GTS Drone

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$10 says if you reinstall your intake reverb. canister and dump the smooth tubes that goes away...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone is caused by the exhaust system, not intake. GTS's never had intake canisters and smooth tubes cause no sound change. You may be thinking about the fact that K&N's have a whistling effect at certain throttle positions.

On the exhaust side, if your system is stock and you find the drone annoying, , switch to Corsa. If modified, switch back to stock or Corsa.

OP
OP
D

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I'm running RT high flow cats (3" inlet/outlet) and a 2 1/2" Corsa. Plenty of drone at the lower rpms. I ordered some B quiet ultimate and B quiet V comp for the rear hatch. I was under the car to make sure that the exhaust wasn't touching anywhere but at the mounting points and noticed the rather solid looking rubber mounts. It seems like they could potentially be improved as far a damping goes.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever heard of a Corsa system droning.

Any forum old timers remember a post addressing Corsa drone?

OP
OP
D

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also using the Roe side sill insulation kit. It's a pretty tight fit. It may be adding to the problem.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DJ,
Brown bread/b-quiet works very well. Used full roll for around $175. did the spare tub, roof,doors, under carpet, behind seats, top of gas tank. My car uses RT 2 1/2 and corsa and has no drone. (GTS)

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drone is caused by the exhaust system, not intake. GTS's never had intake canisters and smooth tubes cause no sound change. You may be thinking about the fact that K&N's have a whistling effect at certain throttle positions.

On the exhaust side, if your system is stock and you find the drone annoying, , switch to Corsa. If modified, switch back to stock or Corsa.

my bad, made a difference on mine with the roe high flow cat and borla muffler setup...

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditto with Bruce....has been Corsa's big selling point since day one. I've had the 2 1/2" and 3" Corsa's and they do not drone with or with out H/F cats. 3" is actually a nicer system and with H/F cats has a great sound.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a full Belanger exhaust, headers, cats, and catback and it drones at a certain RPM only. The way to counter was to install different gears making the engine run a little higher and making running in that RPM range a less frequent occurance. It's still loud on extended trips.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen anyone alter the exhaust mounts to compensate for drone, although that would help if done properly. I have seen several people eliminate cabin drone and get a much more pleasing exhaust sound over the entire RPM band by installing a Corsa Cat-back system. I love mine, and it should be one of the very first (if not THE first) mods done to ANY street viper.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got 3" Corsa cat backs and no drone. Had major drone with stock exhaust, difference was like night and day with the 3" Corsa.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIll the gas tank up all the way and keep it like that. An empty tank acts as an amplifier and will cause drone pretty badly.. Give it a try!
G

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess there must be different definitions of "drone", I've had two GTS's with the Corsa 3" catback and both droned much louder than stock; enough to make your fillings rattle.

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got 3" Corsa cat backs and no drone. Had major drone with stock exhaust, difference was like night and day with the 3" Corsa.

Same with my '01 RT/10 replaced with high flow cats and Corsa, drone gone love the way it sounds, I often turn off the stereo just to listen to the exhaust.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No drone at all with Random Tech. cat back X-Pipe. X flow of exhaust gases help cancel out drone. Distributed and sold through PartsRack.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
$10 says if you reinstall your intake reverb. canister and dump the smooth tubes that goes away...

The Year Matters.... For starters, GTS / SRT does not have that cannister.
The Corsa 2.5 was sold from early 97 til mid 2000, when the 3" came out. I had a tech-session w/ Corsa, showing how they fine-tune, in part with an oscilliscope, every baffle and angle inside!. The reflective sound waves cancel certain frequencies, and **** ! Drone and resonance is gone.

Sympathetic Vibrations can travel thruought the car IF something (anything, really)touches the vibrating exhaust. Insulation, hangers, facia exit holes, sill exits, etc etc. In fact, the 92-93 had a TSB on this problem, along with squeeky hangers used to corrcet it.

The GTS hatch back glass is a parabolic reflector of drone back at your ears.
The GTS hatch cargo cover stops a lot of it. So does a full tank of gas, RT or GTS. But the DRIVE HAPPY fix is to add a Corsa.