GOT LIFT ?? $1000 gets you this TO YOUR DOOR !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after my Dad tells me about an inexpensive lift that he just got from harbor frieght and wishes he had bought it sooner, I just had to get one for myself.

Its a great lift for those without the room for a fullsize lift.

Took me about 2 hours max to set it up, and now I am raising and lifting the old viper like I was Whodenee :-D

Its works great on the vipers.. here is the link to the lift on Harbor Freight Web Site:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46604

Here are the photos:

435sm_DSC00683.jpg

435sm_DSC00684.jpg

435sm_DSC00685.jpg

435sm_DSC00686.jpg

435sm_DSC00687.jpg

435sm_DSC00688.jpg

435sm_DSC00689.jpg

435sm_DSC00690.jpg

435sm_DSC00691.jpg

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: GOT LIFT ?? $1000 TO YOUR DOOR gets you this !!

Great sissor lift! Is it difficult to line the car up over it to get to the right lift points?

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice, but how do you fit another Viper under there?? :)

Looks like plenty of clearance b/t the roof and the garage door. Thanks for the link!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well no suprise, we did my buddies s2k in like 5 mins. The viper took a little more time, the NICE thing is once you set it up and know your locations, its a snap to revisit them quickly. So yes difficult the FIRST time, easy as pie each time after that.

Jon

PS. I think my car is getting pissed, I keep rasing and lowering it like I am some kind of magician, it didnt mind the first 10 times .. but really its starting to wonder if I have a life ... ;-)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I cant tell if I like it, can you post another picture! :cool: jk

lol, yeah went a little crazy.. but I just KNEW someone would ask me to take photos from different angles so they could see something or other, so I thought I would shot gun blast 'em. Gotta love broadband. Sorry if your on dial up !!

Jon

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like all the pics, Jon. It gives us "the complete picture". What are the boards -- do you have to drive on them to get clearance?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the pics...but you need to change your exposure level on the pictures. they are way to dark

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

hmm..Thanks for the pics, I'm scoping out your garage. I see some things I want! ha! ha!

Jon, does it run off of 110 volts or 220?

Can you take some pics from underneath? I want to see what you have access to.

Man your car looks sweeeet!

Who's the monkey under the car?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Or if you have the height (and the money) you can get it's big brother and have full undercar access....

You must be registered for see images

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That reminds me Ron, I need to come get my exhaust.

Will check with you next week.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm still amazed the the Silver SRT gets sloppy seconds and is left outside.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Or if you have the height (and the money) you can get it's big brother and have full undercar access....

You must be registered for see images

How much was yours?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol, I doubt few of us here have a problem with the "money" part. Also at the point I had THAT much room, I DEFINETLY would do a Full lift, either a 2 post or 4 post, not a sizzor lift.

AB, I'll take some photos for ya, and the Monkey is just some punk that I get to do all my labor for me... for FREE.... oh yeah thats me..

OH and BTW, if you want that lift that Ron is talking about, they sell that too:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90049

But for the money and the room, I would get this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90046

or even this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46299

Hope this helps provide options for everyone !!

Jon

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Big,

It's warm and toasty waiting for the reunion.

ab, it's lists for $5800 and with the VCA discount is $4990. Made in Germany by the largest European lift manufacturer.

Not cheap, but unique in that it's 4 inches thick when down, so you can drive right over it and 6'7" when at full height. If you so desire, you can mount it flush to the floor with a bit of concrete work. 7,000 lbs capacity, full undercar access, and very floor friendly (4" 3,000lbs concrete requirement) as the weight is broadly distributed, unlike a two post.

If you want undercar storage, not the right lift. If you have the height, but not the width for a 4 or 2 post, have a normal garage floor, want wheels free and complete under car access, this is the lift for you.

I have a .pdf of the manual if your interested.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hmm..Thanks for the pics, I'm scoping out your garage. I see some things I want! ha! ha!

Jon, does it run off of 110 volts or 220?

Can you take some pics from underneath? I want to see what you have access to.

Man your car looks sweeeet!

Who's the monkey under the car?

Runs off 110 volts. Raises and lowers pretty quickly too (if you want, you can also take it slow). The only EXTRA thing you have to buy is a gallon and 1/2 of hydraulic jack fluid, other then that, everything you need is included.

OH yeah someone asked about the wood ramps, YES they were needed, because my car is lowered (courtesy of the ACR suspension)I needed the extra clearance the boards provided. My buddy and I (probably just me, cuz my buddy is lazy) are going to build a more permanent drive over ramp, something that makes it a breeze to drive over the lift everyday without worries or the need for a second person. Might actually get it done this weekend !!

Jon

PS. The S2000, aka Silver srt-10 (HoosierDaddy), drives over it just fine.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice lift for the money. My concern is safety. Are you under the lift without it being locked. It doesn't appear to have a locking device at regular intervals or even in the full up position. When we provide sicissors lifts for industry there is a method of locking the lift in the up position for maintenance purposes. Never get under a lift without taking safety precautions; it is a mechanical device subject to failure when you least expect it. Don't mean to preach, but concerned about your life :)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

The Harbor Freight / BendPack Scissor isn't the same, but looks like a great value. Thanks for the link.

Disagree though on the money. My spending another $5K on my hobby was a difficult financial decision. I'd guess that I'm not alone on that.

My issue with the 2 post is that my garage floor has several expansion joints in it that would have required cutting and repouring as two posts must be at least 8 inches from any joint. Second, typical garage floors are 4 inch 2,500 lbs concrete, way underspec'd for any two post lift. Last, given the standard garage configuration, a two post would certainly block the door on the vehicle parked to either side.

A four post on the other hand, while taking up even more room in the garage, is not wheels free. If you really want to work on the car, as opposed to store it, I'd think wheels free would be a requirement, though you could use a bridge and jack it up while on the 4 poster, clumsy but doable.

For me, a double scissor was the only option. The Nussbaum unit (the one I own) has a lower collapsed height and a higher lift height than the Harbor freight, but assuming the quality is the same it might be hard to justify the cost variance.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice lift for the money. My concern is safety. Are you under the lift without it being locked. It doesn't appear to have a locking device at regular intervals or even in the full up position. When we provide sicissors lifts for industry there is a method of locking the lift in the up position for maintenance purposes. Never get under a lift without taking safety precautions; it is a mechanical device subject to failure when you least expect it. Don't mean to preach, but concerned about your life :)

Actually it does. I dont know of any lift that is made today that doesnt have safety mechanisms to them. Think about the liability issue the manufacturer would be facing. The locing mechanism is upfront, its part of the lifting mechanism. I tested it MANY times before I dared to venture under the vechicle. Thank you for your concern, but my safety is far more important to me then any inanimate object.. including my viper.

Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

The Harbor Freight / BendPack Scissor isn't the same, but looks like a great value. Thanks for the link.

Disagree though on the money. My spending another $5K on my hobby was a difficult financial decision. I'd guess that I'm not alone on that.

My issue with the 2 post is that my garage floor has several expansion joints in it that would have required cutting and repouring as two posts must be at least 8 inches from any joint. Second, typical garage floors are 4 inch 2,500 lbs concrete, way underspec'd for any two post lift. Last, given the standard garage configuration, a two post would certainly block the door on the vehicle parked to either side.

A four post on the other hand, while taking up even more room in the garage, is not wheels free. If you really want to work on the car, as opposed to store it, I'd think wheels free would be a requirement, though you could use a bridge and jack it up while on the 4 poster, clumsy but doable.

For me, a double scissor was the only option. The Nussbaum unit (the one I own) has a lower collapsed height and a higher lift height than the Harbor freight, but assuming the quality is the same it might be hard to justify the cost variance.

Ron, I agree. I cant claim to see the difference between yours and harbor freights design, but you have first hand knowledge of yours, so I wont contend. The 5k on hobbies, well that's a good point, but my car isn't a hobby its a way of life for me its one the most enjoyable non animate objects in my life, so 1k, 5k, 10k, or 70k-90k (sticker for various vipers) isn't too much to spend in my book on something that helps me to maximize my enjoyment of automobiles. However to my defense, the lift versions I spoke of really are from 1k-3k max, so when I spoke I didn't know you paid 5k for yours. I would agree that I couldn't justify spending 5k for your version vs. the harbor freight version given what I am looking for. Also the four and 2 post versions I speak of, are ones that you decide on while you are building your home, or are willing to make changes to your current garage for. Neither of those two were options for me, so I chose the version I did. My point was that I picked my version for my use, if we are going to speak about different options we should include for informational purposes, more then just the scissor versions. Best of luck 2 you and you lift, I hope you are as excited about it as I am about mine.

Jon

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually it does. I dont know of any lift that is made today that doesnt have safety mechanisms to them. Think about the liability issue the manufacturer would be facing. The locing mechanism is upfront, its part of the lifting mechanism. I tested it MANY times before I dared to venture under the vechicle. Thank you for your concern, but my safety is far more important to me then any inanimate object.. including my viper.
Glad to hear this Jon. I am more familiar with industrial lifts made by Southworth, Autoquip, American Sicsors, etc. They use a bar that drops down behind the lower roller (the one riding the floor on yours). I would suggest something we do to protect the concrete from getting "chewed" up by steel rollers or casters riding the concrete. Take a narrow piece of 16 gage steel the length of your roller travel and use construction adhesive to secure it to the floor. It is thin and will stay put.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon,

I'm with you on that, the lift was a great purchase. If I were to design my garage from scratch, would certainly have gone with a name brand 2 post. Now having owned the scissor, I'd counter sink it the 4 inches and have it flush to the floor. Either way, it's almost a must have if you like working on cars.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to hear this Jon. I am more familiar with industrial lifts made by Southworth, Autoquip, American Sicsors, etc. They use a bar that drops down behind the lower roller (the one riding the floor on yours). I would suggest something we do to protect the concrete from getting "chewed" up by steel rollers or casters riding the concrete. Take a narrow piece of 16 gage steel the length of your roller travel and use construction adhesive to secure it to the floor. It is thin and will stay put.

Hey SnakeBite this is perfect, I too was thinking SOMETHING needed to be done w/ the rollers to stop from eating up my epoxy floor covering. Again, I just got the lift delivered to me last night at 6pm, and I got to where I was at and figured I'd clean up the "rough edges" of the project so to speak, over the weekend. Thanks for the solution to one of them.

Jon,

I'm with you on that, the lift was a great purchase. If I were to design my garage from scratch, would certainly have gone with a name brand 2 post. Now having owned the scissor, I'd counter sink it the 4 inches and have it flush to the floor. Either way, it's almost a must have if you like working on cars.

Ron,
I hear ya, I too would like to counter sink my lift as it would make it so much easier. I had constraints just as you did and figured this was a great place to start/relatively simple solution. My next home will have all 3 versions. I am that much of a car nut, that I can appreciate the value-add each one brings to various jobs you can do on a car.

Either way, no matter which lift we pick, seems like we all agree on the car we are lifting !! :2tu:

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That Harbor Freight lift looks just like what I need.
Does it bolt down to the floor in some fashion?
Also do you think a stock Viper (not lowered 94 RT/10) would drive over it without cutting into the garage floor, or having to use "ramps"?
Cheers,

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FYI... for all who order stuff from Harbor Freight... For their best price go to "order from catalog" on their web site and punch in higher numbers from the - X-vga and pick the best price you get. For example on this scissor lift, if you use 46604-1VGA the price is 899 instead of 969...hope that saves you guys some bux!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FYI... for all who order stuff from Harbor Freight... For their best price go to "order from catalog" on their web site and punch in higher numbers from the - X-vga and pick the best price you get. For example on this scissor lift, if you use 46604-1VGA the price is 899 instead of 969...hope that saves you guys some bux!

Awesome trick !! where were you 3 weeks ago !! ;-) Thx. I'll use that from now on !!

Jon

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2002 Viper,
I have been looking at one of these for a while. Question: Is there room under to drain oil and remove oil filter?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2002 Viper,
I have been looking at one of these for a while. Question: Is there room under to drain oil and remove oil filter?

PLENTY OF ROOM !! I havent gotten around to photos, becasue well I'm a slacker and having too much fun with my new toy. I'l get some here soon, but the only obstructed area is the transmission tunnel cover. Which can still be removed, and ones its removed you can gain access to the tranny too, just cant remove the tranny, as there is a bar in the way.

Jon

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much does it weigh? Do you think it could be taken to the track and used as a portable lift?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960