Gen1 shuddering after shutoff?

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 RT10, after I turn it off, it shudders for maybe a half second. Has been idling a bit rough too, but I just chalked that up to the different climate since I recently moved. Should I be concerned about this?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
96 RT10, after I turn it off, it shudders for maybe a half second. Has been idling a bit rough too, but I just chalked that up to the different climate since I recently moved. Should I be concerned about this?

Id be concerned becasue its probably inefficient and only going to get worse. Miles on car?

Probably, almost certainly just old plugs and maybe old wires the likely culprit.

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, good idea, dunno why I didn't think of that one. It has 49,000 miles. I've had it for 3 years and don't know the last time they were changed. Still gets 18mpg city, ~25mpg hwy. I will get them changed though... recommendations on which plugs/wires to get? Also, anybody know the best place to get it done in the SF bay area?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, good idea, dunno why I didn't think of that one. It has 49,000 miles. I've had it for 3 years and don't know the last time they were changed. Still gets 18mpg city, ~25mpg hwy. I will get them changed though... recommendations on which plugs/wires to get? Also, anybody know the best place to get it done in the SF bay area?

PartsRack can get you upgraded wires and plugs in 2 days, no tax.... THANKS

Are you a NorCal VCA member? So are we....Call for install shop or advice....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you describe sounds like motoring, that is when something keeps the ignition process going after the key is shut off. An injector might not be closing properly allowing some gas to keep the engine "motoring" for a short period. This process also needs some heat or flame to start the process.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you describe sounds like motoring, that is when something keeps the ignition process going after the key is shut off. An injector might not be closing properly allowing some gas to keep the engine "motoring" for a short period. This process also needs some heat or flame to start the process.

Actually, run-on may not need ignition, only a little fuel, heat, and combustion chamber deposits.

A bottle of a reputable "complete engine system cleaner" will remove deposits from the injectors and combustion chamber. Just be sure it says "complete fuel system cleaner" or similar because "injector cleaner" and "carburetor cleaner" products are less effective.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery