Have to do my first oil change, any advise?

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done this 500 times with other cars, first time on my 01 viper.

I know you need a high flow oil filter. Is that something you have to get at the dealer? Autozone listed phram PH-16 as the OEM replacement, then a moblie one and some other one... I was not sure so I passed on it. I might order it from parts rack I guess. Anyone have part numbers of decent replacement filters?

I suppose you jack up the front passenger side to get to the oil plug? Going to need something big and flat to catch 10quarts. Is there more than 1 plug? (my saleen had 2)

Also who has the best price on Mobile 1 10W-30? Autozone marked it up to $5.99 a quart? Rip city

Thanks in advance.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First, factory filter is just fine. Second, one drain plug, but the filter will make a bit of a mess on your frame if you're not careful or a big mess if some dumba$$ installed your "999" recall incorrectly.
Last but not least, I would recomend RedLine engine oil. It's simply the best of the best.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the Mobil One filter it is the best. I get the Oil at Wal-Mart as they sell 5-Qt jugs for ~$19. There is only 1 oil plug.

Change away!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just use the Mopar filter - only a buck or so more from a dealer, and is a known good one.

1 plug on the oil pan.

Target carries Mobil-1, normally $4.50-$5.00/quart. I use 15W50.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N makes a nice filter that you can remove with a standard socket wrench. On my '99 the factory frame recall is right at the joint where the the oil filter is. If you have a recall and have had it done and they did it incorrectly you will have a hard time removing the filter. Be warned this has happened to some. Also, make sure you are careful when jacking up the car if you don't use a lift. There are jack points. Use a piece of wood if you can to protect the car. I buy my oil at Wal Mart in the 5 quart jugs. Finally, it should ony take about 8.5-9 quarts. Enjoy!

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did my first oil change. No problems. Just as easy as any other car. I don't know why others have had such an ordeal doing this.

Put a rag on the frame under the oil filter.

Stock Mopar filter. It was good enough for the engineers that originally spec'd it so it's good enough for me now.

Fill your new filter with oil before installing.

25lbs torque on the oil plug.

10-30W is spec'd in the manual. Again, good enough for the engineers...

Get the oil at Walmart. $20 for 5 qts. The 5 qt. jug is handy to put the used stuff back into to dispose of.

I used 2x10's stacked 9" high and staggerred on top of each other 17" apart to build a quick ramp. 17" piece on top of 34" on top of 51" etc. My driveway is sloped so the 9" rise makes it perfectly level.

OP
OP
N

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not been completely under it yet only had the car 2 weeks. Where is the filter and whats the best way to get to it? From the top of the engine or underneath?

Will get the K&N or Mobile one filter they have at autozone Since I cant get to the dealer before they close.

OP
OP
N

Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the stock Mopar filter is part # is 5281090. They are about $6 at the dealer. What confused me is they said they use the same filter for so many cars, Jeeps, etc.

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar filter is gonna be good. They wouldn't have spec'd a piece of crap to protect such a high performance and expensive engine. It's not like they wanted to be rebuilding motors under warranty because of an oil filter failure.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the stock Mopar filter is part # is 5281090. They are about $6 at the dealer. What confused me is they said they use the same filter for so many cars, Jeeps, etc.

This is correct, my 99' Grand Cherokee V8 Limited uses the same filter as my viper. Go figure.. The Viper is a VERY easy car to chnage the oil on.. go for it....

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mopar filter is gonna be good. They wouldn't have spec'd a piece of crap to protect such a high performance and expensive engine. It's not like they wanted to be rebuilding motors under warranty because of an oil filter failure.

did you take this picture for your avatar after changing your oil?? if so check your drain plug. :D

lol :2tu: just kidding it looks like a shadow :eek: (front of drivers front wheel)but do agree with the filter part. they just forget lock tight on gen III :eek:

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get my Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil at Sam's Club, they are always the least expensive in my area. You can check pricing at www.samsclub.com . My friends who race Comp Coupes (<- plural) use and told me to use the standard Dodge filter. Only a buck or two. They are nice enough to do my oil changes (1 in 2 yrs) for me at their race shop. Thaks again Dan !

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be a big help to anyone, but if you cant get to the Dodge dealership in time or something, the same exact oil filter for a Viper is also available at any Mitsubishi dealership! I'm parts manager at a Mitsubishi dealership and Vipers use the same oil filters as 95-99 Eclipses w/the Chrysler 2.0 DOHC engines in them. the part Mitsubishi part # is M05281090. The Dodge part number is 5281090. The M0 in a Mitsubishi part # simply denotes that it is really a Chrysler part.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll need to access the filter from below. The only real access for your filter wrench is weaving through the suspension... it is very tight. See This Thread on filter wrenches.

A side note, once you get the filter off, you'll need to get it out of the nice little cave that Team Viper parked it... it will not come out through the "hole" you accessed it with your wrench. Lay it on the frame and roll it up against the oil pan... slide it toward the back of the car. It WILL fit between the oil pan and the frame (barely).

When putting the new filter in, fill it with oil, but I'd recommend laying it on its side to drain out whatever will come out. Why? Well, sneaking the new filter in is the reverse of taking it out, and if it is full of oil, you'll just pour it onto your frame and make a big mess ;)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Easy job - I use a Mobil 1 filter from Autozone M1-204 $10.99, and two 5 10-30w (green cap) qts from Walmart $22.90/ea.

I'm critized for this, but I jack the front of my car up, pull the plug, let drain overnight, puncture the bottom of the old oil filter while still attached, and let drain. Next morning I plug the pan, remove the filter (now oil-less,) new filter & oil, and go. And I rarely need to wash my hands afterward.