Gen III & IV Values Once 2013 is out?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see prices continuing to raise.

Vipers are so rare in general and the srt10s look so brand new despite being a 10 year old desighn that people will continue to lust for them. 2003s are holding strong at 44k acording to kbb but real world 40k is the norm.

you have a 120k viper emerge next year and many will dream for it. But wont be able to aford it.

BUT THEY will be able to afford a 40-65k srt10.

Then factor that a vert wont be an option the first year like weve been hearing. How mANY WILL TAKE A WEAK SAUCE 510-600 HP SRT10 VERT?

As well I belieave many will lust for the rawness of the gen1-2 and 3. The gen4 is a bit softer in the lower rpms than the previous generations and I belieave the gen4 will be even softer.

In time these very raw older vipers will have quite a audience. As far as Im concerned they already do. a Gen1 still commends 50% of its 50k base price 20 years later. That is outstanding.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the C6 Vette cam out what happened to C5 values ?
When they updated the Mustang in 2005 what happened to 2004 gen values ?
When they built the new Camaro what happened to the value of the previous generation ?
When the new CTS-V came out what happened to the value of the previous generation CTS-V ?

Any examples of where a fresh well received new design helped the value of the previous generation car in the relative short term ?

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Viper will most likely not be out till the end of 2012 or early 2013.

Annual production will not be huge, so expect a bit of a wait, as pent up demand for a new Viper most likely will have them in short supply.

Used Vipers are currently a pretty good value, but not as good as a year ago when the economy tanked. (that was the time to buy).

As the economy improves, prices should firm up even a bit more. Low mileage Vipers in popular colors have become more expensive lately, as some wish to get their dream car before the less raw new viper is announced.

In April, VCA members will get a second look at the car. Some will choose to wait, and others will decide it is not for them and decide to get one of the current models.

In late September, some pre production models (maybe production) will be available for closer inspection at the VOI in NC. Again some will place orders for the new Viper, while others will begin snapping up the few remaining previous Generations left on the market.

Think you can feel pretty good about buying a used Viper right now, as there are still some good deals out there.

It was my understanding a full production ready Viper was going to be shown in April at the auto show, for everyone to see.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they built the new Camaro what happened to the value of the previous generation ?
When the new CTS-V came out what happened to the value of the previous generation CTS-V ?

Any examples of where a fresh well received new design helped the value of the previous generation car in the relative short term ?

There is one major factor here you must consider. Modability. Chrysler has a long track record of being the only manufacturer that doesn't support the aftermarket. With each generation car, they make it harder and harder to mod. If they make the Gen V even less mod friendly I could see that helping Gen III values for those who want heavily modded cars.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cherry picking a couple cars off Ebay and you can justify any price point.
You have absolutely NO idea of their condition or if they were flogged to death.
But those are far from the norm.
And I will bet (as is always the case) when you see the car in person you'll NOW why it's going cheap.

My original comment was "I've seen used GEN4 ACRs sell as low as $65k will less than 10K miles." I never said this was the norm. I said they could be had for 'as low as $65K', then the comments came that said "Good luck finding one for that price", when I already have. The fact is, a couple good, unmutilated, ACRs can easily be had for the $70K+ range, right now, this very moment, no waiting in line. People aren't rushing to buy them. By the time the GEN-V is obtainable in show room floors, the ACR will unfortunately settle into what is it's lower price range right now, which is in the 60K's - 70K's. It's the way it works with any model car, including Lambo's, Ferrari's, and Vette's. Tell me when, in your lifetime, have you ever seen a new model of ANY vehicle drive the price of the immediate previous generation up. ??? NEVER.

When the 458 came out, 430's could be had for well under $100K.

Just the facts Ma'am.

Thanks you! Someone with his head out of the clouds!
I really wish the GEN-V would raise the value of all Vipers, I really do, but it's just not gonna happen.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the way it works with any model car, including Lambo's, Ferrari's, and Vette's. Tell me when, in your lifetime, have you ever seen a new model of ANY vehicle drive the price of the immediate previous generation up. ??? NEVER.

I really wish the GEN-V would raise the value of all Vipers, I really do, but it's just not gonna happen.

Now, now: There are some folks that "wish" it would happen so please don't rain on their parade...:smirk:

In reality, nobody has any clue what is going to happen but you do have a well-structured argument...Get out and :drive:

F

FrgMstr

The fact is, a couple good, unmutilated, ACRs can easily be had for the $70K+ range, right now, this very moment, no waiting in line.

Could you PM me the information on those. I have a buddy looking. Thanks!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original comment was "I've seen used GEN4 ACRs sell as low as $65k will less than 10K miles." I never said this was the norm. I said they could be had for 'as low as $65K', then the comments came that said "Good luck finding one for that price", when I already have. The fact is, a couple good, unmutilated, ACRs can easily be had for the $70K+ range, right now, this very moment, no waiting in line. People aren't rushing to buy them. By the time the GEN-V is obtainable in show room floors, the ACR will unfortunately settle into what is it's lower price range right now, which is in the 60K's - 70K's. It's the way it works with any model car, including Lambo's, Ferrari's, and Vette's. Tell me when, in your lifetime, have you ever seen a new model of ANY vehicle drive the price of the immediate previous generation up. ??? NEVER.

When the 458 came out, 430's could be had for well under $100K.

Just the facts Ma'am.

Thanks you! Someone with his head out of the clouds!

I don't think you'll find any "quality" 430's for under $100k without a story behind the price....if you do, please send me the link as I might be interested in a non spyder.

Cheers,
George

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F430s sit at 120k plus easy..

Camaro and this and that blah blah blah. This is a completely differant class of car.

30k vipers in the world.

20k gen1and2s

10k srts

Factoring the wrecked and parted out cars thinning the very small herd and maybe 25k vipers in the world.

Weve already seen this first hand. The gen 1 is a 25k car. The gen 2 is still a 35k car. The gen 3 is still a 45k car. All still hovering at 45-55% of their origional msrp.

We have been blessed. you know what a late 90s or early 2000s corvette or lexus,mercedes,porshe ect sell for?

This is because they are rare and desirable. A new model wont change that fact. My thing is that if the new viper is actually around 130k like speculated then it will no longer be viewed as a pretty expensive rare supercar but as a bonafied option to a fgt or audi r8. The viper will be stepping up to the next level of supercars in price but still dusting everything in its path. I personally belieave the aventador is what they are book marking.

If this happens then I do believe the older vipers could gain a lil edge on price.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your original question was about timing and value.... The answer is start looking now because finding the right one for you will not likely happen overnight. If you jump at the first thing you see because of market factor predictions you could waste a few grand and then so much for our advice!

And it depends on where you live... If you're in a cold climate this time of year don't try to drive the car until spring and with NEW tires, because wrecking one that you got at a good price ***** big time.

I think the conclusion I'm making is market forces may change the prices a little with the gen V, but nothing you can't gain or lose with smart/ capricious shopping right now.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F430s sit at 120k plus easy..

Camaro and this and that blah blah blah. This is a completely differant class of car.

30k vipers in the world.

20k gen1and2s

10k srts

Factoring the wrecked and parted out cars thinning the very small herd and maybe 25k vipers in the world.

Weve already seen this first hand. The gen 1 is a 25k car. The gen 2 is still a 35k car. The gen 3 is still a 45k car. All still hovering at 45-55% of their origional msrp.

We have been blessed. you know what a late 90s or early 2000s corvette or lexus,mercedes,porshe ect sell for?

This is because they are rare and desirable. A new model wont change that fact. My thing is that if the new viper is actually around 130k like speculated then it will no longer be viewed as a pretty expensive rare supercar but as a bonafied option to a fgt or audi r8. The viper will be stepping up to the next level of supercars in price but still dusting everything in its path. I personally belieave the aventador is what they are book marking.

If this happens then I do believe the older vipers could gain a lil edge on price.

What are you talking about???

Your prices are way off.

The Viper has never been viewed as a "pretty expensive rare supercar". You just described a Carrera GT, or a CLK GTR, or an Enzo. To anyone who knows the car hierarchy, the Viper has been viewed as an american muscle/american exotic. It never has and never will compete with an Aventador. It may be faster than it, but you can't compare them. An option to the ZR1, Yes. An option to the FGT, yes. You need to stop reading magazines and Jalopnik. Supercar performance? Yes. But unless the Viper comes in at $600k + in todays dollars it's no supercar.

(sorry it's a huge pet peeve of mine)

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could you PM me the information on those. I have a buddy looking. Thanks!
Me too, I'd like to see them as well.

Since both your search buttons seem to be broke, here's three ACRs I found without a sweat in the 70K+ range, talk them down to the low 70's:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=b&num_records=25&cardist=1956&standard=false

and here:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=243&standard=false

and here:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=b&num_records=25&cardist=1646&standard=false

What more proof do you want?

Here's one that was listed for $74,980 buy it now on eBay, still for sale since nobody bought it, he'll easily take $70K:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-D...6444479?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33716f30bf

I don't think you'll find any "quality" 430's for under $100k without a story behind the price....if you do, please send me the link as I might be interested in a non spyder.

Cheers,
George

And 430's have sold for 95 -99k, you just have to be a hawk and search for them. A 430 listed for $110k can be, and have been talked down below $100k depending on the seller. Do the legwork if you want one that cheap. Next time you see one sell that was listed in that range, call the previous owner and ask him what it SOLD for.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big dawg. All in perception.

To your average guy makin 40k a year a 85-105k viper is most defiently a pretty expensive supercar. The areo package coupe non acr stickers at 120k here in hawaii.

Supercar american exotic yada yada yada....your average guy isnt makin 300k a year and a car around 100 k is most defiently a supercar.

Now ask that same question on lambo power were the average guy is 300k a year and its just a nice semi rare sports car. Ask it on the srt4 forum were the average income is 30k a year and its a supercar lol.

Can debate all day and i understand your pet peeve but i will never forget my roots back when i dreamed of just owning a c5 vette and defiently thinking a viper was a supercar wayyyy outta my league.

My household income more than tripled since i dreamed of that c5 vette ten years ago, but that dosent change how i feel about these vipers being supercars just because i was blessed and can afford one.

Sorry for ranting but one of my pet peeves is when people make more money and forget about the law of averages

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more factors at play other than a new car coming out. The economy, especially in an election year coming up, the new car price, how it is accepted by the current Viper owner, the potential new non Viper owner and how it is perceived, etc. i am sure it will be a great car and I was going to wait to get one, but I pulled the trigger on what I thought was the last of a breed. Even though I think I have something that will retain value pretty well, that is not the reason I bought it. The new one will have to be incredible to get me out of what I have.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more factors at play other than a new car coming out. The economy, especially in an election year coming up, the new car price, how it is accepted by the current Viper owner, the potential new non Viper owner and how it is perceived, etc. i am sure it will be a great car and I was going to wait to get one, but I pulled the trigger on what I thought was the last of a breed. Even though I think I have something that will retain value pretty well, that is not the reason I bought it. The new one will have to be incredible to get me out of what I have.

I believe time will show that you (we) made the right decision.
It's an endless, pointless discussion.

Here's just one of the debates four years ago on ACR values, there are many:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/618180-ACR-Values

Last edited by a moderator:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In each of these cases, the new upgraded car came out close to the price point of the previous generation. Why would one buy a used one close to the price of a new one that is a better car especially in a soft market where new ones can be had at great financing/rebates? I think the argument here is that the Gen V is going to cost significantly more (speculation still) to where it could help used Viper values. Other pricing factors - the used Viper also competes against used Corvettes, GTRs, Shelbys, etc.

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those claiming that the value of existing cars would be "firmed", "boosted", etc

why don't you enlighten the rest of us with an example of an American-made car going up in used car value year-to-year, even once, within first 15 years of age. Go ahead.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... and if they re-introduce the Ford GT the values on the existing ones will drop like a rock in water.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:eater: I can't wait for the Gen 5 to come out. And I'm hoping it's an 800 HP car :headbang: :headbang: to put the :rolleyes:"Others":rolleyes: to shame. But I know I'll not be able to afford it in this economy. :nono: I consider myself very lucky to have found a TT car two years ago & Love it, Love it ! :headbang: :headbang: No one would pay me for my car what it's worth too me. When I sold my 99 ACR & was without one, I was suffering badly.:crazy2: I went to a Vet show, 150 + vets & the Viper stood out heads & tails above the others. :2tu: Just looking at the faces of all the vet owners looking was worth it. I say Drive as much as you can. :drive::drive::drive::drive::drive: I'm Hoping the "5" is one Baaaad you know what. :omg::omg::omg:

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://usedcarsfsbo.com/asp/UsedCar...ke=Dodge&model=Viper&year=2008&submit1=Search

Checkout the trend graph and recent sales. '08s are up! So are the 09s

13 datapoints mixing Coupes, ACRs and Convertibles, with a single sale for 2008 car at 85k a week ago skewing the rest of already statistically irrelevant data.

As far as Ford GT goes, it does appear to be a valid example (not that familiar with Ford GT market in the last few years), although the situation with a limited production completing and manufacturer pretty much saying "that's it, if you didn't get yours, you are out of luck" is exact opposite of Viper situation to date.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol' well you asked and it took me all of 2 minutes to find proof that Gen 4 s are up in value, confirming my gut on the market. Sure you can find fault with a sale here or there ( both high and low), but you can't deny that the year long trend is up. That site has a good sampling of sales, after all, how many 08 s do you think traded hands in a year?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang