GEN V Viper picture at VOI 11....

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The average member has access to the "inner workings"? How?
- Factory tours dozens of times a year, usually hosted by Dick or Herb, and occasionally Mr. Gilles.

- Complete tours of the Chrysler Research & Design Center. Ummm....how much more 'inner workings' can you get? A trip to the lug nut supplier's home office?

- Company-hosted, or company-attended events all over the nation (and overseas).
Was anyone shoo'd away from the The Ring when Tom Coronel was doing his runs that afternoon? Sure- you had to be there at the right time, but no one said "No pictures; private event; get out". Think the Porsche guys acted similarly? Me neither.

- The CEO races! And not just at celebrity events. He's all over the place. Even he is checking his work and 'inner workings'. Think the CEO of GM is the guy behind Ralph in the Corvette? Hint: It's not.

I did not say anything about taking a picture on the sly would be acceptable. What I did comment on was that I did not see the reason for the secrecy, as they already protected (or should have) the intellectual property. Since they did that, there is no legal harm in showing it. Zero.
Marvel thought that the Punisher logo was protected too.
Take a look at the fan shroud on the ZR1 (and the last few years of Corvette Racing's logo).

You yourself bought one. Bet you are the only one in your neighborhood who has one.
Until Stretch bought it, there were 2 Viper-powered rides in my neighborhood....and a Gen.3 less than a mile away.
Off the top of my head, I can count 4 more within 10 miles of my house.
It's a Viper. Not the Hope Diamond.

It is great that Dodge asks the owners of the cars for their opinions. Ford does that for the Mustang crowd and Chevy for its products. It is smart to keep everyone up to date and the owners interested. It is not just a "Dodge" thing.
But I do believe that Dodge does it on a MUCH more personal level, and makes owners feel like people instead of "Interview #224-A-539".
How many Corvette owners attend GM events and can walk over to the CEO of the company and ask for a pic with him?
It's the tiny things like that- 4 seconds; a 0-60 blast- that are setting Dodge apart from the others.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blasphemy :omg:.

it amazez me how it seems 80 percent of you guys think it should look like the gen 11... i think the gen 11 is ugly,but differant..thats what makes the car kool... but would never own a gen11 cause its ugly:crazy2: oh boy here comes the strorm

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Ralph really wants all of our opinions on the Gen V Viper, I would think he would poll all of the members of the Viper Club of America, not just the people who were able to attend VOI. I personally decided to use the thousands of dollars it would have cost my wife and I to attend VOI toward the car payment I am making on my 09 ACR, as I spend all my "play money" on my Vipers and nothing else. I have owned 3 Vipers (still have 2 of them) and my opinion could help Dodge in the development of the Gen V car, but since I did not attend VOI Dodge will never know my opinions since everything is being kept secret. I'm sure others that did not attend VOI would have many good opinions to offer as well, it is Dodge's loss we will not get to express them until sometime in the future. I hope everyone that attended VOI gave Ralph the same feedback I would have!!!! :) :)

If you are a VCA member (I know you are hou99) here is a thread started a while back for comments for Gen V

http://forums.viperclub.org/grail-trail/634947-what-must-fixed-next-viper.html

(of course it has nothing to do with the looks of the model shown at VOI, but lots of input there that was asked for by Dodge...)

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To quote an old saying - "A Camel is a Horse designed by committee." Dodge can't ask every VCA member to design the car for them. Ralph showed some examples that were posted on this site and others. Most were plain ugly. What they did do was show to those that attended VOI a mock up of what they are thinking. I'm certain they will now be looking at themes they can gleam from the feedback, here and elsewhere to make final changes to the car before production.

My own two cents is that the car needs some tweaks. Yes it is reminiscent of the Gen 2 at least from the side, not a bad thing even to a guy like me that prefers the Gen 3/4 to the Gen 1/2. It is an evolution (mind you a significant one) of the Gen 2 like the current Challenger is an evolution of the old Challenger.

My suggestions include the following: One, lose the LEDs that surround all the lights. It isn't an Audi or BMW and they serve no purpose on a car that is supposed to be a race car for the street. Two, bring back the cove that extends past the rear tail lights (as on a GTS or SRT Coupe). It is part of Viper's DNA. Three, modify rear tail lights so that they don't look like clones of Aston or Jaguar rear lights. Four, tone down the scoop on the front. Not sure why but it seems a bit too much for my tastes. The image of Jimmy Durante keeps popping into my head. Five, show the car with a wing, splitter, and maybe some stripes. These things are as much Viper as anything else. Six, while we didn't see the interior, add a decent sound system (at least as an option) and upgrade the quality of the materials as they did with the rest of the line up. Seven, if they offer a paddle shifter (there were rumors they might) make it an option, I want a manual. Eight, change the wheels, the ones on the mock up were not Viper, oh and make them light like the 09 six spokes or Sidewinders. Nine, offer a digital multi gauge (think PLX) that can be configured by user and display any parameter from the OBD stream. Ten, paint the mock up an in your face color like SSG, Race Yellow so that we could see how it looks like this. The current color is a bit too elegant. Eleven, make the tires big. I didn't really notice what kind of rubber it had. Twelve, make sure the stability control which is mandated has a big off switch. Thirteen, (and I know the purists will disagree)add cruise control (I drive a lot of miles in the Viper). Fourteen, add an outside temp display. This would help even on the track where you could see the temp changes outside and have a better idea of track temps.

That's it for now but I'm sure I'll have more later.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be plenty of time for feedback. Seeing the car at VOI was special treat for the Viper diehards that seem to be 1) multiple car owners and 2) some of the more passionate folks.

For the SRT team to be able to get live feedback is a much better focus group than showing pictures on the web. They also brought in 6 seats and had a "butt test drive" so they could determine where the seats were lacking and what was working. A much better process when they knew you had just sat in each one.

VOI was a VCA event. Dodge came and did do some marketing, but the bulk of the event was a celebration of the car and it's owners. It was about friendship and common interests.

I am sure the pictures will be out there - possibly soon and in magazines and the feedback will start. You can give your 2D feedback, as will the press. You simply cannot place a picture on the web in the "Member only" area and think that there is ANY kind of security. It would be on spy shots within 10 seconds. It's Dodge's product - it is their prerogative how they want to introduce it to the public. Giving 800 folks a peak is one thing - they will still be able to control it's release to the general public. Posting it here would eliminate that goal.

It's also possible that they don't want too many folks deciding to wait when there is 2010 inventory still out there.

Seeing the car was a benefit to the attendees of VOI. Just like the Drag Pak Challenger. And the viewing of the new Viper video. And the tour of the Olympic training facility.

If you got all those things concurrent with the VOI attendees - then why would anyone buy a ticket? VCA membership has its privileges, and VOI attendance had another level. It's that simple.

The team that is designing this car reads the board / forum religiously - so no worries - your voices shall be heard.

More on the spectacular VOI later....

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are a VCA member (I know you are hou99) here is a thread started a while back for comments for Gen V

http://forums.viperclub.org/grail-trail/634947-what-must-fixed-next-viper.html

(of course it has nothing to do with the looks of the model shown at VOI, but lots of input there that was asked for by Dodge...)

And I responded to that thread about the Gen V, and read everyone else's comments as well. I agree with many suggestions that were made.

I am glad some of you were able to view it at VOI, and hopefully I will see it soon with the rest of the general public. :2tu:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't take it anymore. NDA or not. This is a photo of the Gen V mockup:

Strong resemblance to a Gen II.
You must be registered for see images

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph can outdrive me, and all but a few on here.

Dodge Viper Cup

Many of the SRT engineers can too. They are passionate, smart car nuts that want and understand the same things we do. They are fighting the accountants for horsepower and sex appeal for our car, and they are winning.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS manufacturer allowed 800 people to view not only that car but 5 or 6 others, which also included cars that have not been seen by even the spy photo motoring press. On the way home I was reading the current issue of of one of the car mags and they had a spy photo of the new Charger with a cover pulled off the front of the car back to the windshield. They thought that view was a big deal.
We walked around and SAT in the same car 18 hours prior. Red car with a full on red leather interior that looked like a new Lexus....STUNNING.
THAT is what we mean when we say we have a special relationship with Dodge and that they are willing to share with us in a way no other manufacturer does.

Here's the new Charger already out on today's Autoweek's daily email-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That was fast- bring on the official Gen 5 pics:2tu:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The new stripes might take some getting used to... But I dig it :headbang:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The people that know me all know that I am pretty much obsessed with the GTS and older ACRs. I tried to fight it, but when they DO come out with that car I think that I will be unhappy with my GTSs until I upgrade to the new Viper. I promise that I did try not to like it. I LOVE IT!

One spectator said, "I don't like the roof line of the rear." I said to him, "If Dodge had asked me to design the shape of MY GTS, the rear roofline would have looked like this."

First thing I saw as I walked in the "peek" room was my GTS doors! Side exhaust, and the Viper shape from the GTS only altered so that it looks slipperier. I also feel that double bubble roof is a Viper trademark ... and the new Viper concept has it. Ralph said at the dinner that when you get into the new Viper "You're gonna wanna drive it NAKED."

The hood vents behind the rad are slightly reminiscent of the large vents at the front of the Ford GT.

One comment was that the nose was "busy" It's a beautiful piece of foam, I didn't like the BLACK windows and they were definitely non-seethrough - but I'm sure that the actual car will have holes in the grille for the air to pass through to the rad and the windows that are clear.

I spoke to Ralph and he said that the new Viper will be two cars. The super super car will be "Beyond an ACR." Ralph's words. It will be more aggressively styled and have more hp.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree with Ralph - no pictures! WHY?

Because the 2011 vette would be changed to look like the new 2012 Viper and then GM would claim it was their design.

Like the GTS, when the new Viper is shown Ferrari, Maserati and Corvette will change their cars to copy Dodge's new styling.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you need to redo the shoe- needs to look more broken down in the middle.. just sayin

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really very, very simple, no car manufacturer in history has ever allowed a picture of a car that is two years away from production to be seen by the public.

Was there any clear statement made about when it would go into production? Or be available for sale? Or actually delivered?

Was it said whether it would technically be referred to as a 2012 model or 2013 model? If 2012, that could be as early as next fall or as late as late summer 2012 presumably.

For cars at this model stage, for those who actually know the car production times, what would be the earliest it would be deliverable, presuming this is as far as they are? Could it actually be completed, tested, built, and delivered by the end of next year, or is that not even a reasonable possibility?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is a fine design. I'm partial to a shoeish look. I like the front splitter but I think the rear wing is a little narrow. But it should be able to stomp the competition.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so instead of doors to enter and exit the vehicle, we now have to UNTIE AND TIE SHOELACES?!

WEIRD.

i actually think someone said instead of shoes strings,another option(1250.00) option was snaps or zipper

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was an investigative study in the form of a full sized mock up. It had no interior (That is why the "windows" were blacked out.) or drivetrain. As noted previously by someone, there were focus groups for some of the people that saw the mockup to determine what they liked and did not like about it. I believe the best case scenario is a 2013 model released in the Fall of 2012.

Was there any clear statement made about when it would go into production? Or be available for sale? Or actually delivered?

Was it said whether it would technically be referred to as a 2012 model or 2013 model? If 2012, that could be as early as next fall or as late as late summer 2012 presumably.

For cars at this model stage, for those who actually know the car production times, what would be the earliest it would be deliverable, presuming this is as far as they are? Could it actually be completed, tested, built, and delivered by the end of next year, or is that not even a reasonable possibility?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No pictures allowed?!
That *****!
That's it! I'm selling my Viper, and all thing Viper and I'm resigning my membership in VCA and going across town and buying a Vette!
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the hell out of my Viper now. I was looking to replace it with a Gallardo when I'm done with it, but if we have a $100k price point on the Gen V, it's not going to be a tough decision. Dodge has won me over 100% with the way they have backed my 2008 Viper, and how bullet proof this engine/trans combination has been for me. I did want an Italian "exotic" before getting married, but Ralph and his team are steering me away from that right now. Don't let me down!

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my Gen II Final Edition for it, but I am considering buying it rather than a Gen IV ACR. (For a track car....I will wait for the ACR version that Ralph said would happen)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was an investigative study in the form of a full sized mock up. It had no interior (That is why the "windows" were blacked out.) or drivetrain. As noted previously by someone, there were focus groups for some of the people that saw the mockup to determine what they liked and did not like about it. I believe the best case scenario is a 2013 model released in the Fall of 2012.

Thanks, hopefully someone can answer each of my questions with precision and based on personal knowledge of how the auto industry operates.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone notice some of the likeness to the Firepower concept, especially rear (which design was based on the current Viper chassis!) Ok maybe more flair than likeness. Anyway, exciting to see what the future brings. But, enough of the visual, I would like to know if they are going aluminium frame, they have the capabilities from the Prowler build, it would certainly get the car lighter and more in keeping with the current 'other' Supercars frame materials build. And, they already went magnesium on our SRT firewalls for weight save, some 7 years ago! Excited too to see the next gen V10, the Challenger Drag-Pak was boasting around 800 horse I think, so they can certainly tune more impressive power. The final version of the car is still being developed; but having driven all Gen's including GTS-R and Comp Coupe I'd be more than happy to offer my services to come and drive the new car, top-secrect and I wouldn't bring any camera, just a sponge :D

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought one yesterday, I'll post pics later.:rolaugh:

Who cares anymore.:bdh: The "finished" concept will be posted soon enough. It's not like you can buy the damn thing anyways.

Since you guys have so much time to fight over this I have some drywall that needs hung & a new garage to build that will be put to better use then these treads.;)

Now back to topic on hand. The 2013 really looks different in my garage compared to my 03.:smirk:

SCSViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought one yesterday, I'll post pics later.:rolaugh:

Who cares anymore.:bdh: The "finished" concept will be posted soon enough. It's not like you can buy the damn thing anyways.

Since you guys have so much time to fight over this I have some drywall that needs hung & a new garage to build that will be put to better use then these treads.;)

Now back to topic on hand. The 2013 really looks different in my garage compared to my 03.:smirk:

I need to take a road trip to see the new car;)

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't go SCS, It's a trap, you won't get to see the new car until the drywall is done :dead:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456