Getting into the 10's

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting into the 10\'s

What does it take to run the 1/4 in the tens? Just for bragging rights. Even 10.98. Given a stock weight Viper, say 3400 lbs, how much hp/tq would it take to give a sub 11 sec. run?

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Getting into the 10\'s

Close to 600 rwhp and 757 rwtq with a good driver should put you in the 10's. Need at least 1.5xx Sixty foot.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

519rwhp/510rwtq - ran a 10.91 ET w/ 1.47 60 foot. Full weight 1996 RT/10 with heads/cam & ET Streets. I'd say somewhere around 550-600rw would get you where you want to be but you WILL need slicks, a good track, good launch and good shifts. Hope this helps,
Scott W

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About 500rwhp and a good driver will put you into the 10's with a drag radial. On slicks and a great driver a stock viper should be very close to 10's, although it seems no one has ever gone and made it happen.

There have been many to run mid 11's on stock tires, getting to hight 10's should be possible with slicks.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heffner just did it with his DIY TT setup and I think it was on street tires and about mid 500s rwhp.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About 500rwhp and a good driver will put you into the 10's with a drag radial. On slicks and a great driver a stock viper should be very close to 10's, although it seems no one has ever gone and made it happen.

There have been many to run mid 11's on stock tires, getting to hight 10's should be possible with slicks.

I don't know what you think "should" happen but I'll tell you what will happen.

500rw + Drag Radials = mid to low 11's
Stock Viper + Slicks = mid 11's

I ran an 11.8 on stock tires BUT that is HOOKING UP on a sticky track. If you are already getting traction, the slicks will MAYBE get you a tenth or two. There is a GOOD reason you haven't seen a high ten in a stock car w/ slicks - It will NOT happen. Anyway, look for 550rw and good luck.
Scott

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bullet488,

There are a number of stock viper on stock tires that have run mid 11's. While pulling 1.7-1.8 60 foot times, the viper has enough torque to get that down to say mid 1.4's maybe 1.5's.

In my experience every tenth off the 60 foot results in 2-3 tenths down the track.

So while your driving may not get you there it is very possible. The reason you dont see it is not because it cant happen its because most people dont buy these cars to put drag slicks on them and live at the 1/4 mile track.

There are a few such fanatics, Ranger from the vette forums comes to mind, if he can get a stock c5 z06 to run 11.8's on stock tires and 11.5's on drag radials then you can get a stock gen 2 viper with slicks into the 10's.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,

I respect your opinion but it is just that, an opinion. Opinions on how fast a car "should" or "could" be often fail to account for less obvious limiting factors involving suspension, transmission, weight etc.. Applying corrections and speculation is guesswork, nothing more. I'm speaking from my experience and actual results as witnessed in the viper drag racing community since 1997. I haven't seen it and it is not for lack of effort. We ran the 10.91 after pushing the heads cam car (w/519rwhp) damn close to it's limits.

I know several guys that have run near stock cars to their limits. Paul Suloff for example - 1996 GTS with minimal bolt ons (T&Ds, headers, exhaust, throttle bodies and gears). This guy has hit 1.3x 60' times on slicks and run 11.0x powershifting. These sixty foot times could never happen on drag radials and that ET could never happen in a stock car.

I'd agree that every tenth off the 60 foot CAN result in 2 tenths down the track. I'd also venture to say a stock viper with 3.07's does NOT have the torque needed to run a 1.4 sixty foot. IMO, it would bog hard, falling on it's face, or cook the clutch if pushed without a set of gears.

I'm also familiar with the numbers some of the Z06 guys have posted but I'm not interested in comparing apples to oranges. Different car, different rules.. These guys have turned some impressive times but I would argue that the guys hitting <=11.8 in stock cars are leaving VERY little on the table to these guys.

Anyway, I'd still realistically suggest 550rwhp to anyone looking to actually run a 10.xx (on slicks). Even at that power level, I've seen many many inexperienced viper owners fail to run the number.

Regards,
Scott W

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm proudly a member of TOMMY GUN's BTR 10second club!
Jump in its a beautifull thing!
It was done with nitrous 580RW/650TQ :2tu:

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My best in my stock viper is 11.70, and that was with an awesome 1.7X 60' on pilots. A fluke, yeah, but I really don't think slicks would have helped my time all that much. A 5000 rpm launch on slicks may get me to 11.50 or 11.40, if my axles survive, but no where close to 10.99.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my car with 510/540 has ran a best of 10.94 with et streets. I agree with Scott W and I heard that guy Paul cutting 1.3x 60's still cant break into the 10's with some bolt ons. So a stock Viper will never run a 10 even with slicks.

with 580/680 I can run 10.4x's.

Also a big variable will be the weather conditions and track prep.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bullet:

I agree with everything you said, except the new drag radials (MT and BFG) are not a lot different than the MT ET's (bias ply slicks). I have both the MT bias ply and the new drag radials.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

One of the guys I normally go to the drags with (maybe you'll see this and add / correct Greg) has worked his butt off to get into the 10's and hasn't yet.

He runs consistent 11.20's in his 99 GTS. He has a highly modded, heads / cam / exhaust / ET Streets & skinnies / gears car that runs very well. I think his rwhp is 550, don't know the tq number.

His 60's are about 1.6. He is a very good, experienced "drag" driver.

One thing for certain, it " ain't as easy as it looks ". I haven't run outside of CA / AZ, so I'm not certain of the track and weather conditions where other Viper owners run, but they can have a big effect on your ET.

So Cal tracks are generally mediocre at best, so maybe he could get there on a good track, but I'm beginning to think that 600 rwhp is about the magic number to get the Viper into the 10's, assuming the driver does his part and the track and weather conditions are good.

Good luck,

Dan

Reaction score

Dan:

Actually my sixty foot times average more in the 1.75 range. I know on this board that's lousy with slicks, but it is what it is on less than optimally prepped SoCal tracks. I'm not going to blame my launch skills much more since you know I've tried a bunch of different launch strategies to trim that sixty foot number. My best trap speeds have been 128s which at some tracks should easily be good for Tens.

Here's one of my time slips that netted an 11.11 and in this example, a 1.6 second sixty foot time might have yielded a very high Ten.

189Drag_Results-med.jpg

I'm the slower car that lost to a big block, tubbed Camaro on the bottle. It was a non-streetable drag car that nailed a good sixty, but he had "huge meats" on the back. He probably would have been in the Nines at some better track.

I either need more ponies, a better driver or a better VHT treated track.

It's fun trying though. :smirk:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Greg

you have plenty of power as indicated by your mph. I have run a 10.94 at 126 with my heads/cam that only dyno'd 510 rwhp, but I had a 1.54 60 foot. It is all in the 60 foot.

Hell a 600 rwhp car isnt gonna get you into the 10's with a crappy 60 foot.

On that pass above a mid 1.6 60 foot would have yielded a very high 10 second pass. You definetly have enuf car.

Good luck
John

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Hey Greg,

The ponies haven't helped me, yet ...... but I'm working on it.

Dan