Head Scratcher ... Dodge Can't Help ... Drive Cycle Readiness. Help?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am having similar issues with an 06 coupe I just bought, had 3 sensors "not ready" o2, o2 heater and evap. The o2 is ready now after a few drives but the os heater and
evap still show not ready, I have full Belanger with rear o2 sims so it sounds like the os heat will never show ready. In Utah they will pass with one not ready so I need to get
the evap ready, will try the idle for longer than a few minutes.

Herc

O2 Sims will not ever allow the heaters to pass. Evap will not run until Heater passes.

Starting with O2 and Catalyst already passed from Sims...
-Allow the car to cool overnight stone cold.
-KEY MUST BE OFF.
-Remove Sims, and install downstream O2's, allow them to dangle.
-Start car. Allow to idle until full operating temp is reached. [Should pass heater]
-Bring idle to 1500ish, and hold for about 2 minutes. [Should pass EVAP]
-Turn off car, remove key.
-DO NOT TOUCH IGNITION for at least 15 minutes.
-Plug in a scanner, and check if monitors are all passed.
-If at least heater monitor is passed, swap back to the sims with the key off- EVAP will run later if not.
-Heater monitor will remain passed for a few hundred miles, as long as a CEL is not set.
-Get inspected ASAP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And I can get you a proper working code on an SCT device to reflash ANY of them in less than 10 minutes, and test this theory. I am betting there is still more than meets the eye, but its not impossible.

That's great ... But I got them free under warranty -- Having them flashed via a 3rd party, wouldn't be on a free replacement PCM. It very well likely could be on my current, possibly, bad PCM. I would then have to purchase something that otherwise would be covered under warranty.

For what its worth; If you want your car fixed, ask businesses who specialize in Vipers. If you want the run-around and a nice garage ornament, keep dealing with the dealership on this one. Most dealerships do not have the knowledge or resources to solve something like this, and even fewer have knowledge of the aftermarket offerings and solutions.

For what its worth, if the vehicle was NOT still under warranty, a business who specializes in Vipers would have been called. But because its still under warranty, I figured I'd go that route.

You have been dealing with this issue since June- how much is driving your car worth to you? I can gaurantee I could have solved this issue, parts ordering, all-in... in less than a week, without poking, proding, waiting, and guessing.

You very likely could Dan, and had I forseen this issue taking this long 6 months ago, I likely wouldn't have given you a call. Unfortunately, I hadn't, and I decided to give Dodge the benefit of the doubt and keep my fingers crossed it could get done in a timely manner.

Am I pissed its taking this long? Absolutely! Am I pissed it sits in my garage and can't be driven? Sure. But, I decided to go the Warranty Route instead of the Aftermarket route.

I realize you specialize in Vipers Dan. You must also understand that if my vehicle is still warrantied, I'll take that route first & foremost as most people will on their vehicles, over spending money on a 3rd part to correct a "stock" issue.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan, Ill give that a try.

O2 Sims will not ever allow the heaters to pass. Evap will not run until Heater passes.

Starting with O2 and Catalyst already passed from Sims...
-Allow the car to cool overnight stone cold.
-KEY MUST BE OFF.
-Remove Sims, and install downstream O2's, allow them to dangle.
-Start car. Allow to idle until full operating temp is reached. [Should pass heater]
-Bring idle to 1500ish, and hold for about 2 minutes. [Should pass EVAP]
-Turn off car, remove key.
-DO NOT TOUCH IGNITION for at least 15 minutes.
-Plug in a scanner, and check if monitors are all passed.
-If at least heater monitor is passed, swap back to the sims with the key off- EVAP will run later if not.
-Heater monitor will remain passed for a few hundred miles, as long as a CEL is not set.
-Get inspected ASAP.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they put the computers in did you get the codes the CEL light set. Monitors can will not set if a coolant temp is wrong. IE cooler thermostat, voltage drops below 11 volts. We have had monitors reset on Carvan if the OBDII connector plugged in with key in on position.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One issue I have found on 2 2003 Vipers recently that failed smog was excessive voltage drop in the cranking circuit. The battery ground needed to be cleaned and tightened. The high resistance would cause the computer to "reset" everytime the car was started.

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering if this issue was ever resolved and what was the resolution 9yrs ago?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235