Guys Running Motons or Adjustable Suspensions

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, behind the wheel does cause accessibility issues. Is ILLSMOQ's location easily accessibile? What does exposing the cannisters to the elements hurt? I assume by elements you mean rain, dirt, etc...Just curious, If I decide not to get an '08 ACR I'm going to install Motons. Thanks,

Sterling

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have their canisters out in the elements and they are probably fine there...but I would not want to subject them to all the dirt and grime.

With them behind the foglights you can easily adjust the shock setting knob by opening the access door...but adjusting canister pressure would not be possible with out removeing the wheel and actually pulling the canister out of the compartment.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have their canisters out in the elements and they are probably fine there...but I would not want to subject them to all the dirt and grime.

With them behind the foglights you can easily adjust the shock setting knob by opening the access door...but adjusting canister pressure would not be possible with out removeing the wheel and actually pulling the canister out of the compartment.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I second that.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Had mine behind the fog lamp doors, took them out. Too hard to check the Nitrogen pressure.

Now they're in the engine compartment like most others.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick way to deal with cannister heat is to install a 08 hood. the second vent is directly above the cross member where the motons are usually located.

I am working on the affects temperature has on the pressure in the cannister as the engine heats. Problem is the weather in NY is not cooperating.

Last edited:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although admittedly not as convenient as having the Moton canisters located in the engine bay imo it's probably better for optimal performance to have them located in an environment that is not subject to such extreme heat. The wheel wells accomplish this quite well and still do allow just enough access for refilling without removing the tires.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I mounted the Motons on my GTS in the wheel wells. This works very well on this car as I can check them every time I change the tires, bleed the brakes, etc.

No real issues with dirt, car is mostly tracked and not driven in the rain.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I just checked mine last night. The kit is very nice. ILLSMOQ and I went in on it, but i hadnt seen how it worked until last night. We checked my Motons, front were at about 220, but cannisters were warm, from driving to his house. I have mine mounted under hood. The rear, which are mounted in trunk were at about 150.
So we set them all at 200 and i will recheck cold in a couple weeks. Going to watch and see if they lose much pressure over a certain time. I always thought they had 175 from the manufacturer. Ive had these on my car for about 4 months.
Anyways, nice kit, very easy to use.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike keep in mind you will lose roughly 20-25psi from the cannister when testing the pressure since the pressure will fill the long braided hose. So your rears where close to thew 175psi mark.

Did you get your rims setup yet?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
considering pressure loss from the hose, his rears were at around 175 and his fronts were at about 220.

the gauge read 150+- rear and 200+- front ....I thought nitrogen was not supposed to be affected by engine heat......?

...wheels look good Mike:2tu:

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat does affect pressure. If the weather would ever let up in NY, i was going to run some tests.

ILLSMOQ if possible, you can do a simple test for us since you are lucky enough to be in beautiful weather year round. If you have some time, can you:

1. Set your pressure to a given point with the kit
2. Then immediately test to see what the pressure says using just the gauge . This will determine your drop in pressure from filling the hose.
3. refill the pressure to the original pressure.
4. Go for a nice drive and get the engine to temperature (I am jealous)
5. Test the pressure again in the motons

The pressure difference will obviously be the affect the heat has on the pressure. My guess it will be an increase of roughly 18-25psi. Enough to take into consideration when pressurizing but not substantial enough to warrent sticking them in the wheel wells. I will mostlikely dial down my fronts a bit based on these findings.

However I do have another answer - 2008 hood. the Second vent falls directly about the crossmember where the motons are located... Hmmm.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your right Nader on the rears I fogot to factor the loss from hose. We did see a drop of about 20-25psi in the hose. We were playing with it. we would set to 200, then diconnect. then hook it back up and check pressure and it would be down to 180 from the loss in the hose. So we reset back to 200. Its supposed to be nice this weekend. 60's, partly cloudy. I will be out driving, havent driven car in 6 weeks, was waiting for my Iforged wheels. So we will do some tests and report back. Thanks again.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No rims yet? I am looking forward to seeing a copperhead with a rim and tire package.

Have fun this weekend and let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I just saw your post in the other thread. GET PICTURES UP OF THE NEW RIM AND TIRE PACKAGE. It must look amazing.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike I just saw your post in the other thread. GET PICTURES UP OF THE NEW RIM AND TIRE PACKAGE. It must look amazing.

It looks awesome. I keep looking at my camera phone pic I took late last night after I got them on. Im very, very pleased. I went with the Ps2's, so i have the taller rear tire, but I think it looks great. Ill get pics up this weekend after I wash the car. Its got dust from sitting in garage for 6 weeks.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dust? Mike you should be embarassed... haha.

I am looking forward to see the pics.

Also I just finished putting together formal directions for the kit. It is a bit more detailed from my write up on the previous pages. I will be emailing it to all the individuals who purchased the kit in the next few days.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tom. I received the kit yesterday. It is excellent. Thank you for solving the N2/Moton/Viper filling/convenience problem. It is a comfort to have the capability to fill/adjust the level and/or top off the Motons without worrying about how and where to get it done. I do not anticipate using it frequently but it is nice to know it is there when I choose to do so. I also think that, coincidently, the POWERTANK name goes well with a Viper. LOL. I saw the new presentation on the directions. Good job. The only thing you might add is a close up picture of each separate component. ( I know it can be figured out from the POWERTANK brochure that comes with the kit but having a photo of each with an assigned number for each component and then numbers with the arrows would really do the trick. ) When do you think you will have the quick release Moton brackets available? Please have the option to mount under the front wheel wells for the front. By the way, could you add a component/components to the kit that would allow a nitrogen fill of tires? Just a thought. Thank you again for your efforts.

Best,

Bob

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob thanks for the good words. I am glad you are happy with the kit. I am still working on the brackets and have a few ideas in mind. You will definitely hear from me in this regard in the next few weeks.

I can definitely put together fitting to adjust tire pressure but the problem is that tank doesnt hold enough volume to inflate a tire. if you bought a larger seperate tank to fill the small tank, that is a different story.

However in the end, their isnt much benefit to fill tires with Nitrogen.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"However in the end, their isnt much benefit to fill tires with Nitrogen."

Hi Tom. My suggestion was not for me. Good old air is in my tires. But NASCAR and many others sware by the stuff. My guess is that some members use it regularly so the extra fitting would be convenient for them.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received my N2 Race Shock Inflator Kit and have used it without issue. Monitoring the Moton N2 canister pressures is important for peak performance as they do lose some pressure over time.
I like that this kit is compact, refillable, and comes with its own storage case. The components are high quality as well. Glad to have the convenience of the PowerTank kit - thanks Nader.:2tu:

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"However in the end, their isnt much benefit to fill tires with Nitrogen."

Hi Tom. My suggestion was not for me. Good old air is in my tires. But NASCAR and many others sware by the stuff. My guess is that some members use it regularly so the extra fitting would be convenient for them.

Some say nitrogen is more stable when subjected to heat however the heat a street tire will see is not enough to make a worthy difference. The benefit of using nitrogen as compared to "air" is roughly 1-2 psi at full temperature. For racecars however with increased temperatures, a small variation is pressure makes a difference.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received my N2 Race Shock Inflator Kit and have used it without issue. Monitoring the Moton N2 canister pressures is important for peak performance as they do lose some pressure over time.
I like that this kit is compact, refillable, and comes with its own storage case. The components are high quality as well. Glad to have the convenience of the PowerTank kit - thanks Nader.:2tu:

Glad you like it. Man that is an amazing list of mods. how do you like your paxton?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you like it. Man that is an amazing list of mods. how do you like your paxton?

Thanks for the comps Nader ... Frankly, imo the ~200rwhp Paxton is almost a must have for the Viper. The sc setup flat-out works but perhaps what I like most is the overall balance I have been able to achieve with the careful selection of other choice installed mods. For my driving needs the car just rocks. Of course, it is a never ending pursuit to stay in the performance sweet spot so I'm sure there will always be more. Great times we enthusiasts live in for sure.

Viva Viper!:drive:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat does affect pressure. If the weather would ever let up in NY, i was going to run some tests.

ILLSMOQ if possible, you can do a simple test for us since you are lucky enough to be in beautiful weather year round. If you have some time, can you:

1. Set your pressure to a given point with the kit
2. Then immediately test to see what the pressure says using just the gauge . This will determine your drop in pressure from filling the hose.
3. refill the pressure to the original pressure.
4. Go for a nice drive and get the engine to temperature (I am jealous)
5. Test the pressure again in the motons

The pressure difference will obviously be the affect the heat has on the pressure. My guess it will be an increase of roughly 18-25psi. Enough to take into consideration when pressurizing but not substantial enough to warrent sticking them in the wheel wells. I will mostlikely dial down my fronts a bit based on these findings.

However I do have another answer - 2008 hood. the Second vent falls directly about the crossmember where the motons are located... Hmmm.

I think dialing the fronts down might be a good idea if they are mounted in the engine bay to compensate for the heat issue.

We set Mikes at 200 all the way around the other night when the canisters were hot....we should check them when they are cold and see if they read lower.

I set mine to 200 and then went down one click all the way around on compression. The car feels tighter and I get a little less rubbing in the rear ( lowered on 20" PS2's) I like them at 200 myself.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can I get a kit? My motons are getting installed in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys if anyone else is interested, this kit is still available.

You can PM me or call me at 917-520-7337.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen