Gen II Main Bearing Caps....

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone know where to purchase stock main caps? Looked in the parts listing and couldn't find a part number for them. Machine shop is having an issue with my #4 cap and need to get a replacement one. Only need one and not the set.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should really upgrade to some nice ones, its a must do on vipers if you are trying to make anymore than 1k hp.

Dan, are those aftermarket caps expensive?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You should really upgrade to some nice ones, its a must do on vipers if you are trying to make anymore than 1k hp.

Dan, are those aftermarket caps expensive?

Billet Caps are about 750.00, and machining to install them will run about the same. [assuming a bare block]

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have your engine apart do it now! Upgrade to billet mains.

Not a day goes by that I don't kick myself for not doing it when I had the opportunity.:brick:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have your engine apart do it now! Upgrade to billet mains.

Not a day goes by that I don't kick myself for not doing it when I had the opportunity.:brick:

All depends. If you have zero intention of ever going north of 1000... then its an unnecessary expense.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you never know. At the time I redid my engine I "never" had the intention of going beyond 1000hp. Now I wish I had. :rolleyes:

Are you still on the stock caps with the numbers in your sig? Had a chance to look at them since (dropping pan or something), any sign of walk/stress?

I'm curious how strong the factory main caps are, they are braced well enough, and the motors don't turn a ton of RPM so ridiculous piston speed isn't a factor. Just thinking out loud.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
always heard good for about 800-900 rwhp. above that and its a matter of time

i did them to be safe when i built the engine. ya never know and i do know my luck

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you still on the stock caps with the numbers in your sig? Had a chance to look at them since (dropping pan or something), any sign of walk/stress?

I'm curious how strong the factory main caps are, they are braced well enough, and the motors don't turn a ton of RPM so ridiculous piston speed isn't a factor. Just thinking out loud.

Nah, the car is detuned to around 740rwhp right now. The 1300 number was when they had it on the dyno and only did it once. One of these days when I get around to getting an AEM I'll have it tuned to around 1000 and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62