Grundy Insurance-- anyone have it? Like it?

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with Grundy insurance to get a cheaper rate and get a guaranteed value if my car were ever totaled. I've heard that they have a good service reputation but I don't know that first hand from anyone that has it.

If you know anything about this insurance company (GOOD OR BAD) please give me your opinions / experiences!! I'd like to know what I'm getting into if I pull the trigger on this.

Thanks! :usa:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looked at em but i could only drive my car to shows .. couldn't even go for groceries

Angela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you vicj for bring up the subject about grundy insurance. I, too, was thinking about switching the ins. on the viper. We currently have State Farm. Can anyone recommend any reputable insurance companies we can get the viper insured with and not just take it to the "car shows and back"?

Thanks,
Angela

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Grundy. No problems driving the car around. YES, you can stop at a quickie mart and pick up bottled water. YES, you can bring it to a track for non-timed events. Unlimited mileage and you can even drive it for the fun of it whether you're going to a car show or not. The limitation is that it cannot be your daily driver, you need to keep it in a garage but it's OK if you have it parked in a hotel parking lot while you're attending an event. Before I signed with them, I had them respond to about 15 or so questions regarding use. Grundy is not great for daily drivers.

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Grundy. No problems driving the car around. YES, you can stop at a quickie mart and pick up bottled water. YES, you can bring it to a track for non-timed events. Unlimited mileage and you can even drive it for the fun of it whether you're going to a car show or not. The limitation is that it cannot be your daily driver, you need to keep it in a garage but it's OK if you have it parked in a hotel parking lot while you're attending an event. Before I signed with them, I had them respond to about 15 or so questions regarding use. Grundy is not great for daily drivers.
AH thats not to bad then.

OP
OP
V

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My understanding was that mileage is UNLIMITED. The Cost factor is heavily influenced by the "agreed upon" value of the car. I'm hoping that their service is good for claims!!!???

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Grundy on both of mine with agreed value and pay less than $800.00 a year.
Agreed value of 50K and 60K. As Tony said, it's not nearly as strict as the poster above made out, you can go wherever you want on weekends etc, just not a grocery getter or everyday use.
I was paying double with the ****ing Gecko insurance and they didn't offer agreed value.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're over 50 you can go with AARP/Hartford. I have an agreed value policy with unlimited mileage and it's less than $450.00 a year. I would gladly pay triple that if I could be 40 again. :)

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too have Grundy.......I had Hartfor/AARP, but they DO NOY write "agreed value" policies.....make sure you check your policy. My previous Viper (94) was totaled by a mechanic after installing new rotors (Mar. 07), and his company ins. policy was with Farmers (they are a JOKE!) who said they could fix the car for $23K. The car was S/C'd, Belangers, custom interior, custom bumble bee paint, NOS, H2O ****, etc.......and I had (with Grundy) an agreed value of $60K. The hood was gone, the front horns bent, the side sills were taken off the car by the impact with the boulders, the engine was blown along with the supercharger (the mech. went hard from 1st to 2nd and then went back into 1st instead of 3rd, and the back end came around, the engine blew along with the S/C and he went over some boulders into the desert 261 ft. and hit a mequite tree) Farmers said a fix for $23K......not possible!
Grundy adjustor saw the car, totaled it on the spot and within 9 days I had a check in my hand for $60K. They were the very best! Just last saturday on a Viper Club cruise to Sedona,AZ, a rock hit the very edge of the windshield, and within 10 miles there was a crack about 12" long. Called them on monday, and a new windshield has been ordered ($1,175) installed, and they picked up the whole thing, no questions asked! Their service is GREAT, and I recommend them, defintely from personal experience!

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just getting ready to order Grundy insurance for a Viper I am in tghe middle of purchasing but when Grundy sent me the document they wanted me to sign a document indicating the car would not be driven to work, used for errands and will only be used for hobby purposes or exhibitions. This was too subjective for me so I passed.

Were you guys that have Grundy asked to sign this? Did they back off this document if you balked at the deal?

Mike Red 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're over 50 you can go with AARP/Hartford. I have an agreed value policy with unlimited mileage and it's less than $450.00 a year. I would gladly pay triple that if I could be 40 again. :)

I have AARP/Hartford and they do not have agreed value policies. I use them for our daily driving cars and Grundy on my other cars.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With Grundy, you can take your car on a drive, etc.......no one just goes to shows.....the main thing with them is NO DAILY DRIVER. That's where most of the losses come from for insurance companies. You are NOT saddled with driving your car.

DublinOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another option is Haggerty. I've had them for the last two years on fixed value policies for my Viper, Prowler, and prowler trailer. I have not had to file a claim, so I can't comment on that. No daily drivers though..

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest forget what they say and READ what is written. They can say anything but what they have to stand by is whats written.
READ the FINE PRINT.