Heads up: Possible Scam

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may know that I have my Viper STO/ST1 race car for sale.

Well, received an email about a week ago asking questions about the car:

To: wrpinvest <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, Dec 21, 2011 9:09 am
Subject: STO Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe $65,000
Hello

Complement of the day.I'm writing regarding your placed ad,as i will like you to e-mail me the full detail,present condition(current photo if available),and please do get back to me with your final asking price and also let me know if you still have it available for sale

Funny “sounding” email, to say the least. But not “knowing” anything, only suspecting something, I replied in this manner:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM, David Pintaric <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes the car is still for sale.

Prepped and ready to go racing, as I am traveling to Sebring the first weekend of January for an SCCA double National.

I have pictures on my "home" PC (I am at work right now).
From my ad:

2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe (Suitable for SCCA STO/NASA ST1/NARRA USGT-U)
2010 SCCA STO Run Offs Champion, 2011 SCCA STO Run Offs Runner Up, 2011 NASA ST1 Champion

Gen IV ACR-X aero package & Gen IV hood.

Build and maintained by Kryderacing, Inc. in early 2010. Mark McMahan roll cage (one of the best in the business) that ties front and rear suspension in to cage. OMP Pista “halo”-style seat; 10-lb fire suppression system. Schroth FIA 6-point HANS compatible harness.

8.3 liter Gen III motor by JZB Engines. 11.75:1 compression, Diamond forged pistons, K1 H-beam forged connecting rods, JM Stage III cylinder heads, B&B headers, Gen IV oil pan and swinging pick-up. Custom 4 ½” right side exiting exhaust.

Tilton triple disc 7.5” metallic clutch, Tremec T6060 transmission upgraded by Rockland Standard Gear with CF syncros & micro polished gears (.80 5th); B&M Shifter; 3.73 rear gears (REMed) with Quaife differential.

Forgeline 18x11” front and 18x13” wheels GA3R wheels (silver center/polished outer).

Custom-built adjustable sway bars (rear are cockpit adjustable); Spherical rod end a-arms; Moton custom-valved triple-adjustable shocks;
Baer 2-piece rotors with Carbotech front and rear brakes, extensive custom built brake ducting.

Lap times: Watkins Glen (July 2010) 2:00.342 (track record with stock motor); Mid Ohio (club): 1:33.900; Nelson Ledges (July 2011) 1:07.800; Road America (September 2011) 2:15.246; Mid Ohio (pro) (September 2011): 1:28; Beaverun: (July 2011) 58.9, Daytona 1:52.9 (October 2011).

Asking price: $65,000.00. Spares package available (including motor, trans, rear axle, body parts, wheels, brakes, rotors.) at extra cost.

I know people think a posted price is a starting point for negotiations, but I am pretty firm at this amount. The car is arguable the best STO/ST1 car in the country, and very well prepared.

Let me know if you have further interest. As I said, it is ready to go racing right now.

Thank you,
His response:

To: David Pintaric <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Dec 27, 2011 11:46 am
Subject: Re: STO Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe $65,000
Hello

Could you email me with the pictures for further proceedings

Thanks
Adam

Hmmm, OK, so I sent 4-5 pictures.

Another response:

-----Original Message-----
To: David Pintaric <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, Dec 28, 2011 2:24 am
Subject: Re: STO Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe $65,000
Hello

Thanks for emailing me pictures of it as i do have few question for you ? Are you the original owner of the car ? If not How long have you had it and How long have you used it? Lastly why are you selling it and What would your final bottom price as of today ?

Please let me know

Thanks
Adam

So far, nothing too out of the ordinary. The final (or last) email says this:

Hello

Thanks for getting back to me. I will offer you $63,000 for it and i will like to inform you that i will be having our local transporters to come to your location for a test drive process on the boat and moreover I will have to make a down payment to you so as to make you reserve the boat for me for not getting it sold to other interested buyer's till the test drive and the sale will be done as it would take time to get all of that done

I will make a down payment of $4000 and also I will include the test drive fees which will cost for $3000 and mind you I want the payment made out to you by check and also as soon as the funds of $7000 have been cleared into your account I will like you to have the boat ready for the test drive process and also you will make the remaining funds of $3000 payable to the transporters to cover for the inspection/test drive fees and all other expenses during inspection

I will be looking forward for proceedings to you and also get back to me with the full names, mailing address and phone number the check can be made payable to you

I will be looking forward to hear from you

Regards
Adam

I replied “no.” This sure looks like a scam. I just don’t know what approach they would use, ie how would I be scammed?

I did check the person's name, and found someone by that name in Pittsburgh (about an hour from me). He even has a Facebook account.

Just thought I’d pass it on…

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i say he has his scam mail all messed up. i would disreguard that bozo, and if he is real, he will contact you again

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I have always noticed about these scams is that you can't get them on the phone. They won't talk to you.

Personnally, if I am going to buy something like this I want to talk to the seller. The scam artists seem to never call and talk.

If you really want to see where this goes force the issue by asking for a phone number.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to scam so many people he got you mixed up with the guy that owns the boat that he is scamming.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, first note to you was certainly from a scam artist. Do you think someone looking or a viper would speak like that? If you post a car on-line, long enought, you'll find a scammer coming your way. do yourself a favor and send a note telling then to f-off and save future agrivation. They aren't going to buy your viper. Good luck oon the sale, wish I had the rooom and the extra $'s. Mike

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a scam, when I was selling my 1961 Devin Roadster on ebay I received something similar. The guy worked on a Oil Rig out in the ocean and had limited use of the phone or computer and could only contact me when it came available. Also asked for pictures of the "ITEM"....Normally the guys are just fishing and are trying to rip you off one way or another. When they don't mention what the "ITEM" is in their emails, just drop it and don't reply. The guy that contacted me said he wanted to buy the "ITEM" for his son's birthday...yes a 45K dollar toy right, and he will take care of the shipping expenses....Craigslist always has scamers as well, so I only ask for a cash payment and that takes care of anyone wanting to scam you. Good luck!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds pretty gooffy!
No test drive for him unless you or a local deputy sheriff is in the passenger seat!

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely A Scam!!!!!!!! Don't waste your time even replying. Block that email address immediately! Been their many times with my Ebay Sales Business.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell the buyer the deposit is non-refundable. Get the check and cash it. When the test driver comes, if the funds clear, give him the $3,000. When they try and give you a check for the car or whatever the final scam is, close your garage and tell them you'll call when the check clears. You just made $4,000.

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So that is the scam then.... they pay you a check for 7k get your confidence, get 3k back from you and write you another check which will be bad/fake and take off with your car for 4K.
Mean while by the time you find out the check bounced, by the way he talks in email, the car is long gone overseas... nice

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guaranteed a scam. I bet the 1st check bounces as well and you've lost the 3k. always, always get cash. I've seen plenty of these with every car I've sold on the internet. Fake bank drafts are a big issue. Make sure you write a bill of sale that specifies that any payment must CLEAR prior to delivery of the vehicle. Then hold your car for a couple weeks. You can use an escrow service and keep your banking info private which is a lot of times a good idea.

Another popular twist is I'm a long way away, I'll send you a check for the transport but it's more than the actual cost so you cash it and give the driver the balance. Then you're out the car and the "balance" ...

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that is the scam then.... they pay you a check for 7k get your confidence, get 3k back from you and write you another check which will be bad/fake and take off with your car for 4K.
Mean while by the time you find out the check bounced, by the way he talks in email, the car is long gone overseas... nice

Exactly right!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the first indicator of a scam ? The first 4 words. Complement of the day.

If the scammers ever learn to write in American colloquial English, that will make it a little more difficult to recognize the scam. One might have to read an extra 3 or 4 sentences. Seriously though, there are still plenty of folks that do not know the signs of modern internet scams, so, always beware.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty standard scam. He sends you a check for $7k (from a bank that doesn't have a local branch, no doubt) for you to deposit. The funds show up in your account and you think the check has cleared after a couple of days. You write the "test driver/shippers" a check for $3k, and keep $4k in the bank as his deposit.

Best case scenario: This is a simple scam and you mail the $3k check to someone. You never hear anything else from the buyer. About 2-3 weeks later, your bank informs you that the $7k check was no good, and deducts it from your bank account. Your $3k check you wrote is already cashed. You just gave away $3k.

Worst case scenario: This is a more complex scam. Professional looking people actually show up and you give them the $3k check in person. You then get a check from the buyer for the balance (again you deposit it and assume the funds have cleared after a few days). You get the same call as above about BOTH checks you deposited. You just gave away $3k AND your car.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe this scam is a standard response to just about all e-bay ads. In other words, everyone gets at least one of these.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry. I'm gonna buy the car as soon as my Nigerian money comes through.

bluegrassvet1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure this same guy has just inherited millions of dollars in overseas money and needs to deposit it in your bank account to get it into the states and is willing to split it with you If you would be so kind as to give him your bank account information......

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
do people really fall for this stuff???

I met a girl at the gym who was obsessed with mini coopers. She found an awesome deal on CL in a neighboring state (PA). The guy asked her to Western Union half of the money (5K) and he would drive the car down to her. The next day that ad was gone along with her 5K... She was also blonde and very attractive.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I have always noticed about these scams is that you can't get them on the phone. They won't talk to you.

Personnally, if I am going to buy something like this I want to talk to the seller. The scam artists seem to never call and talk.

If you really want to see where this goes force the issue by asking for a phone number.
BAM, NI-KA you hit it on the head. Thats ALWAYS been my experience too, you can NEVER get them on the phone. Also, the spelling is usually a dead giveaway! jmo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave