Head Scratcher ... Dodge Can't Help ... Drive Cycle Readiness. Help?

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Evap stuff can take while to set and it has to fail twice to set a light.

Thanks! I'll give it another week of full driving every day. If it doesn't work, it will finally go in to the dealer to take a look at. Appreciate it!

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xrustyx
I was wondering if in your state do you have to have all the "System/OBDII Readiness Test " all done? I know some state like our Wisconsin , will test with just one remaining.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
xrustyx
I was wondering if in your state do you have to have all the "System/OBDII Readiness Test " all done? I know some state like our Wisconsin , will test with just one remaining.

Hey Viper ...

I checked the TN.gov website, and I believe all Systems have to be OKed. I know some states allow 1 or 2 not to work, especially on cars 10+ years old, but as far as I know, and from my research, all of them need to be ready and working.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a DRB scan tool

PCM > System test > LDP monitor. It will run and pass or fail

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viper ...

I checked the TN.gov website, and I believe all Systems have to be OKed. I know some states allow 1 or 2 not to work, especially on cars 10+ years old, but as far as I know, and from my research, all of them need to be ready and working.

xrusty
Thanks for the reply, i was just wondering. good luck, you are almost there.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rusty, I'm not familiar with the issue you are having and don't even know if it's PCM related but I have my stock 03 pcm that you are welcome to install and see if that cures the issue. I'm in Knoxville and can send it to you tomorrow if you promise to send it back when you are done or buy it if it fixes your issue. It's currently in the classifieds for $100. I'm not trying to sell it to you if you don't need it but you are welcome to borrow it for diagnostic testing.
Sal
PM me if you need some help.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you know anyone with a DRB scan tool

PCM > System test > LDP monitor. It will run and pass or fail

Just stopped by the dealership (a buddy of mine works there now)

We ran the DRB Scan tool, and now all systems are "Not Ready" The PCM says it had only been 2 drive cycles since I last connected the battery. I have never unhooked the battery or replaced it for that matter. The weird part, I'm not loosing my radio stations when the PCM/Battery resets itself. It seems to be doing it every day or every other day.

We checked the grounds to the PCM thinking it might be a possible weak/corroded ground. Nope - Everything looks brand new.

xrusty
Thanks for the reply, i was just wondering. good luck, you are almost there.

Appreciate it Viper!

Rusty, I'm not familiar with the issue you are having and don't even know if it's PCM related but I have my stock 03 pcm that you are welcome to install and see if that cures the issue. I'm in Knoxville and can send it to you tomorrow if you promise to send it back when you are done or buy it if it fixes your issue. It's currently in the classifieds for $100. I'm not trying to sell it to you if you don't need it but you are welcome to borrow it for diagnostic testing.
Sal
PM me if you need some help.

I talked to the tech about this (possibly buying a used PCM) but he said, once a VIN is burned in, it can't be undone?

So, if install your PCM, I don't think I'll pass smog unless I can someone burn your VIN in, otherwise, there will be a mismatch when the OBD II is hooked up? Unless, they don't pull VIN Info from the PCM?

I really appreciate the offer Black Moon! I may just take you up on it, i just have to research a bit more.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the tech about this (possibly buying a used PCM) but he said, once a VIN is burned in, it can't be undone?

So, if install your PCM, I don't think I'll pass smog unless I can someone burn your VIN in, otherwise, there will be a mismatch when the OBD II is hooked up? Unless, they don't pull VIN Info from the PCM?

I really appreciate the offer Black Moon! I may just take you up on it, i just have to research a bit more.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about 'burning in'. There are always used pcm's out there for sale. I'm sure it will have to be reflashed regardless. I'd call Chuck 'The Wizzard' Tator. He's the most knowledgeable person out there and is always willing to help. 914-763-3136 You'll learn more talking to him for 10 minutes than everything your Tech knows.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Black Moon ...

I should have finished that thought. He said the only way a fresh VIN can be inserted in to a used PCM is if it utilizes a SKIM key, which the 2003 does not. Then you could fully re-flash everything.

At this point, I don't think its a PCM issue - I think voltage is dropping upon startup (like a couple other posters within this thread) so I will go the new battery route first :)

Appreciate it bud!

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Battery would have been the first change. If its over 3 years change it. Let us know. You are welcome.

That's the weird part ... Battery is 10 months old.

With that said, info from Carfax shows the battery has been replaced about once a year or once every 2 years (I think its had 7/8 total replacements)

I'm assuming 1 of 2 things.

1) Car only had 5000 miles on it in almost 10 years. It wasn't driven much and probably sat without a tender for quite a while. Thus the reason the battery was replaced every summer or thereabouts ...
2) Same issue has always been around ... The batteries continued to be replaced with more Mopar batteries (that's what is in there now) - And I simply just need to move to a better battery. If I can get one to last for 2 years, I'll be happy :)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checking the voltage of the battery dosnt tell you the whole story. At sears/interstate/autozone they should have a battery tester that tests all the specs on a battery. I have em pull it out whenever i purchase a battery as one can have a higher CCA than the next of the same model.

If it ends up being the battery then i suggest keeping a float-charger on the new one as your car and/or driving habits might have been what prematurely killed your 10month old battery.

Good luck

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dom ... Headed to sears here in a bit. Should know the outcome within 24/48 hours.

It was a "New To Me" vehicle. Not sure what sort of driving habits/storing habits were used Prior to my purchase :) I'll only be able to tell what I do :)

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Latest:

Replaced the battery last night. Went with a Diehard Platinum (Size 34) - Brand new from Sears.

Ran through (2) drive cycles today prior to my normal driving. Started the car cold - turned AC on along with rear defroster, and kept the car idling for 10 minutes. Then ran it at 50-55mph for 15-20 miles, let it slow down to 20mph, turned around, and did the exact same thing this time allowing the car to slow entirely down to 2-3mph. I then went about my normal driving habits. I put 110 miles on the car today.

The Results - Readiness Monitors are still resetting. Voltage is dropping to 9.1v upon startup (12.6v prior -- 13.7v during). The weird part - The entire PCM isn't resetting, just the monitors. Radio station's along with trip computer are not resetting.

I'm so tired of this issue ... If I lived in Cali, I'd pay someone to take care of the smog. Don't know anyone here that will pass it for me, so I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did you change the battery you where almost there on the not readys. with the new battery you will have to start from scratch, just drive the car they will clear up unless you do have a problem somewhere.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why did you change the battery you where almost there on the not readys. with the new battery you will have to start from scratch, just drive the car they will clear up unless you do have a problem somewhere.

All but the EVAP were ready on Sunday. Monday, I took the car to our local Dodge Dealership. All monitors were then "INCOMPLETE" Via the DRB, it said the "Battery Changed 2 startups ago". Meaning, the PCM is resetting itself somehow every few startups. In talking with another member that had a similar issue - His would reset at startup because voltage dropped below 10v at startup. Figured, I'd give a new battery a shot first :)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you call Chuck Tator? Dan at VSP would be another good call. You're wasting your time asking us for help. Most of us don't know **** and the rest just claim we do:)

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you call Chuck Tator? Dan at VSP would be another good call. You're wasting your time asking us for help. Most of us don't know **** and the rest just claim we do:)

Haha ... Chuck is on my list for tomorrow. I just hate bothering people like that :)

For Now ... 5 of 7 monitors are "OK"

The (2) that aren't
1) EVAP System
2) Oxygen Sensor Htr?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turned the car over this morning - All systems were INC

So, went back to Dodge about 30 minutes ago ... Was in the midst of a reflash, when we learned the PCM was up to date. Did a bit further digging, and my car has an in service date of 12/2005 which means, MY EMISSIONS ARE STILL UNDER WARRANTY!!!!! LOLOLOL

So ... A new PCM has been ordered!!!!

Another note - I still have 3 months left on the powertrain as well .... SWEEET!

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
crap. I have the same monitors not clearing... was hoping you would be able to figure it out for me! LOL! I bought a die hard today as well.. advanced gold G78-- going to try that next. I HATE to take it to my local dealer- they are idiots. Best dealer place it 2.5 hours away. May end up there.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well that simplifies matters. good luck and enjoy.

Yes it does! :)

crap. I have the same monitors not clearing... was hoping you would be able to figure it out for me! LOL! I bought a die hard today as well.. advanced gold G78-- going to try that next. I HATE to take it to my local dealer- they are idiots. Best dealer place it 2.5 hours away. May end up there.

Yeah, I'd start with the battery. If its not the battery, just keep your fingers crossed its not the PCM itself. If outside the warranty, they are expensive!

I didn't like my local dealer either, and our "ViperTech" wasn't at all helpful. Once I figured out my friend worked on the other side, I just had him test everything for me :)

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very odd that the Readiness keep on getting reset. I wonder if some internal battery/memory storage in the PCM has failed. Either way, hope that dealer**** takes care of the issue.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very odd that the Readiness keep on getting reset. I wonder if some internal battery/memory storage in the PCM has failed. Either way, hope that dealer**** takes care of the issue.

That's what the tech thought. Memory Storage of the PCM. Thanks for your help 345!

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well,

My faith in Dodge/Chrysler is slowly coming to an end.

For months now, we've been *waiting* on a new/refurb PCM for my Viper. Dodge can't seem to find one or care to have one made.

Facts:
1) I'm still under Smog Warranty -- Chrysler said they will replace PCM.
2) 3 Months later -- The PCM *arrival* date keeps getting pushed back. The latest -- Oct 8th was the latest, and it has now been pushed back to Oct 29. Dodge Dealer is skeptical we'll even see it.
3) Customer care is terrible. They really don't care.
4) I've owned the car for over 4 months. I can't drive the vehicle, I can't register the vehicle & I can't title the vehicle.

If I try to trade it in, I can't.

I'm stuck in between Dodge, who I feel will NEVER get me the part and honor their warranty, and the state, who won't let me title & pay tax on the vehicle.

I'm lost as to what I can now do.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, you may need to retain an attorney. Chrysler must, by law, honor that warranty. However, if they can't, does your state offer an exemption? Here in PA, we are excempt under 5000 miles a year, however, it still has to pass the FIRST time it's registered. But, if the emissions issue can't be fixed for some reason, I think some states will exempt the vehicle, if no cure can be found, and you can document it.

Please keep us posted.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Swexlin,

That's what I'm afraid of :(

No, there is no exemption, atleast from talking with the DMV/County Clerk/Smog Check. Been to the county clerks office 3 times. The last time, I begged just to title the car as a non operation vehicle in my name so I could pay tax. Once I get it titled in my name, I can offload it (trade it in) -- I can't trade it in until that point. The clerk told me, to title the vehicle, it must pass smog - period. The sad part is, she only has 6400 total miles now, and is in brand new shape.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Swexlin,

That's what I'm afraid of :(

No, there is no exemption, atleast from talking with the DMV/County Clerk/Smog Check. Been to the county clerks office 3 times. The last time, I begged just to title the car as a non operation vehicle in my name so I could pay tax. Once I get it titled in my name, I can offload it (trade it in) -- I can't trade it in until that point. The clerk told me, to title the vehicle, it must pass smog - period. The sad part is, she only has 6400 total miles now, and is in brand new shape.

An attorney might be able to go back to the selling dealership, and/or put some pressure on Chrysler to get your PCM. Alternatively, you could see if Bill Pemberton or Bernie Katz on here, both with the two biggest Viper dealerships can get it for you. They have alot of pull that your smaller dealer might not have. If Bill or Bernie can't get it, then it can't be had.

This is what makes me nervous for ALL cars that we may have for many years. In 20 years, if your PCM goes on any vehicle (not just a Viper), will we be able to get new ones? If not, we'll now be the owner's of a very nice garage ornament. Somthing to think about for the "collector cars" of the future.

OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You bring up an interesting point.

According to Dodge - There are no 2003 PCM's anywhere. They don't even have refurbs, and they have never fully answered my question as to how I"ll get a new one? The problem with calling these dealers is, they will likely have to do the warranty work. My PCM issue is STILL Under warranty because the car didn't get an in service date until late 2005.

PCM/ECU Cars certainly aren't like the collectors car's of old ... This is certainly a worry :)