1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen V vs 12C from a roll...

Discussion in 'Generation V Discussions / SRT Coupe, GTS, GTC, AC' started by FikseGTS, Nov 24, 2013.

1. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

2. NO HEMI

NO HEMI Enthusiast

Nice vid!!

3. Alabaster Mamba

Alabaster Mamba Enthusiast

Damn that 12C was moving. Sweet view of the Gen V though.

4. swexlin

swexlin Viper Owner

Didn't think the Viper would get dusted that bad. The McLarens are world beaters, for sure.

5. ViperSmith

ViperSmith Enthusiast

Viper will run it over on the track though :)

6. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

I do not think the 12C did run it over that bad. It looked like the Viper driver just lifted off of the gas. The duel needs a redo.

7. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

We have in car video. I'll post it as soon as TRC finishes the editing.

8. ViperSmith

ViperSmith Enthusiast

Yeah towards the end the Viper seems to let off and the 12 keeps going

9. swexlin

swexlin Viper Owner

Makes sense. McLaren might have the slight edge, but it seemed like the Viper just let up.

10. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

I let off on the end of 4th gear about 140 mph. No need to keep going he was ahead.

11. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

good luck with that.... His Viper is badass and did better than I thought, but it just won't beat the 12C...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  12. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

I did not write that it would beat it. I wrote that the 12C did not run over the Viper that badly. The Viper driver clearly lifted earlier than you as he posted above.

13. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Enthusiast

Interesting that your 4th ends at 140 MPH. That is a large difference between the Gen V and the Gen IV and III. Mine ends at 165 MPH. Clearly a function of the 3.55 diff gears and the somewhat changed gear ratios. What does your fifth gear top out at?

14. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

Thanks man!!! The 12C is just out right gorgeous!! Looks bad ass and runs awesome!!

15. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

Yea 4th gear is real short. We usually race to 150 around here, which sucks to have to throw 5th. I haven't topped out 5th yet so I got no clue.

16. TrackAire

TrackAire Enthusiast

I've got 3.55 gears and it's pretty much the same for me. In a straight line roll race, the extra shifting does cost some time as opposed the Macs super fast shifting auto and tight gearing. Its high rpm capability and multiple gear choices keeps the acceleration very linear. But, I have the lowered 5th and 6th gears and with the Viper torque once into the close ratio 5th and 6th with the 3.55's the acceleration is very, very strong. I'd bet that after 150 mph the Viper would hold its own all the way up to top speed.

From the quoted 1/4 mile trap speeds, the Mac's hp is under rated. Can't bend the laws of physics.

Cheers,
    George

17. plumcrazy

plumcrazy Enthusiast

thats a pretty good walking the 12C did

18. VENOM V

VENOM V Enthusiast

I have met up with two McClarens on the road course and they weren't able to keep up with the mighty Viper :D

19. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

I just spent a day with McLaren at PBIR, they brought out 10 MP4-12C's to trounce around the road course all day, it's an extremely capable car in the right hands, we also did hot laps with pro drivers, autocrossing and drag runs, if you think the 12C can't hang with the Viper with equivalent drivers on a road course you've got brand googles on...

20. FLL-B/W-GTS

FLL-B/W-GTS Enthusiast

Better be carful on 84 W,or the State may have 2 really nice new Brown and Blacks patrolling....

21. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

sssshhh... I'll let that guy know...

22. VENOM V

VENOM V Enthusiast

Uuuh, who said that it can't hang with a Viper on a road course with equivalent drivers? I sure didn't. The cars are very close but the Viper has a slight edge on a road course. Vipers own the track record at every track I've driven.

That's what like about road courses, it's the combination of car and skill. For straight line racing all I have to do is look at Road and Track to know who's going to win.

23. Twister

Twister Enthusiast

Nice vid....yea a 130 mph car verses a 135 mph car is gonna be a slaughter.

On a positive note the snake did better than vids of zr1s and modded gtrs I've seen.

Looks like headers exhast and tune will make things even when available

24. Viper98912

Viper98912 Enthusiast

The McLaren 12C is an insanely fast car

25. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

yea, I did 133 MPH in my ACR with headers, exhaust, mopar.... should be close from a roll...

26. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Enthusiast

thx, we should try the FGT next time, we'll both have to row some gears... :)

27. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

I'm down for that!! I guess you want to keep me on a losing streak. LOL! Be ready cause I'm going to order a K&N filter! :D

28. SnakeBitten

SnakeBitten Enthusiast

No way around the surperiority of a DCT vs a manual tranny in terms of shear performance numbers folks. As long as the Viper races any car within 100hp or so of it but has a DCT, a la 911 Turbo S, it will be a dog fight and it probably wont win in the straights. Now add a car with almost as much hp as the Viper and then throw in a DCT, a la Mclaren 12C, then the Viper will have no chance no matter how many races you attempt against the 12C in a straight line. On top of that the 12C is much lighter. This is not a fight the Viper in its current form can win. Really no need for a re-race.

I'd bet a DCT in the Viper would change that outcome if they could find a way to keep the Viper around the current weight with the addition of DCT. No way around the surperiority of a DCT vs a manual tranny in terms of shear performance numbers.

Road course different story though.

29. Nine Ball

Nine Ball Enthusiast

Don't do that. The K&N puts the Viper into reduced power mode, and sets a check engine code. The pleats of the 4th gen filter are in the wrong direction for the 5th gen, and mess up the flow profile across the MAF sensors.

30. pdv25

pdv25 Enthusiast

WOW!! didn't know that, thanks so much!! :2tu: