Gen-IV Motor Mounts

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curious what experiences others have had using more rigid motor mounts on a Gen-IV? I have heard the added vibration throws a CEL, which I suspect is due to the knock sensors kicking in. Is this only with the stock PCM or is this also a problem with Venom?

Last edited:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Woodhouse Poly Engine Mounts on my '08(Stock Trans mount), along with the Mopar PCM. No issues at all. Had them on my '06 as well. I F'n love them! Makes the car feel more like what it is - A poorly disguised race car.:D

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08 with Woodhouse engine and trans mount for over a year....no issues with the OE or Mopar PCM... only some good good Vibrations, and Bye Bye wheel hop.
A Shelby driver, sitting next to me at a red light, told me the shaking he noticed in my outside mirrors meant "Dont mess with this car" !! That made my day and now I wish it would even shake a bit more.

Last edited:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious what experiences others have had using more rigid motor mounts on a Gen-IV? I have heard the added vibration throws a CEL, which I suspect is due to the knock sensors kicking in. Is this only with the stock PCM or is this also a problem with Venom?

I have never heard that, and I think a "knock" sensor, aside from the sound of the name, has nothing to do with vibration. I have the Woodhouse poly engine and trans mounts, and full Belanger exhaust, but am running the Mopar PCM. The vibration is nice. Could be louder :D

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have never heard that, and I think a "knock" sensor, aside from the sound of the name, has nothing to do with vibration. I have the Woodhouse poly engine and trans mounts, and full Belanger exhaust, but am running the Mopar PCM. The vibration is nice. Could be louder :D

Correct. A Knock Sensor is essentially a microphone that listens for a particular frequency.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Generaly most knock sensors are tuned to the engine knock frequency that will range from 5 KHz to 10KHz, this depends on the engine design. I find it hard to believe the mounts could simulate this frequency. Also, the knock sensor value on a Chrysler vehicle is ignored at idle, This is when we have the most vibrations from the engine mounts. In my opinon, the mounts are a great upgrade to any viper.

Garrett

OP
OP
C

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you all for the feedback. I heard that someone had them installed on an '08, and had to have the engine mounts replaced w. stock mounts as they were causing a CEL. Seemed odd, but maybe something else was happening, like jarring of a sensitive electrical connection. I'll give them a try.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly how much vibration are we talking about? Is it true that after putting some mileage on the mounts they vibrate a little less?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly how much vibration are we talking about? Is it true that after putting some mileage on the mounts they vibrate a little less?

Really nothing to get excited about.
My wife didn't even notice, it's like the car came this way, more like the muscle cars used to be, much less than an old Hemi car.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08 with Woodhouse engine and trans mount for over a year....no issues with the OE or Mopar PCM... only some good good Vibrations, and Bye Bye wheel hop.
A Shelby driver, sitting next to me at a red light, told me the shaking he noticed in my outside mirrors meant "Dont mess with this car" !! That made my day and now I wish it would even shake a bit more.

Did it really get rid of the wheel hop? This is the only problem holding me back from a stellar et. I'm already in the 11's but want a low 11 or 11 flat.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did it really get rid of the wheel hop? This is the only problem holding me back from a stellar et. I'm already in the 11's but want a low 11 or 11 flat.
Not on mine, but they definitely reduced it. Also, I do not have the trans mount which may further reduce the hop(I don't know?).

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Assuming it is not throwing a CEL on a GEN IV, can it still be pulling timing if it "thinks" it's hearing detonation due to stiffer motor mounts?

Cheers,
George

Can the computer pull timing and not pop a CEL? Yes.

In reality can those mounts do it? No. There is virtually no way a set of semi-ridged mounts could reproduce the harmonic needed to trip a knock sensor.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score

'08 Coupe (559 RWHP/535 RWTQ) - Woodhouse transmission and engine mounts with Stage 1 Mopar ECM and Belangers to stock mufflers: ZERO problems. Much improved track performance, especially on twisties. Some noticeable increase in cabin vibration but worth it. Don't do engine mounts without also doing the transmission mount, the latter <$50.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switched my transmount a few weeks ago to the woodhouse mount.
I swtiched mine to hope to reduce wheel hop and I also thought mine stock mount may have been broke. Once on lift and old mount out I noticed that the stock mount was not broke. I replaced with the woodhouse mount and the vibration is off the hook between 2-2,500 rpms. They say they settle in, (and i hope so) but I put the car away for winter so i'll worry about it next season. So I hope I get use to it :)

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched my transmount a few weeks ago to the woodhouse mount.
I swtiched mine to hope to reduce wheel hop and I also thought mine stock mount may have been broke. Once on lift and old mount out I noticed that the stock mount was not broke. I replaced with the woodhouse mount and the vibration is off the hook between 2-2,500 rpms. They say they settle in, (and i hope so) but I put the car away for winter so i'll worry about it next season. So I hope I get use to it :)

I think I ran a couple hundred miles before they settled in and I could actually see with my mirrors. They do calm down, just give it a few miles. You'll love the difference in the car.

--FQB

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
fqberful----- I think I will like the feel also,,,,,,,,,,,,and yes would like to be able to see out of my mirrors again...lmao!

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few members here that have had them on and taken back off soon after cause of the vibration being to much. I wouldn't mind trying them out if they were something simple to remove and replace in case I didn't like the vibration. Mine are in good working order so why replace them. :dunno:
As far as wheel hop goes just air down a bit.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the Woodhouse mounts, the car felt much more solid after putting them in. I think the vibration was barely noticable over stock honestly. The wheelhop was reduced slightly, but you will probably have to change your suspension to get rid of it completely. What I love most about the mounts is how the shifter feels. There is absolutely no movement in the shifter, allowing for crisp precise shifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth