Gotta love the rumor mill......

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On AllPar news...........

Allpar News claims no Viper for 2007 model year.......

Anyone here believe that the 2006 Coupe would be a one year model? Get real.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So wait, nothing will be released from CAAP after all the current coupes are gone till 2008? These guys are slow. 2 years for a "more potent" viper? What about those sightings some of the people on here that have seen presumably a coupe with the carbon concept hood?

I'll start with a first guess...
600 HP ACR

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This word has been on the AllPar forum for several days already. It is hard to believe that they would throw away the NRE already invested in the new coupe. It's likely that the plant shutdown is related to addition of a new car to the plant (read: Firepower!) as well as some other changes that are also rumored for the Viper. However, it's not totally out of the realm of possibilities that the Viper could be getting a new skin come MY2008 - afterall the gen III sales have not met corporate expectations given that it has fairly consistently had a supply of over 200 days available and at times that number has closed in on 300 days. At some point, they will have to do something to revive sales or else just cancel the whole platform.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
corvette didnt have vett for one year sooo maybe the viper will do the same. dc might just be listening to us. honestly I think if viper takes a year off then comes back with more hp that would be cool. for 07 they should make only like 200 vipers so then it would be the "rarest" year. then come back in 08 with more hp, less weight etc. sounds good to me!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the VCA/SRT autocross banquet, one gentleman was told:
If you don't have room in the garage for a "gen4" ... you better start building on !!

This was straight from a SRT head honcho.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the VCA/SRT autocross banquet, one gentleman was told: If you don't have room in the garage for a "gen4" ... you better start building on!! This was straight from a SRT head honcho.

Now any Viper enthusiast has got to like a comment like that. So where are those early Gen4 pics and working specs anyway? :2tu:

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the new first editions will also be the final editions.

I believe they would make a Finally Final Edition for that. Or a Farewell Mamba. Either one it doesn't matter. The mall kiosk guy is standing by eagerly waiting to make some more wretchedly cheap plaques to capitalize on this newfound special edition hotness.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...Allpar News: No Viper for 2007 model year

Don't Miss VOI-9......

JonB (.....B as in Believer?)

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On AllPar news...........

Allpar News: No Viper for 2007 model year.

Yes, I believe it. THe coupe isn't all that. At best it is a bandaid "fix" that is merely a throw back to previous years. :rolleyes:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I think they will need that new '08 Gen 4 w/ at least 650 HP to compete with the Blue Devil Vette. Can anyone say $100K for each? :eek:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think they will need that new '08 Gen 4 w/ at least 650 HP to compete with the Blue Devil Vette. Can anyone say $100K for each? :eek:
We are almost already there. I for one would spend a 100k on a Viper if it was a world ******!!!!

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next Generation?

Are there any next generation sketches out there? Any clues as to what they have in mind - mild facelift, changing out fenders or hoods or something?

"ZC" body code?

Does anyone know what the "ZC" body code that is mentioned in the Allpar rumor actually mean? What is the body code for the current SRT Viper? SRT-C Viper?

Firepower?

Any chance that the Firepower is a lightly disguised 2008 Viper - not a separate model but an evolution? My understanding is that the Firepower is probably just being added to the Viper production line as a separate 5.7 Hemi powered Chrysler model. Is there some other thinking regarding shutting down Viper production for a year - some kind of plant or production reason?

Horsepower?

I am not really buying the premise of taking a year to develop some Z06 beating horsepower (BTW the Viper does have more horses and torque right now than the Z06... that is EVERY SRT Viper has more than ANY C6 Corvette, Z06 included). There are too many easy ways to run up the power on the 505cid mill.

Ideas-Rumors?

I would like to take a try at creating a sketch... Any info-ideas-rumors?

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, yes the Firepower had that 6.1 liter 425hp "SRT-8" Hemi, I slipped up.

Know anything about that "ZC" code thing?

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know when the current Viper is not cutting it?

When viper enthusiasts are excited by the thought of canning the newly released Coupe to redesign it and release it as an 08 model.

Here is the formula:
Body lines like the GTS.
Power output in the 600-650hp range.
Weight <3300lbs.
Price <$100k.

They will sell like hot cakes. Oh yeah, and stop with all of the special edition BS. Lets try some significant editions. How about track edition, or lightweight edition, or high output edition? Sorry, but real car guys don't get very excited about colored stitching.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - It looks like the curent Viper SRT convert and Viper SRT coupe share the bodystyle code "ZB".

The Firepower would likely share the "ZC" platform with the Viper on or after 2008?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZB is the current Viper platform code. ZC is the next and ZD (which has also been mentioned on AllPar) will be after that.

Word has it that the Firepower! has been given a tentative green light and is, in fact, a separate vehicle from the Viper. They see the Firepower! (which will have a different, less stupid name) as a higher volume car to compete with the 'vette. The Firepower! will give DCX the ability to divide the costs of the ZC platform across more sales thus helping to stabilize the cost of the Viper and allow the bean counters to see the ZC as a profitable platform and thus keep it going into the future. I have heard that the Firepower! will base with th 5.7 and move up from there to the 6.1. I have not heard if any edition of the Firepower! having the V-10, but it's certainly a possibility.

The next Viper engine supposedly is a. 8.4L V-10 MPI. It has been rumored that this engine will have 700HP. I've heard separate rumors of a V-10 being tested on a DCX dyno and peaking at 720HP. I had just chalked this up to a race only engine, but it actually falls pretty closely in line with the latest rumors regarding the 8.4L.

As for your questions regarding the looks of the gen IV Viper, I don't have any answers. I would guess that only a highly limited and closely controlled set of people have seen anything to do with the next Viper skin. Drivetrain testing would be done concealed in current gen III mules and full test gen IV mules will not need to be run on public roads until we are much nearer the release of the car.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that makes sense to me is a total re-work that makes the car significantly lighter and more aerodynamic. Just adding a bigger engine, more power, and new styling is not a big step forward. If folks just want more power, you can easily get it from any number of tuners out there.

Shaving off several hundred pounds of weight would make me interested, because weight savings affect performance across the board, from braking to handling to acceleration. Improving the aerodynamics to give the car less drag and more downforce would also be a significant improvement.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What worries me is it takes bucks to make a high tech car (less weight, more power, aerodynamics, etc.) Do the SRT folks have the money to do the development? They may not unless their "parent" decides to release those bucks.

Sure would be exciting if it all happens.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Firepower! could use up all the technology of the Viper frame and suspension, offering a SRT 6.1 V8 and traction control, fancy interior, and some classy exterior, that could open the doors wide for Viper to really get radical.

Aluminum frame, carbon fiber body and components, radical brakes, dry sump lub, trick suspension and dramatic styling. Now that Vette has laid down the gauntlet, I believe that Team Viper will have a better chance to create the car the ViperNation craves.

Would love to see Vipers and Vettes back at LeMans.

I have a good feeling about this.

Blue Devil against Enhanced Coiled Carbon Mamba.

Will have to hang out on this forum to pick up all the tidbits as the rumor mill grinds fine.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any buzz surrounding Brian Nielander (ME-412, Firepower!) as doing the design of the 2008 Viper?

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they re-hire the designer of the GTS. ( please )I'd be ready to buy a Gen IV.

I kind of thought it was funny when I learned that the head designer for the SRT-10 was hired on from Toyota, up until then I wondered why the Viper had taken sort of a "Japanese" look on (S2000). They need to design the car so it can stand out on it's own like nothing else, just as they did way back in '89. This isn't meant to say that I don't like the Gen 3's, but nothing still says Viper like the Gen 1 and 2's. Where are the Fourfathers?

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all of benz experience with mclaren and F1, and the

big *** viper motor, it is inconcievable that they could

not come up with the most amazing street machine to ever

hit the streets. Did anyone catch the mid-engine viper

concept in VCA Notes. Can you imagine the parts bin DC

has to work with??? Give me access to it I'll build you

one badass car complete with launch control carbon and

everything else that'll git you hard.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just received DODGE, The Magazine. Vol 4, issue 3
This comes from Dodge, via the Dealer's Assn.
"Exclusively for Owners:

Big, Bold, and Ready MEGA CAB on the cover, RED of course.....

Article titled HORSEPOWER, begins p 59, with a story on SRT Track Experience, and SRT-Coupe.

Next article on p 62 is SRT PERFORMANCE featuring new productsand an interview with Mirko Kerschbaum, SRT Product Planning and marketing. { he is well-known to VCA officers.) It features an "All-New CALIBER 5-door sports-tourer, coming soon."

This article features info on the SRT8 6.1L 425HP Hemi.

Please note the punctuation, I am now QUOTING:

"We have the Charger SRT8, Magnum SRT8, RAM SRT10, Viper SRT10 and the SRT4, which will soon be discontinued."

[ Did a comma belong after "Viper SRT10" ? ]

The article features thumbnail pix of CHARGER SRT8; MAGNUM SRT8; RAM SRT-10, and: wait for it: VIPER COUPE SRT8
Maybe it's just a TYPO?

I AM JUST READING THIS STUFF TO YOU...... I bet you have a copy somewhere IF you bought a new Dodge from a Dodge dealer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte