Heater core gone

HYPRVYPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need some advice. I've got an '02 GTS in pristine condition. I bought it new and it's always been garaged and never hit. Recently I noticed a skunky odor in the car and my windshield started to fog up. I couldn't even consider the possibility that the heater core was done since the car has <u>9800 miles on it</u> . Today as I pulled out of the garage half a quart of brown water poured out from under the passenger side of the dash. I pulled the cover and sure enough - my heater core looks like rusty swiss cheese.

Now for the question - what are my chances of getting Dodge to cover this as a warranty repair in light of the mileage? I'm looking to buy an '08 vert and since I went on Dodge's website, the internet sales rep at my local dealer (where I actually bought this car) has been calling me relentlessly.

I've never seen a heater core go with that kind of mileage and I AM PISSED :evilmad: . Help me out here guys.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to see if the factory fill antifreeze was listed as 5 year/150,000 mile pink or orange stuff and hope you are within the 5 year window.

Brown sounds suspicious in any case (including to the dealer) since the heater core isn't iron. Neither is the block... or the radiator... Might want to see what caused the "brown" before you push too many buttons.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your problem...and I really have no answer...BUT, I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

What type of coolant is in the car now?

Do you know when the coolant was last changed ?

Do you frequently cycle the water valve while driving...even in the summer?

Is the overflow bottle in the nose and the pressure bottle in the engine bay at the correct levels at the present time?

Have you/can you measure the coolant mixture ratio?

It would also be interesting to know the ph of your coolant (using the strips appropriate to your coolant type).

As an aside, so far I have not had this trouble on a 95, 96, 97, 99, 01, or 03...but I do change coolant MORE frequently than recommended.

You might want to consult with Chuck Tator ( 1-914-763-3136) before you do anything...I'm sure that he can help you...maybe more than you might guess !!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way...YOUR factory fill should have been Mopar's 3 year Coolant Formula (which happens to be green).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all feel your pain. Did you buy the car used? Do you know the maintenance history on the coolant and the engine?

vipergts1960

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be curiuous to see if there has been a problem with the 02's. Last night while driving my 02 GTS, I smelled coolant. Upon inspection we found anti-freeze on the top of the heater core compartment under the hood. It was nice and green. My car is in pristine condition and only has 11k miles on it. I was very surprised to say the least. I am anticipating this being covered under my extended warranty. Good luck with yours.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coolant dyed green uses silicate inhibitors. They protect surfaces from rust by coating the metal parts. It's quick, but a "dumb" system since it coats things whether it needs it not, there is no "reserve" to combat a secondary occurance of corrosion, and in a short time it comes off (not too dependent upon engine use, either). What comes off is abrasive and wears water pump seals.

Long life coolant is very low or no silicate. Additive stays in the coolant until imminent corrosion, then only passivates that site. Because it's "smart" it isn't used up right away, lasting 5 years/150,000 miles, and has no harmful aging effects.

This is a picture simply of green coolant heated in a coffee *** at 160F for 48 hours. The silicate has already come out of solution looking for metal because it can't stick to the glass. These jell-balls are what later harm pump seals and leave surfaces unprotected.

You must be registered for see images attach

The 2-3 year life of green coolant is a maximum. Having seen the fleet test data for long-life coolant, I see the 5 year recommendation as only a minimum. GM switched right away and made it factory fill; unfortunately some OEMs delayed because they wanted to come up with their own version.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
vipergst1960...chech your water valve hoses and clamps(hoses tend to creep off of the water valve)...have also seen a couple of the 01-02 water valves leak themselves... both of these things are easy fixes.

vipergts1960

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hoses and clamps looked fine, but it could possibly be the valve on top of the heater core housing under the hood. It was night time so the inspection was done with a flash light. It was a shorter distance to drive it straight to the Dodge dealer and put it inside than to drive it home. The engine tempature reached 225 degrees for a very short time. Hopefully, it will be covered by my extended warranty. Thanks for your input. I am hoping for any needed parts to be available to I don't have to be without my car for more than a couple of days.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....Now for the question - what are my chances of getting Dodge to cover this as a warranty repair in light of the mileage? ......

In my opinion: Zip; Zilch; Nada....under the OE warrantee.

UNLESS YOU HAVE THE EXTENDED MAX-CARE WARRANTEE....then "probably"

vipergts1960

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tech pressure tested my radiator cap and it failed at 8 lbs. Fortunately he had one in stock. The heater core looked fine upon visual inspection, but the overflow?(behind the grommet in front of the right fron wheel)is empty and the resevoir in front of the heater core housing is full. He didn't bring the engine up to tempature as of 4PM today. My car kind of got thrown on him on short notice. He said if it were simple to change the thermostat he would change it just to eliminate it. I think he will have it figured out tomorrow since he will have more time to dedicate to it. He may try and call Chuck Tator to get his input. Your input in appreciated; I am not a very mechanically inclined.

Reaction score
John (vipergts1960)....I'm betting, since it was ONTOP of the heater core area and near that valve....you have a leaking hose (are those clamps, on the two hoses coming into the valve, the STOCK clamps??). If Clint gets a chance to pressurize the entire system with a pump tomorrow..I bet he finds it/them. With the "secret" resevoir EMPTY, and that little leak (I say little because you smelled it...but didn't say there was a puddle under the car, that makes it "little" in my book)....the temp would have gone up. If you get it back (or Clint can do it)....we find the leak (doubtful YOURS is heater core....but I could be wrong!!), fill the "secret" tank and BURP that bad boy, and again....and again....till there ain't no more air left. :)