GTS Fuel Door Corrosion/Erosion?

bjammmin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an issue with a coating on the GTS fuel doors? I recently picked up a '01 GTS ACR with just over 4,000 miles and, although the rest of the car looks amazing, the fuel door looks like the below picture. I'm wondering if it's mis-use by the previous owner, or a common problem. Is it worth removing, polishing down, and re-coating? Or am I going to have to just shell out the $1k for a new one? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gas caps on the GTS' are known to corrode. I don't know if there is a fix for it other than to get it chromed.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's doing the same thing. I think there's a clear coat on it, that is starting to peel off in some areas. When I have a day to spend, I'll probably pull & polish mine (fuel door that is, hee hee).

Those MGW ones look like quality pieces, but are just a tad too blingy for me (and quite costly IMHO).

I've also thought about just chroming my original too, seems like $50-$75 would be a going rate based on my research.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is another solution...which is PERFECT in my mind: http://mgwltd.com/viper_gts_gascap.shtml

That thing is tacky and a waste of 400bucks IMO.

Mine's doing the same thing. I think there's a clear coat on it, that is starting to peel off in some areas. When I have a day to spend, I'll probably pull & polish mine (fuel door that is, hee hee).

Those MGW ones look like quality pieces, but are just a tad too blingy for me (and quite costly IMHO).

I've also thought about just chroming my original too, seems like $50-$75 would be a going rate based on my research.

Right. Its the clearcoat. Once it starts pealing you just have to sand it off completely with a mediumgrit paper like 220/320, Then go up the grits one by one to remove the scratches left by the previous paper: 400, 600wet, 800wet, 1000wet, 1500wet, Then hit is with a compound and Bam! Like new

I think that cap looks good as well if you stop at 800 grit leaving a brushed metal finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_