Got a Roe Supercharger? Please read

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I got out and made the necessary adjustments. If anyone has 3.55's and log in 3rd gear, that amount figures out at "15". At least that's what I came up with at 3000 rpms, doing 45 in 3rd gear. Also, with passenger in car I had weight set at 4200lbs. My hp/tq seem way off. My car does seem to be running a little on the weak side, but 100hp off??? How accurate are those readings??

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading a post by damn yankee a while back saying they were very off.

They are WAY off. I spoke to DY about this at great length in '07. I don't recall a specific post from DY on this but I will search for it and post results if I find them.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the very best ....HP/TQ ratings on the VEC should only even be considered as a relative amount to each other based on log tune changes made. i don't believe them accurate for actual HP/TQ. I don't even use them for that.

The best way to look for improvement while logging is to take a snapshot of time, speed, and the AFR attained with the log. If the ET improves...you dun good!

I use 2700 RPM in 3rd (3:45 gears) up to 5250 RPM. The MPH is also in the log if you have your gearing inputted correctly and saved to a file.

Steve

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My weight number is set to 3400# and my hp reading was 1,000 - way off.

I'm following all the 2.8L blower info. Sean's also busy doing his own and figuring the injectors and tune stuff for us. Maybe he's got it done? Said he'd let me know, but he's so busy ...

Ted

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are WAY off. I spoke to DY about this at great length in '07. I don't recall a specific post from DY on this but I will search for it and post results if I find them.

I remember that too. Didn't know if anyone had found the "secret" to accuracy yet.

At the very best ....HP/TQ ratings on the VEC should only even be considered as a relative amount to each other based on log tune changes made. i don't believe them accurate for actual HP/TQ. I don't even use them for that.

The best way to look for improvement while logging is to take a snapshot of time, speed, and the AFR attained with the log. If the ET improves...you dun good!

I use 2700 RPM in 3rd (3:45 gears) up to 5250 RPM. The MPH is also in the log if you have your gearing inputted correctly and saved to a file.

Steve

My mph seemed a little off too. 89 mph at 5900 rpm??

My weight number is set to 3400# and my hp reading was 1,000 - way off.

I'm following all the 2.8L blower info. Sean's also busy doing his own and figuring the injectors and tune stuff for us. Maybe he's got it done? Said he'd let me know, but he's so busy ...

Ted

My door jamb tag says 3890 lbs. 1 passenger at 170, 1 at 140. That's how I figured my 4200. Yes, Sean is very busy right now.
Thanks for all the replies.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember that too. Didn't know if anyone had found the "secret" to accuracy yet.

My door jamb tag says 3890 lbs. 1 passenger at 170, 1 at 140. That's how I figured my 4200. Yes, Sean is very busy right now.

I don't think there is a secret for accuracy on the HP thing. I did talk to Sean about it a couple years ago. The consensus was to use it as a relative measurement to show improvement. My logs showed that didn't work so well either

The IAT function in the VEC 3 is a definite plus and should be utilized if running in varying temps....especially colder.

I use 3450 as a dry weight and then add me,passenger sometimes, 30# trunk tools/stuff, gas, 60# net more weight for the Roe. ...not sure if the spare is counted in the dry weight. I have 4000# plugged in for mine usually....not that it matters. i only use the ET method and AFR to see how I'm doing.

Your MPH at 5900 with 3:55s should be around 99. You need to input the calculation into the VEC gear portion and then save it to a log file. Always start a new log by opening a file with the corrected info...otherwise it defaults to the factory settings for a 3:07 rearend....at least that's what an upgraded VEC 2 does. Vec 3s have some differences which make them a little easier to work with.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I should add that 99 MPH applies to stock GEN II MPS tires. If you run larger tires, the MPH will be higher as you are effectively running a smaller number gear ratio.

There is also no reason to run to 5900 RPM if logging to tune. 5500 is plenty good enough. I actually add a lot of fuel back in starting at 5750. Per Sean, the stock valve train springs are not the strongest piece in the car. Sometimes it’s hard to catch 1st and 2nd gear before 6K, but I typically never shift over 5500-5600 in our cars.

Steve

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should add that 99 MPH applies to stock GEN II MPS tires. If you run larger tires, the MPH will be higher as you are effectively running a smaller number gear ratio.

There is also no reason to run to 5900 RPM if logging to tune. 5500 is plenty good enough. I actually add a lot of fuel back in starting at 5750. Per Sean, the stock valve train springs are not the strongest piece in the car. Sometimes it’s hard to catch 1st and 2nd gear before 6K, but I typically never shift over 5500-5600 in our cars.

Steve

Good info. Thanks.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are probably around 3700 with both seats full ??

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is the weight tag on door jamb with full tank, trunk, passengers(gvw)? I changed my setting to 3700 and HP/TRQ dropped considerably. I'm now at an impressive 455hp/480trq :D
Dyno 2 yrs ago of 592/565 must've been a fluke :D.

Since I mentioned it, why are my trq #'s lower than hp (when I see similar set ups with cars having more trq #'s than hp) ? does that have to do with exhaust flow? (I don't have cats).
my torque seems to "fall off" as HP increases.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If tthe car dry is 3450 (no gas/no anything in the car).....how can the loaded weight be 3700#? That's only 250# for everything??

Is the weight tag on door jamb with full tank, trunk, passengers(gvw)? I changed my setting to 3700 and HP/TRQ dropped considerably. I'm now at an impressive 455hp/480trq :D
Dyno 2 yrs ago of 592/565 must've been a fluke :D.

Since I mentioned it, why are my trq #'s lower than hp (when I see similar set ups with cars having more trq #'s than hp) ? does that have to do with exhaust flow? (I don't have cats).
my torque seems to "fall off" as HP increases.

You should be paying no attention to the VEC HP/TQ numbers

Steve

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be paying no attention to the VEC HP/TQ numbers

Steve

I don't. I was just curious about the accuracy. For that matter, I don't know my altitude, coeficient of drag or the air density for the settings either. :lmao:
I am gonna change my plugs w/i a few weeks, do some new pulls and see if that will help my "lean" issues. I've got the feeling the stock plugs are probably done after 1 yr (3000 miles) of a "few" WOT's !:D

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a print screen of a recent log. See how my torque decreases as HP increases??? Is that typical?
(don't pay attention to the numbers, just the graph)

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's one of A/F. I'd been experiencing some pinging last fall, but WBO gauge seem to be OK at WOT (11.5-12.5). I replaced sensor. Seemed a little lean (by ear), and by this, I was/am. Could be my plugs. Gonna pull the current stockers, inspect and replace with either the Champion 12ECC's or the Bosch's that come with the Roe. Thanks Sean and Dan for y'alls help. As well as rest of my Roe group members. I'll post some updates when I get a chance to upload some changes.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your torque curve looks fine, but you are actually pretty lean in the lower RPM range, I'd richen that up a bit if was me.

As far as the HP readings go, I tried this function on a beta version of sofware that I was testing for Sean for other reasons. I measured 580 with the VEC and dyno'd 570's on the dyno which was pretty close, but I think that was luck more than anything else as later I could not duplicate the same result.

What I did find useful was that the TQ graph showed a major dip which I was able to correct by feeding in some more timing at that point.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your torque curve looks fine, but you are actually pretty lean in the lower RPM range, I'd richen that up a bit if was me.

As far as the HP readings go, I tried this function on a beta version of sofware that I was testing for Sean for other reasons. I measured 580 with the VEC and dyno'd 570's on the dyno which was pretty close, but I think that was luck more than anything else as later I could not duplicate the same result.

What I did find useful was that the TQ graph showed a major dip which I was able to correct by feeding in some more timing at that point.

Sean has sent me some adjustments adding more fuel in those areas. Hopefully I can change/inspect plugs this weekend and give it a shot. Thanks.
I see you have same gears as I do. What is your log setting for 3rd gear pull, 15.0?? Also, what is your mph at 5500?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the plugs yesterday. Seems to be some inconsistencies (specifically 6 and 8) in the burn. . These have about 4000 miles on them. I think #2 was replaced later and doesn't have as many miles on it. I did a couple of WOT's then about 5 miles back to my house normal driving. Probably doesn't help to know that, but thought I'd throw that in. Also, I don't think I have a way to check LTFT? can that be done in the VEC3?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the plugs yesterday. Seems to be some inconsistencies (specifically 6 and 8) in the burn. . These have about 4000 miles on them. I think #2 was replaced later and doesn't have as many miles on it. I did a couple of WOT's then about 5 miles back to my house normal driving. Probably doesn't help to know that, but thought I'd throw that in. Also, I don't think I have a way to check LTFT? can that be done in the VEC3?

I am certainly not the authority on plugs that others here are......but to me, you're too lean on most plugs. Your 8 is the minimum coloration I shoot for. 9 &10 were the problem plugs(too rich) before cylinder trim came into being.

LTFT...not with a VEC. You need to get a basic EASE set up like Sean sells ( I bought), or maybe you have friends with this basic diagnostic equipment that would plug into your PCM and have a look. Not setting this first caused me some grief and much re-logging after moving my base set from 65% to 70%. I am not alone here in having had to change the base set to agree with the pcm in closed loop

Steve

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock plugs with a ROE huh? What PSI are you running? Burns look really good all thing considered with a ROE. The ground straps seem to indicate a good heat range (blued about 1/2 the way down). So as Ken indicated, burning clean and hot! Not sure how ofter you abuse it, but a colder plug might be in your future. Wish i could get mine to look that "nice."

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock plugs with a ROE huh? What PSI are you running? Burns look really good all thing considered with a ROE. The ground straps seem to indicate a good heat range (blued about 1/2 the way down). So as Ken indicated, burning clean and hot! Not sure how ofter you abuse it, but a colder plug might be in your future. Wish i could get mine to look that "nice."

Running 6.5 lb. Stockers seem to be OK unless doing alot of track and drag racing. I was going to put some of the Bosch's back in, but I had an extra set of the stockers here. The Wizard says if gapped at .032 (instead of .035) they are a little hotter and will work fine for Roe as long as not doing a lot of drag racing. I'd change if going to the strip. Even tho I only had 4000 miles on 'em, I wanted to check them out and put new ones in before I load a new tune in. Thanks guys.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the spark plugs yesterday in my Viper and to me they looked like they are burning to hot. I however replaced them with the same plugs that I took out because I have raced the car at the track and it is purring and I do run 116 octane fuel mixed with 50% 93 Octane. It never skips a beat. These plugs are Bosch Platinum +2. Does anyone else use these? I also put on a new set of Mickey Thompson Street E/Ts because my sixty ft with the same tire is 1.50s so I am afraid to try different ones. Now I am ready to go to the track and do some serious drag racing. My best last time out was 6.81 1/8th and I know it will run a few tenths faster. Anyone wanting to get together at Montgomery, Holt (FL), Valdosta, Bradenton to race our Vipers, Please let me know......I wanna play.....ha! :2tu: :headbang: :drive: :D :rolleyes:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't see much color on the #2 threads. Looks like it's been used for 1 short run and pulled out. Dead cylinder? No fuel?

Go WOT, hold foot on floor, turn off key, put shifter into neutral, coast to stop and pull plugs. Only way to read WOT cylinder mixture.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My original post explains # 2. From what I can remember, I broke the plug in that cylinder doing an inspection. So that is a replacement that doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Thanks for checking guys.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you Roe guys looking to draw out some more power, water **** kit has been added to the classifieds. If your interested feel free to shoot me a pm.

Roe Racing Water **** Setup Brand new - ViperClub Classifieds

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raced my Viper today in HOLT FL, 1/8th mi track and ran my best 60' of 1.4539 on my new M/T ET Street tires.I also ran 60' of 1.4780 & 1.4939. I was running in the 7.00 class and had to slow my time down quite alot trying to run close to that 7.00 without breaking out.
1st round eliminations I broke out trying to slow down and getting off it and ran a 6.89 on the 7.00. I was the only car there that was a street car, drove it to the track and drove it home. I was very happy about those 60' times. Just wanted to bore you with my day at the races. My best E/T was a 6.7903 with a 1.5160 60'.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang