Genii Seat Swap-out

D

DAMN YANKEE

People, If one wanted to unbolt the stock Viper GenII driver seat and bolt in an excellent replacement...does anybody have a recommendation? Has anybody gone to a true wrap around and found a good fitting, comfortable alternative? Thanks.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3 seats are nicer, more comfortable and provide much better support.

That is what I would go with if I wanted to swap seats. I've seen them in a few Gen 2 GTSs and they look/feel great.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a seat swap myself. I know that you need some sort of adapter bracket to bolt a gen 3 seat in a gen 2. There was a photo in the "classifieds" of the bottom but it wasn't very clear. Does any one have any photos of the bracket or any info on what is needed to mount gen 3 seats in a gen 2 ( 2001 GTS)?

Thanks for any info.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a seat swap myself. I know that you need some sort of adapter bracket to bolt a gen 3 seat in a gen 2. There was a photo in the "classifieds" of the bottom but it wasn't very clear. Does any one have any photos of the bracket or any info on what is needed to mount gen 3 seats in a gen 2 ( 2001 GTS)?

Thanks for any info.

I have all that information and have done the conversion many times. However, I only provide that information to non-VCA members. Sorry.................

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have all that information and have done the conversion many times. However, I only provide that information to non-VCA members. Sorry.................

Wow... and yet you continue to make use of the VCA website and what it offers. What's up with that?

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this swap on my Gen11. Works really nice. If you do a search "GenIII seats into a GenII" you should see a thread that has really good pictures and a step by step. That is what I used when I did mine. The only thing I did different is I made my brackets out of aluminum instead of steel. Personally, I like the GenIII seats a whole lot better. Support better and look a whole lot nicertoo IMHO.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As Pressured said, search GEN3 seat swap. There have been MANY individuals who have done this, a few places sell the conversion, and I think there may even be an Illustrated Upgrade somewhere in the ether.

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Guys, many thanks to all, it appears that people do this conversion regularly with some great success. It appears that the GenIII seats work out to be higher than the stock GENII, I'll do a major Illustrated on the subject and you can follow the step by steps and photos this winter. I have a couple of guys that will provide me with the technique to get the seat lower as well. Thanks again, appreciate it.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Mike Trost at Northwind. Tell him I sent you. He will give you the instructions and sells a kit which lowers the seat as well. The GenIII seats add A LOT of height to the stock seat height. They are also boxy and it is noticeably tougher to get in and out, even with the lowering kit.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Mike Trost at Northwind. Tell him I sent you. He will give you the instructions and sells a kit which lowers the seat as well. The GenIII seats add A LOT of height to the stock seat height. They are also boxy and it is noticeably tougher to get in and out, even with the lowering kit.

You just convinced me to NOT do that mod.

Dave, 6 ft 4 in.

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

I'm over 6' too, so height is a BIG issue here. I'll do the research and see what is actually possible on this conversion BEFORE we go forward. I was hoping that somebody had set in a high quality aftermarket seat...appears not.

P

powerstream

when you all are installing the GENIII seats are you buying them new? If so how much do they cost?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several VCA vendors that sell "broken in" gen 3 seats. They go for $800 and up. There were a couple in the classifieds

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for the same price you can get seats that weigh half as much. Sparco, Momo, Recaro, Cobra.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you ever tried to change gear, espicially 2nd gear with gen3 seats in a gen2 ?, i have and its plain nasty your elbow catches on the side bolster, dont know how you guys put up with that

one of our members has these fitted in his GTS, a great alternative

seat2.jpg

seat1.jpg

seat.jpg