Gen IV vs C6 supercharged

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's both being SC-ed. Might put things into perspective without your having a SC. Sure they can't launch worth a **** but that C6 runs his ass down quick. Watch those highway runs!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufI3x0CePsM&feature=related

What the heck was the Vette doing on his launch? Strange. He should have smoked the Viper on the launch or at least stayed even. Sounded like too much wheel spin and he just stayed in it as it kept bouncing off the limiter. Maybe he way hoping he'd find a sticky spot on the track. LOL

Dayton937

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver's race in the 1/4 but my money is on you.

Don't worry about the wing in the 1/4 either as it really won't hurt you. My 09 ACR equipped just like your car (same color too!) makes 585 rwhp / 565 rwtq on DC's conservative dyno.

I've run sub 11 seconds and trapped 135 mph, so your launch and driving is everything.

Some good advice above. Have him turn off his traction control and if you launch as well as you say you can on Drag radials, i.e. 1.66 60ft, as you pull away from him at the light, he WILL panic and blow the tires off of the car.

I've raced a few ZR1's who thought they'd kill me in the 1/4 and I've beaten all of them so far ..... it's all in the launch and not spinning.

From a roll, start relatively slow, say 20 mph and shut down at about 135 - 140, in any case before 150 mph. At 150 mph, the drag of the Aero will kill you.

If all else fails, negotiate a deal to drag him, roll on race him and go to a local road course with him. You will likely win two out of three at worst. You will crush him on a road course if you can drive even a little bit.

FYI, don't remove the wing and run above 150 mph as the front splitter, even without the center extension, will make the rear of the car very light and you won't like it.

Good luck,

Dan

The Vette owner would be an absolute ***** to use TC running FI. Most people I know disable it out of pure habit as soon as the car is started. If TC kicks in & cuts fuel under boost, bad bad things happen. If he knows what he's doing, he'll see you have DRs on. I do agree on the launch and not spinning as it's a quick way to end a race early lol. At 20mph, the Viper will make more torque than the Vette. The Vette owner starts in 2nd gear and runs it out until 55-60. Slams third, centri blower allows him to barely break it loose and instantly hooks back up.

Dayton937

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just go race him and have fun. Don't forget about us though and report back on the results!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What the heck was the Vette doing on his launch? Strange. He should have smoked the Viper on the launch or at least stayed even. Sounded like too much wheel spin and he just stayed in it as it kept bouncing off the limiter. Maybe he way hoping he'd find a sticky spot on the track. LOL

Thanks for posting this. Very cool to watch, just two very bad drivers.

Vette guy couldn't launch, Viper guy couldn't shift.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Very cool to watch, just two very bad drivers.

Vette guy couldn't launch, Viper guy couldn't shift.

How do you know he couldn't shift? They both were show boating for the cameras and girls at the launch and their shifts weren't pro quality but definitely weren't anything to complain about. All the video shows is that an under powered SC Vette will run down a SC Viper

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're not going to like the results if he is a good driver. With the colder warther rolling in and your factory Aero, these just aren't the races you should be looking for. Go have fun, but don't be surprised if you lose. The 1/4 mile is by far the best chance for you to grab some wins.

This races will happen until the end of the month and I will be ready. I am not running from this. Even if I have to spend 2k on a nitrous kit. :2tu:
I forgot to mention that his car is a Convertible C6.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran a few Z06's and C6's, but you mentioned its an 09 so it's an LS3. For a 600 Rwhp and your mods , you will need the 3.55 gears trust me, I've seen the difference.

The 75hp NOS kit would be a plus but go for the gears and see the difference, if its a roll on the highway try to get him from 60km

but like most said loose the wing, I did.

His car is a convertible c6 non grnad sport. It is going to be either nitrous or gears if I do a last mod.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grandsports weren't offered until 2010. His car was also tuned for 93 from the factory. He just had to have it tuned for the mods.

I don't doubt he's pushing 630 on a stock C6 block at all. The LS3 motor as a whole is very boost friendly. My cars been running 620rwhp for years, beaten hard for a lowly LS2. LS3 + **** + Boost + Good Tuner = 700rwhp+ easily. The further north of 600 though, the riskier it gets.

The Z06 LS7 is not the best motor to boost. VERY thin cylinder walls, high compression, etc etc. Z06s with bolt ons can easily hit 575rwhp though. They're just not a FI friendly motor.

He's in a lighter car. 3200lbs +/- 50lbs. Stick, centrifugal blower which means no instant torque but he'll pull harder and harder. If he converted to the Z06 widebody kit, he can fit fatter tires.

Drivers being equal, you'll lose by 2-4 car lengths on the street.

Don't say that you'll TT or SC it either. He can build his motor for less than $5k, throw more boost at it, and hit 800-900rwhp. Of course, drivetrain is a different story as his stubs, half shafts, fuel system, etc will need upgraded. The longer the race goes, the more of a disadvantage you'll be at. His SC will pull harder up top and your aero will start to hurt you...bad. There's always someone faster, no worries.

Unless he's an ******, it doesnt matter who wins or loses. It'll be great fun.

I just mopped up by a 850rwhp Charger. Was a blast!

I couldnt agree more with you.
The LS3 is a good engine and very boost friendly.
Lets give credit where credit is due.

Ls7 is a dangerous game when played with boost.

Anyways,
I still wanna win the races..

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ive seen a few very fast C6's like that. id think 1/4 mile its close, edge to you if you can drive. highway, he beats you

Lets hope for the best..

Race is going to happen probably by the end of this month.

Headers, exhaust and plug wires are already bought and waiting to be installed in the beggining of next week. Also have the perf. ECU sitting in my garage but for now I dont know if I will run nitrous or not since most of you guys are saying that I am going to lose( with the mods listed) and the perf. ECU + NO2 can go very wrong ...

Remember, I want to surprise him and all the others that think I am going to lose....

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's both being SC-ed. Might put things into perspective without your having a SC. Sure they can't launch worth a **** but that C6 runs his ass down quick. Watch those highway runs!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufI3x0CePsM&feature=related

That viper is a Supercharged gen 3. Mine is a Gen 4 N/A with the possibility of nitrous added to the mix now that most guys say that I am going to lose :(. I would pull on that vette on the 1/4m but, boy that red car picks up so fast after the 500m mark or so...
they only did 12.2s in the quarter....

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't show up then because unless he can't drive you are going to lose. If it's a 6 speed hope for a misshift and cross your fingers. ProCharged Vettes are very fast. Automatics are even faster.

If you want to win you better hurry and put 100-150 shot of juice on your car. Kits are fairly reasonable and safe if used in moderation.

Keep us posted.

He is not procharged. He has a vortech supercharger which I believe is a little inferior than the procharger ?????? He is also a convertible which is a little heavier too???
Please, tell me who is selling these nitrous kits for GEN 4s as I may start looking into that soon. Will win!

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driver's race in the 1/4 but my money is on you.

Don't worry about the wing in the 1/4 either as it really won't hurt you. My 09 ACR equipped just like your car (same color too!) makes 585 rwhp / 565 rwtq on DC's conservative dyno.

I've run sub 11 seconds and trapped 135 mph, so your launch and driving is everything.

Some good advice above. Have him turn off his traction control and if you launch as well as you say you can on Drag radials, i.e. 1.66 60ft, as you pull away from him at the light, he WILL panic and blow the tires off of the car.

I've raced a few ZR1's who thought they'd kill me in the 1/4 and I've beaten all of them so far ..... it's all in the launch and not spinning.

From a roll, start relatively slow, say 20 mph and shut down at about 135 - 140, in any case before 150 mph. At 150 mph, the drag of the Aero will kill you.

If all else fails, negotiate a deal to drag him, roll on race him and go to a local road course with him. You will likely win two out of three at worst. You will crush him on a road course if you can drive even a little bit.

FYI, don't remove the wing and run above 150 mph as the front splitter, even without the center extension, will make the rear of the car very light and you won't like it.

Good luck,

Dan

thank you for believing in me to win that.. LOL!

I am not touching that wing for the quarter mile however for the hwy pulls I do not know yet.

Thanks for all the advices and I wont go over 140 for sure. I had in mind what you said for the roll pull. the more he spins the better for me to get ahead.

LV the way your car looks! lol

Last edited:

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That viper is a Supercharged gen 3. Mine is a Gen 4 N/A with the possibility of nitrous added to the mix now that most guys say that I am going to lose :(. I would pull on that vette on the 1/4m but, boy that red car picks up so fast after the 500m mark or so...
they only did 12.2s in the quarter....

It seems to have the Gen 4 hood.... and it doesn't matter a whole lot gen 4 or 3, the Viper has more power regardless and still lost! Nitrous you have a shot but NA, he's got your number

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems to have the Gen 4 hood.... and it doesn't matter a whole lot gen 4 or 3, the Viper has more power regardless and still lost! Nitrous you have a shot but NA, he's got your number

That viper looks like a gen 3 to me because there is no paxton kit for gen 4 cars available and because of the wheels.

That race showed me two things why the viper lost and could of have won if corrected.

1) He failed to hook up the viper. Simple pair of drag radials would put him way ahead of the vette.

2)You can clearly se when the vette catches up that he shifted into 4th and then 5th where his rpms drop badly and the paxton stops building up boost like it was before. He needed a shorter 5th gear like the 2010s have. Also with lighter wheels like the 6 spokes or 2010 acr rims would made him even faster.

Those two things cost him the race.

I am not letting cost mine as I mainly have a TON of traction and would put a full 1 sec in any of those cars in the vid. in the 1/4.

Power means a lot but not everything when racing. It is how you put it to the ground!

I will get his number by then:drive:

Dayton937

Enthusiast
Reaction score
beautiful build :2tu:

I went NA with mine ;) LS7 though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqSj-iyu4o

Thanks and I'd say the same for yours :drive:

I've been lurking these forums and the alley b/c I've been trying to make a decision.

Z06 N/A Build, 600rwhp
LS3 build F1 PC, 1000rwhp or bust
Viper ACR Gen4 + bolt ons

Tooling around on the street is a blast but I'm ready for something that I'm not itching to mod to hell and back. Hello Gen4 ACR!

Hence the reason I lurk these forums. Now when someone is talking about a Viper vs Vette race, thats something I happen to know a teeny bit about :)

Little known fact... the C6, non-Z06, is a better platform to mod from if going for the 1,000rwhp arena. The aluminum magnesium frame of the Z is known to twist at high torque levels. While the base C6 frame is heavier, it's also less prone to twisting. This is probably little known due to the fact most people aren't insane and shoot for 1k wheel.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
How do you know he couldn't shift? They both were show boating for the cameras and girls at the launch and their shifts weren't pro quality but definitely weren't anything to complain about. All the video shows is that an under powered SC Vette will run down a SC Viper

If you turn the sound up and listen carefully, the Viper driver hits the rev limiter at least once and is very slow shifting. Can't do that against a fast car and hope to win.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock gen4s can trap 126-130 mph in the quarter. yours ain't stock so who cares about 133 mph traps. My money's on you up to 140 mph.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you turn the sound up and listen carefully, the Viper driver hits the rev limiter at least once and is very slow shifting. Can't do that against a fast car and hope to win.

Abolutely True. That little thing behind the steering wheel counts the most.

Spinning the tires like that, going sideways the way it did and after it quit spinning and the car hooked it lost a lot of Momentum and I believe(rpms dropped badly too= bad for the paxton).

It ***** to see that some guys put so much money on buying and shipping a nice car like that to Russia and cannot spend an extra $800-1000 bucks on a sticky pair of tires, a new 5th gear and a $150 on a mgw lower shifter to put him in a better position to win races like that...:dunno:

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock gen4s can trap 126-130 mph in the quarter. yours ain't stock so who cares about 133 mph traps. My money's on you up to 140 mph.

My best was 127mph stock or with only a oil catch can and k&N.
His best was 133mph.

Also, once I switched from the stock tires and finally hooked with the awesome HOOSIERS, my mph went down to about 123-125 but the 60 foot went also down from 2.0-2.1 to a 1.66 at the very best.

I hope to be doing 133-135mph with the mods but dont know how realistic that is....

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this just to beat a little Grandpa Corvette convertible with a Grandma transmission in it. :)

He could just do a pulley swap on that blower and add another 100 rwhp. The LS3 is more than capable of pushing 700 rwhp with a centrifugal blower on it. Hundreds of them are well into the 600s with minimal boost and bolt-ons, maybe a mild cam swap too.

OP
OP
V

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All this just to beat a little Grandpa Corvette convertible with a Grandma transmission in it. :)

He could just do a pulley swap on that blower and add another 100 rwhp. The LS3 is more than capable of pushing 700 rwhp with a centrifugal blower on it. Hundreds of them are well into the 600s with minimal boost and bolt-ons, maybe a mild cam swap too.

Yeah, They need boost to beat our NAs. I can only imagine what a 4.5psi whatever supercharger kit could do for an 08-10 gen 4...;)
No excuses, The pressure will be on him to win, not me...

You sound like a GM guy to me the way you talk about these ls3s... Yes, they are good engines but he is pretty much maxed out at 630rwhp on the stock kit I believe. That If he wants to play safe, since our tuners are not as good as the ones there of course.

Besides that, I would love him to have 700rwhp to race me since the more power he puts in that thing the less traction he will have on race day and it will favor me as he wont drive on Drs and I will.

Traction:

1 Viper x 0 Corvette

:)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a bit of a GM guy. I created the site LS1Tech.com - busiest GM performance site on the net. :)

Many guys here that don't have the GM background are quick to underestimate the potential of the little 5.7L, 6.0L and 6.2L LS engines. It isn't hard to make real power with them, especially with any sort of blower or turbo system. His car being an automatic, I'd figure a max of 525-550 rwhp is what he is probably sitting on. He would need a mild cam (ZR1), valvesprings, pushrods, longtube headers to clear 600 rwhp. That blower can definitely push the number when turned up, but not much beyond 630-650 rwhp.

Supratt6s

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did catch that but wouldn't cause the vette to run past the viper like it was standing still. I honestly hate arguing this because I love my Viper more than both of the Corvettes I owned combined but it's clear as day that the Viper didn't have much of a chance even with perfect shifts. There's a huge weight and gearing advantage...

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i drove a supercharged c6zo6 and it was the fastest streetcar ive ever driven. effortlessly broke the rear tires loose in third gear at 60mph just goosing the throttle. and it built huge torque pretty low in the rev band.
i think ur gonna have your hands full.
hope he gets wheelspin happy and good luck!