Headers and Exhaust. Worth it???

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I do a header and a full exhaust, other than the increased sound (which Im looking for) is it worth it?? And just to be clear, looking at the economy headers JonB sells and a Borla 3".

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An exhaust system only flows as good as its weakest link, So what that means is, if you have a free flowing system that will lower your back pressure and still have the stock cats the system will only flow as much as the stock cat will flow even though in front and in back of the cat has been opened up. so make sure you off the cats and yes there is a big gain in power.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other thing, with out the cats the car is transformed runs cool, side sills are cool to the touch, best thing I did to the car.

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An exhaust system only flows as good as its weakest link, So what that means is, if you have a free flowing system that will lower your back pressure and still have the stock cats the system will only flow as much as the stock cat will flow even though in front and in back of the cat has been opened up. so make sure you off the cats and yes there is a big gain in power.

cats are long gone.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car will be a little louder. I could feel a little more power. Is it a mega-lot? No but every little bit helps...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year Viper?
What is your current exhaust setup?
What do you think about the overall sound quality of the current setup?
What do you think about the overal sound level(loudness) of the current setup?

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year Viper?
What is your current exhaust setup?
What do you think about the overall sound quality of the current setup?
What do you think about the overal sound level(loudness) of the current setup?
stock with cat deletes
too quiet
too quiet..

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had headers and exhaust decatted on my previous 94 RT/10, and I can assure you the performance was much better than my current stock 93.
Exhaust upgrade makes a huge difference on this monster breathing engine!

Silver GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a Cat Back muffler delete with a X pipe that was designed by Jon B from Parts Rack. The system was a little over $500 and you can purchase the high flow cats at a later date, I love the new rumble and the additional power and I didn't have to spend 2 K for it I highly recommend this system.

Titan1969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed M&M headers with cobrapack mufflers on my RT10. It is very loud at 3500+ rpm but nice and mellow sounding below that. It may have added 15-20 hp if I had to guess, not dramatic but it dropped the side sill temps considerably and I like the sound. All in I paid around $1,500 and installed the headers myself over a few weekends. Fit and finish on the M&M was excellent and thick flanges.

Heres a video that helped me decide.

http://youtu.be/p6plghgsJcg

Stuntman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll sell you my rear muffler deletes (straight pipes) for cheap. Without cats it will be pretty loud but not scream obnoxiously. Headers will give you some power (usually <10whp) and make the car a lot louder, but a cat-back exhaust will probably free up as much power as the headers or more. Personally I would change the exhaust first and then go to headers if you want even more sound and a slight bump in power.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any car can rock a set of headers it is the Viper.

Sound is much more intense, revs come easier, snarled are significant. These cars love headers.

With your cats gone, things are gonna be just a bit nastier. The sound is an acquired taste, but for most Viper types it is music to their ears.

On the other side, it is not unusual for a loud car, that is spectacular in the beginning to become annoying after a while. You could always put your cats back in later if that becomes an issue, or ask Jon about reversion cones that can be installed to knock off some of the higher frequencies and make cruising more pleasant.

Sometimes adding headers is just enough torque increase to cause traction issues. Even more fun.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly what you're interested in, I have Belangers, RT cats, Corsa and an SCT.
Not what you're looking for I know; however, I did a lot of research to include talking to a lot of folks and listening to their set up.
For me, nothing sounds better. Only loud at WOT, otherwise, a very nice rumble.
Good luck.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
To kill a lot of drone, installing an H-pipe in the rear in front of the rear mufflers. A lot of systems only have 2 mufflers(one in each side sill). On those systems you can add some Ultraflows or Spiral mufflers in the back and put the H-pipe in. Makes any system sound tons better, unless you just like it obnoxiously loud.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the more displacement an engine has and if its n/a the more gains you will see from a properly tuned exhaust. with the large motors these cars have they will benefit more from exhaust work than most other cars. so yes, get those headers on there haha

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have headers, but the magnaflow catback has a pretty bad drone at highway speeds. I find cracking the windows helps a lot to get rid of it. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cats, but I remember how bad my mustang smelled without them...this would for sure be worse/

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I dont have headers, but the magnaflow catback has a pretty bad drone at highway speeds. I find cracking the windows helps a lot to get rid of it. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cats, but I remember how bad my mustang smelled without them...this would for sure be worse/

Does the MF setup have any mufflers in the rear? Not familiar with it. If not, try putting some Spirals in with a H-pipe just in front. Should kill a majority of your drone.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I have RandomTek Exhaust with hi flow cats (emissions required here) and B&B headers. Added 20-30 HP. Mine is 439 RWHP now (490 RWTRQ). Guessing it was around 410-415 hp stock. These were done before I bought the car but I think the cost was around $2K. I think it was worth it as I love the sound and love to brag about the numbers.

OP
OP
D

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I have RandomTek Exhaust with hi flow cats (emissions required here) and B&B headers. Added 20-30 HP. Mine is 439 RWHP now (490 RWTRQ). Guessing it was around 410-415 hp stock. These were done before I bought the car but I think the cost was around $2K. I think it was worth it as I love the sound and love to brag about the numbers.

Interesting, my dyno numbers were 439/490 bone stock..Wondering what I would see with the exhaust mods. Since then I have done K&N air filters, smooth tubes and cat deletes and SCT tuner with a cookie cutter tune. Wonder what I would see now?

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, my dyno numbers were 439/490 bone stock..Wondering what I would see with the exhaust mods. Since then I have done K&N air filters, smooth tubes and cat deletes and SCT tuner with a cookie cutter tune. Wonder what I would see now?

More, don't sweat the Dyno numbers unless they were done back to back on the same Dyno, too many variables for what is just a tuning tool. Keep track of the difference more than anything. Just remember that everything is a package, so the more air you are getting into the motor, the more it will respond to how well you let it get out of the motor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saramartin90