Got a Roe Supercharger? Please read

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOPE...Kwang just kept her clean and healthy....
Yeah Tony....my airfuel ratio on the wide band reads @ 15..is this high. The car does not smell rich @ idle...but it pops like hell on the decelleration. I thought the air fuel should be 2 12????:dunno:

Thanks buddy:D

Please tell me you are joking about the 15:1 :crazy2:

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your just on the wrong end to hear it ;) The 5lb pulley might not make as much noise but it's still there. BTW, if that's the car from Atlanta I did the install.
Actually, this might be your exact s/c, just on a different car. Same pulley as yours....making a little noise huh :D
[media]http://www.streetcarforums.com/videos/viper1048.mpg[/media]

**** tony..your car runs out badass!!!!!!!!...yeah if my car sounds like that which it should I need too take a video clip:D

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOPE...Kwang just kept her clean and healthy....
Yeah Tony....my airfuel ratio on the wide band reads @ 15..is this high. The car does not smell rich @ idle...but it pops like hell on the decelleration. I thought the air fuel should be 2 12????:dunno:

Thanks buddy:D

Go read all previous posts. I answered this question for you :). You can also google superchargers and afr and get a non viper specific answer since it is not relative.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony (or any of youse other guys :D),
This past weekend I noticed some "knocking/pinging" under acceleration (4th gear from 2000 rpms seemed to be most noticeable). A/F gauge been acting up some, but when it's working, it's reading 11.5-12.5-ish during hard accel.. Could be some bad gas? Is that sound detonation? If fuel pressure was low, a/f would be way lean, right?
No smoking, idles good, runs great at cruising. And no, I haven't had a chance to do much logging :D

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This past weekend I noticed some "knocking/pinging" under acceleration (4th gear from 2000 rpms seemed to be most noticeable). A/F gauge been acting up some, but when it's working, it's reading 11.5-12.5-ish during hard accel.. Could be some bad gas? Is that sound detonation? If fuel pressure was low, a/f would be way lean, right?
No smoking, idles good, runs great at cruising. And no, I haven't had a chance to do much logging :D

sounds like detonation...I had a supercharged 2000 Silverado and a supercharged 96 SS camaro.....It sounded like popcorn popping when engine was detonating

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that AFR at WOT is bad, 14 will blow your motor and quick. Calibrate your sensor or get it to a dyno shop so they can read your afr and make sure your not having issues with your controller for the motor. I run aem uego wideband and it free air calibrates itself, no removing it.

How do you tell if the car is pinging? I have not heard this sound before, is it very noticeable? I ran my car to rev limit yesterday in 1st and she felt stable as ever. Gripped like a champ and just planted me to the seat. No missing power.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you tell if the car is pinging? I have not heard this sound before, is it very noticeable? I ran my car to rev limit yesterday in 1st and she felt stable as ever. Gripped like a champ and just planted me to the seat. No missing power.

I would compare the sound to "diesling". You know, in the old days :D when you would turn your car off and it would keep trying to run, rattling until it shut off. But not that bad, of course. Like the valves are "rattling" sound.:dunno:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do I preform a "free-air" test???:dunno:

What kind of WBO do you have? Innovate LC-1/XD-15 gauge, you have to pull the sensor out("free air) (recommended) push the calibrate button 3x's fast, when calibrate flashes, push it one more time and gauge should read 20.9 (I think). If it's reading 20.9 after it warms up prior to starting engine, then, I guess it's calibrated.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1st and 2nd pulls seem fine. Seems to be more noticeable when in 4th like maybe too much load? Like timing is not adjusting.:dunno:

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of WBO do you have? Innovate LC-1/XD-15 gauge, you have to pull the sensor out("free air) (recommended) push the calibrate button 3x's fast, when calibrate flashes, push it one more time and gauge should read 20.9 (I think). If it's reading 20.9 after it warms up prior to starting engine, then, I guess it's calibrated.

It is Autometer Wideband..

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah that AFR at WOT is bad, 14 will blow your motor and quick. Calibrate your sensor or get it to a dyno shop so they can read your afr and make sure your not having issues with your controller for the motor. I run aem uego wideband and it free air calibrates itself, no removing it.

The car has a VEC 2 and autometer wideband...I thought the higher the number the richer it is.. I would not think 14 would blow motor because it is rich and running plenty of fuel?....

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AFR=Air to Fuel
15 to 1 means 15 units of air to 1 unit of fuel
10 to 1 means 10 units of air to 1 unit of fuel

Less air means more fuel, make sense? You can google this information :)

At WOT you don't want 14 to 1, you want high 11's low 12's. Any higher and you run the risk of motor damage.

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AFR=Air to Fuel
15 to 1 means 15 units of air to 1 unit of fuel
10 to 1 means 10 units of air to 1 unit of fuel

Less air means more fuel, make sense? You can google this information :)

At WOT you don't want 14 to 1, you want high 11's low 12's. Any higher and you run the risk of motor damage.

thanks for the quick lesson:D

now I need to find someone local too cincy that can dyno tune a viper:(

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could be the fuel. Could be the cooler air. If different fuel doesn't help we could take a few degrees timing out.

To me, detonation sounds like small gravels from a freshly paved road when they are thrown against the wheel wells.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... sounds like small gravels from a freshly paved road when they are thrown against the wheel wells.

With these V700's, I am definitely hearing that sound :D
I thought about loading Sean's 9D card to see if that would do it or maybe just re-load the 6D card. I'll check it out this weekend.

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep those numbers are great. If you can datalog off your vec I recommend it and getting a very accurate reading.

data log:dunno:..I'm a complete computer idoit!...If i knew what you were talking about and had the knowledge I would do it.
What are the benefits?

Thanks.
Troy.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically the VEC (your controller for your supercharger)has the ability to plug into a computer and give exact measurements of what the engine is doing. You are able to plug your Air Fuel gauge into the vec and get that on the log. That way by looking at a graph you can see for example at 2000 rpm your throttle position was 56 percent, your air fuel was 13.1, your timing, iat correction, boost level and so much more. Makes it easier to diagnose issues.

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Basically the VEC (your controller for your supercharger)has the ability to plug into a computer and give exact measurements of what the engine is doing. You are able to plug your Air Fuel gauge into the vec and get that on the log. That way by looking at a graph you can see for example at 2000 rpm your throttle position was 56 percent, your air fuel was 13.1, your timing, iat correction, boost level and so much more. Makes it easier to diagnose issues.

sounds sweeet..but I have no labtop..thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you now own a Viper, a supercharged one at that. You have to pay to play so I would highly recommend picking up a laptop and learning how your supercharger works and how to datalog. Will make it easier in the future if you need to diagnose or you need advice on this forum about an issue you might have.

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well you now own a Viper, a supercharged one at that. You have to pay to play so I would highly recommend picking up a laptop and learning how your supercharger works and how to datalog. Will make it easier in the future if you need to diagnose or you need advice on this forum about an issue you might have.

yeah..you r right...it would be fun to learn. I'll check into it:D

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody using the Roe blower cam? Curious on how much power and how it sounds?

Also..how tuff is it too install forged slugs? Is it worth the time and cash?

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody using the Roe blower cam? Curious on how much power and how it sounds?

Also..how tuff is it too install forged slugs? Is it worth the time and cash?
Do a search for my V10 build and UKBaz's thread on replacing the cast pistons.

You don't have to log. It sounds like you have a pretty good tune right now.
Before you run out and buy a laptop, learn what you are doing. Read all the tuning articles in the Gen2 Tuning section, especially the ones by DamnYankee. Read all the tuning instructions from Roe that came with the S/C. Then get a laptop and start learning what all the maps and features of the VEC are. Don't just go out, log, and then start messing with the maps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang