getting ready to do my first oil change on my 94

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there anything special i need to do or any helpful hints to help this go real smooth?? is mobile the best product to use??

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rags. Lots of rags. The oil filter is above the frame and you'll have to unscrew it, move it down, then rearward to get it "out."

Some are good at slipping a plastic bag over it before unscrewing it so it doesn't dribble all over. Others put strategic rags or cardboard to redirect the oil.

Mobil makes a 0W40 that has European specs and is the current Viper OEM oil. Or the Mobile Delvac 1 5W40 diesel oil.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I have used Mobil 1 10W-30 in our Gen I's for more than 10 years and have been quite happy...as are the cars and their respective oil analysis reports. I have also used Mobil M1-204 filters until a couple of years ago when questions were raised. For the past few years, I have used Mopar's Viper specific oil filter 05037836AA which fits all Vipers from 1992 thru 2006 inclusive (08 and 09 Vipers use a different filter).

More questions, call me.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd add that you should try to lift all for corners of the car off the ground because the oilpan drains from the center of one side, not the back. You can't drain it all out unless the car is level.

- J

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is the mobile 1 oil filter ok to use mi-204????

Many use the Mobil 1 MI-204. I have started using the MOPAR #5037836AA filter that is made specifically for the Viper application and is also recommended by many here.

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to be such a pain over a stupid oil change i just want to make sure i di it right. the mopar filter at the store the number is mo 909 not the 503... is this correct???? thanks for all the info. i am going to attempt tomorrow.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to be such a pain over a stupid oil change i just want to make sure i di it right. the mopar filter at the store the number is mo 909 not the 503... is this correct???? thanks for all the info. i am going to attempt tomorrow.

No problem. The new MOPAR # 5037836AA filter was designed specifically for the Viper engine and is recommended by the best Viper techs in the country. I don't know if it is "overkill" for the kind of driving we do, but the price differential with the old generic MOPAR filter or the Mobil 1 filter is much smaller than my daily allowance, so, I'm OK with paying the extra just for the peace of mind.

Picture in this thread http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/615433-whats-deal-new-mopar-oil-filters.html and many discussions on this site if you search on that part number.

Not all dealers are going to stock the new Viper-specific filter, and their parts manuals for older Vipers are going to lead them to the old part number which was the only one available until the new improved version came out in the last few years.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
were does one find this??

My closest dealer didn't stock it; but another near there did. They usually can look at nearby stock availability to see if there is another stocked in town.

What Mopar originally lists for Vipers or the Mobil-1 are just fine if you are wanting to get the oil change done before you can get the "special" high flow filter. People have been using those others successfully for years. If you are tracking your car or drag racing it, I'd recommend waiting for the Viper filter.

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am going to get the mobile 1 filter while i am under thier how many grease fittings are thier on each side i should do that also. thanks

OP
OP
T

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
decided to order right filter from chuck will attempt this weekend.