Gen IV brake issue

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spent the weekend at the track and found a problem with a Gen IV with headers without heat shields. I had experienced an issue with high speed stops on the track with my ACR last year-assuming we had overheated the brakes after 7 or 8 laps and had a brake fluid issue. The problem would only show up after driving on the track for 15 minutes or so. I had the car out this weekend and finally realized it wasn't a soft pedal but a pulsating pedal that would be hard to press-then go to a soft pedal kicking in the ABS. This is from say 130 mph stops. We realized that the vacuum hose from the intake to the brake booster was heating up and collapsing when it got hot-making the pedal hard as we were losing the power brakes. After pressing the pedal again just as hard we would then invoke the ABS...thus the confusion as to what was going on. A check with the analyzer coded nothing. We heat wrapped the vacuum hose and the problem was gone.So if you are tracking your car, and have headers without the heat shields-check the hose-ours has deformed on the radius bends flat...a new one is on order.Problem is now gone.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good info.

Have not had this issue yet and have tracked my ACR (with Belangers) over a dozen weekends, mostly in warm temps with high speed stops. Have noticed ABS kicking some times when I thought it shouldn't. Will insulate that vacuum line.

Have had the upper radiator hose collapse which contributed to high coolant temps. Installed a spring in the hose and no more issues.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960