor guy, so when I go into the shop and look at the motor, how will I know if they didn't bolt down the liners? Can I take pictures this easily to show proof that this was not done properly if it wasn't? I will approach the mechanic tomorrow in person at the shop and ask questions and take pictures.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
D

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car Quest in Holt, MI...they do great work or have in the past on my Saleen.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish you knew about Rod Harris at Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth, MI. You would not have these issues. I wonder what else he doesn't know that is unique to Gen1 Vipers. Example, crossover gaskets, atv on crossover bolts, etc.

OP
OP
D

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say crossover gaskets and ATV on crossover bolts, etc?