GUYS I NEED HEL LIKE RIGHT NOW!!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broght my 99 RT in for a large evap leak and the guys tellin me that one of my injectors are failing and thats why is this even possible???

I need to know NOW because he wants me to worder on within 10 minutes??????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what most of that means, but making an immediate decision on what to do with a $50,000+ car based on what the first anonymous internet poster or two says sounds like a bad idea to me.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Large evap leak should be covered under warranty isn't it? Plus, why would you have to make a decision NOW? What would happen if you made the decision tomorrow?

Mark
:)

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well he has the car with the bumper off right now and if i pick it up he has to re charge me to take it off again

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question but did you check your gas cap first? I think that is the most probable large leak.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is saying 3 injectors are shot and that is more then likely the cause of the evap leak.

What would the car be doing if 3 injectors were shot??

All i noticed it doing was at idle it feels rough.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so if i don't get a code for the injectors then you thin they are fine?

Siegel Racing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that an EVAP leak could have anything to do with injectors. Not that I know anything about that dealership, but I have heard of tech's that made WAY wrong suggestions.

Good luck

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A '99 is OBD-II and will tell you which cylinder is bad. Here's a link to the generic codes. (Bottom of page)

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/

You can also pull them yourself with the key-on-off-on-off-on trick.

If you are talking about an air conditioner evaporator leak and the mechanic is telling you it was caused by three bad fuel injectors... well, I hope you drove it out of there as quick as you could.

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i were you i'd get my car outta there...he's up to something..evap codes and engine codes are 2 different things...you would get a missfire code to start out with for the injectors...did it drive there ok??...Len

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So did it throw a code or not?

If it did, see which one and post it.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it drove there perfect, it runs perfect but it idle's rough, yes it through 2 codes 0455 (large leak inthe evap system) and either 1494 (leak detection pump sw or mechanical fault) or 1495 leak detection pump solenoid circuit) I really cant remember which now.

About 4 months ago tho i got code 0505 whcih is idle air control circuits and i cleared it and it never came back.

Now i have 2 questions

1. if my idle air control (IAC) through that code it may be why my car is idleing like it is BUT wouldent the code come back after i cleared it if the problem was on going??

2.if there is ANY problems with the injectors would you get a code for it 100% of the time???? or could it be 3 injectors are really shot and it never through a code??

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the codes you mention are related to evaporative emissions (not a/c). The dealer should have a detection system to smoke out any leak site (literally it creates smoke). They should follow the diagnostic procedures which are written in a straight forward manner. If your mechanic is stating injectors are bad and causing an evap system issue then I believe he needs some retraining. As indicated the most probable source of a large leak is the gas cap. Remove and reinstall it and the code will clear after a couple of good test cycles (note test cycles do not occur every start). The bottom line is the diagnostics are pretty good if they are followed. There was a recent service bulletin outlining the diagnostics for evap system checks.

IAC is also separate but some aspects of purge can impact idle and low speed air flow, but should not impact IAC codes.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not a dealership its a viper tech here in norwalk.

I did try that gas cap thing quite a few times since i have had an evap leak for months now i have filled the car maybe 5 times.

He said he used the smoke and found nothing.

I NOW know the injectors could not effect the evap system but im hoping the injecters are not an alltogether second problem, if the injectors were a problem in any way wouldent i get a code for them??

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question - do you have an aftermarket locking gas cap? Also, the leak detection pump, hoses etc. could be a player. Not sure how an evap issue would impact idle quality. Certainly a stuck open purge valve could do that, but then you should have other codes present.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no aftermarket cap/
I did get a code for the leak detection pump.
Im thinking that the IAC is going bad and thats what my idle issue is

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
STUGOTS- if you IAC goes bad, let me know, I have a spare.

But onto the real subject; NO, an injector will NOT cause those faults. Your faults are related to the LDP, which is up in the front driver corner of 00- cars (rear bumper, right side on 01+) The LDP is a pump that pumps a vacuum into the Evap system, and the resistance of the pumping force is measured. if the pump kicks off, and then back on- and this repeats, it pops a code such as the one you have now. The pump needed to come back on to bring the vacuum up means a leak is present. Since you have multiple codes, one including the EVAP purge soleniod, it is possible it is a mechanical and/or electrical problem with that solenoid, which is causeing the other codes as well. (IE: giving a code for a broken valve, and also a code for an evap leak- one caused the other) the purge soleniod is attached to the LDP unit.

Hope that helped!

PS- TXLEN hit it all on the head...

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that did help thanks alot.

and yes i do need an IAC motor badly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics