Hellcat in viper

Bubba 2.9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope to God not. It's just my opinion and I know it means nothing on this forum. It's like putting DDD's on a petite Asian woman. There'd be a lot of ooo's and aaah's but at the end of the day, they just don't go together. They need to figure something else out. I have a 2014 GT500 with 740 at the wheels, and who gives a crap? No one. If they're going to give the Viper more juice it needs to be done in a way that fits with the Viper tradition. Flame away, I'm old school. JD

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they need more hp than the current platform can muster, I would rather they go dohc and na than supercharger. A big high revving dohc v10 would be awesome.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't fit; too wide. :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh: :bdh:
I'd like to see what they could do with FI and the V-10 though... we all know what a little boost can do to these massive engines;{).

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather see them build a whole new car to put a V8 in than offer it as an option in the Viper. Basically the Firepower concept of previous years. It could be a Viper chassis and suspension, but a different body and drivetrain. Anyone in the know would know it was basically a V8 Viper, but it wouldn't "dilute" the Viper DNA so to speak.

OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We know that it will not fit currently.....but who says they cannot change the chassis ?

You go from a custom made engine for the viper to a mass produced engine....I am not advocating this but you can see what Fiat may be thinking. Cheaper and lighter.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, this is circulating everywhere, if they do this then Ralph is going to look pretty dumb, since he's officially stated it wont happen due to fitment & the V10 is the only engine to fit the viper.

Not that I'd mind, I know some think the V10 defines the viper, but I don't care about cylinder count, prove to me it's faster on track & street and I'll buy it, at least we'd finally get a great sound out of the viper. lol

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for change in certain areas of the Viper such as: CCB's, DCT, aluminum chassis, titanium exhaust etc. but one thing I'd never want to see go is a V10 big cube engine. Porsche 911 TT's are always flat 6's, Ferrari and Aston top offering are always V12's and top level Lambos are always V12's. It's what defines these great Marques top offerings. Let's see what happens if they put a TT V6 in an Aventador?I may be in the minority on this aspect of Viperness but to me if the Viper loses its V10 heart for one with less valves and less lung capacity then it loses a bit of its specialness. If you bring this same V10 in a Viper much lighter aluminum chassis and the added tech I mentioned above there would not be a car in its class currently that would mess with it IMHO.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather see them build a whole new car to put a V8 in than offer it as an option in the Viper. Basically the Firepower concept of previous years. It could be a Viper chassis and suspension, but a different body and drivetrain. Anyone in the know would know it was basically a V8 Viper, but it wouldn't "dilute" the Viper DNA so to speak.

This. Any other argument is preposterous. Otherwise it would better for the Viper to die an honorable death, than turn into a *****.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the V10 is a great engine, to me it by in no way defines the Viper.

Top notch performance does. If a better engine design is out there, use it. End of story.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the V10 is a great engine, to me it by in no way defines the Viper.

Top notch performance does. If a better engine design is out there, use it. End of story.

Me too, I think the legacy & DNA of the viper is that it beats the snot out of other cars at the track, if another engine accomplishes that even more so, then sign me up. I find it kind of funny that guys lock in on the cylinder count as what makes the viper a viper. IMHO, performance makes it a viper.

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for change in certain areas of the Viper such as: CCB's, DCT, aluminum chassis, titanium exhaust etc. but one thing I'd never want to see go is a V10 big cube engine. Porsche 911 TT's are always flat 6's, Ferrari and Aston top offering are always V12's and top level Lambos are always V12's. It's what defines these great Marques top offerings. Let's see what happens if they put a TT V6 in an Aventador?I may be in the minority on this aspect of Viperness but to me if the Viper loses its V10 heart for one with less valves and less lung capacity then it loses a bit of its specialness. If you bring this same V10 in a Viper much lighter aluminum chassis and the added tech I mentioned above there would not be a car in its class currently that would mess with it IMHO.

Agree!!! Put the new engine in a different car/chassis & label it something else. Let the beloved V10 remain in the viper or let it molt its final epidermal layer & slither off into automotive hissstory!!! :D

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This, and don't call it a Viper. If the Viper name needs retiring, so be it, but a new 2-seater with DCT and the Hellcat at 700 hp would be awesome, and world class.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was just about to post something similar. The V10 and Viper name are linked just the like 911 and flat-6.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur with Texas and Swexlin. I respect the opinions that the Viper doesn't need a V10 etc but honestly how would It be Viper DNA without a V10. That V10 is part of what made the Viper iconic just as the V12 etc in others as I mentioned above.

Why not a higher tech V10 then that can spin to 7-7.5k rpm instead of a V8? What would a 911 be with a flat 4 instead of the flat 6 etc? A Subaru STI. To me there is already a car with V8 that goes around corners about as fast as the Viper. Its a Corvette. I have nothing but respect for the Vette but its not as special as the Viper imho because of certain iconic, albeit quirky aspects of the Viper, with the V10 being one of them. Change will happen regardless of our collective opinions on either side of this subject but if I had it my way Id just add tech around and in that iconic V10 and keep the Viper DNA strand intact. No gene splicing with a V8. Its a Viper not a Chimera hehe. We really haven't seen what the Viper is capable of with DCT, DI, CCB's, Trofeo's and lighter weight. I would literally cry if they abandon this platform prematurely before perfecting it.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It's amazing that in all this performance discussion there is no mention of the much better performance that a dual clutch auto provides. Even the Viper race cars are dual clutch autos as well as all F1 cars and Porsche GT3 cars among others. In terms of raising the V10 performance, why not capitalize on the engineering already done with all the twin turbo cars that our members have. SRT need only call Hennessy or Hefner for install info, or have SRT outsource to those guys like SRT does for the Viper paint process. I know that a dual clutch auto is blasphemy on this site, however I personally think that there are some lost Viper sales due to the lack of this option. Go ahead and blast me now---Dave

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave

I could be wrong, but, all those turbo cars are 2 speed autos.

It's amazing that in all this performance discussion there is no mention of the much better performance that a dual clutch auto provides. Even the Viper race cars are dual clutch autos as well as all F1 cars and Porsche GT3 cars among others. In terms of raising the V10 performance, why not capitalize on the engineering already done with all the twin turbo cars that our members have. SRT need only call Hennessy or Hefner for install info, or have SRT outsource to those guys like SRT does for the Viper paint process. I know that a dual clutch auto is blasphemy on this site, however I personally think that there are some lost Viper sales due to the lack of this option. Go ahead and blast me now---Dave

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your second last sentence makes too much sense for this thread. The moderator should delete it.

I concur with Texas and Swexlin. I respect the opinions that the Viper doesn't need a V10 etc but honestly how would It be Viper DNA without a V10. That V10 is part of what made the Viper iconic just as the V12 etc in others as I mentioned above.

Why not a higher tech V10 then that can spin to 7-7.5k rpm instead of a V8? What would a 911 be with a flat 4 instead of the flat 6 etc? A Subaru STI. To me there is already a car with V8 that goes around corners about as fast as the Viper. Its a Corvette. I have nothing but respect for the Vette but its not as special as the Viper imho because of certain iconic, albeit quirky aspects of the Viper, with the V10 being one of them. Change will happen regardless of our collective opinions on either side of this subject but if I had it my way Id just add tech around and in that iconic V10 and keep the Viper DNA strand intact. No gene splicing with a V8. Its a Viper not a Chimera hehe. We really haven't seen what the Viper is capable of with DCT, DI, CCB's, Trofeo's and lighter weight. I would literally cry if they abandon this platform prematurely before perfecting it.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After owning 3 Vipers and now on the second 911 Turbo S ,DCT,you are correct ,the DCT Trans w/LC are amazing...A Gen 5 with a DCT would smoke most everything...My 991 TS runs close to mid 10s all day long bone stock...A Gen.5 just how it is with a DCT will go mid 10s every time ....Go drive a 991 Turbo S or PDK GT3 and you will see...

Many more people will by new Viper with a DCT...Most people in 2014 do NOT want to shift a car....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect, however, how many times can you repeat the same line. If I had the time and did some research, I could probably find at least 50 times where you repeat the same thing. Again, no disrespect, but, everyone else might be tired of hearing it.

s
After owning 3 Vipers and now on the second 911 Turbo S ,DCT,you are correct ,the DCT Trans w/LC are amazing...A Gen 5 with a DCT would smoke most everything...My 991 TS runs close to mid 10s all day long bone stock...A Gen.5 just how it is with a DCT will go mid 10s every time ....Go drive a 991 Turbo S or PDK GT3 and you will see...

Many more people will by new Viper with a DCT...Most people in 2014 do NOT want to shift a car....

Bubba 2.9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad, but I think it's the beginning of the end for the manual tranny. I have spent countless hours trying to teach my brother in-law how to drive a manual transmission. He's incapable and will not buy a car unless it's auto or dct. (he's Chinese go figure.) Most young people that are training to get their drivers license do it in an automatic car. I think it's over for old school guys like us. 5 years from now maybe you'll see a manual offered as an expensive option. The people have spoken and the manufacturers are listening. The people who are passionate and devoted don't mean ****. They are in the business of selling cars. I love my Viper and every time I fire it up I smile, I don't kid myself though, no one sitting in the board room gives a ****. JD

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad, but I think it's the beginning of the end for the manual tranny. I have spent countless hours trying to teach my brother in-law how to drive a manual transmission. He's incapable and will not buy a car unless it's auto or dct. (he's Chinese go figure.) Most young people that are training to get their drivers license do it in an automatic car. I think it's over for old school guys like us. 5 years from now maybe you'll see a manual offered as an expensive option. The people have spoken and the manufacturers are listening. The people who are passionate and devoted don't mean ****. They are in the business of selling cars. I love my Viper and every time I fire it up I smile, I don't kid myself though, no one sitting in the board room gives a ****. JD

I disagree completely. Auto manufacturers push what's best for them and if a DCT makes their race car offering faster in testing then that's it. If GT3 Porsche is faster with DCT and they stop offering a manual then all the buyers who have loved the manual in their past GT3's are just as happy to switch to whatevers fastest. That's really all racers, wannabe racers and racer posers care about. And those buyers seem awfully willing to give up anything else Porsche decides to take away, like the preferred feel of hydraulic steering. They line up and accept whatever because its the newest, fastest and greatest GT3 ever. It's hugely expensive, performs great and strokes their egos in the same way the 911 Turbo S strokes those into 0-60 and 1/4 mile stats. In the strange Porsche world they even get away with hanging an engine out the rear behind the axle. Thank goodness for electronic stability and traction control systems that can manage that poor design. But Porsche does recognize that there are enthusiast drivers who choose the manual over anything computer controlled for the most engaging driving experience possible, and they offer the manual on other 911's and other models.

Viper's mission is road racing and they've managed to stay at the top with a manual. I suspect they may need a quicker tranny at some point, and perhaps AWD as well to get the power down. But I don't see Dodge abandoning the manual for those wanting the most envolving driving experience in a Viper anymore than I can see Porsche preserving it the GT3. Many buyers choose a Viper for very different reasons than they do other models that happen to come with a DCT, and while I hope Dodge will offer one for those who would like one, the manual is very much here to stay on a Viper and many other performance cars I think. I'd expect to see a resurgence in the stick's popularity, and some brands re-introduce it. Jaguar is working on a manual for the F-Type after decades of auto only, and I'd have kept my XKR had it had one. I tried paddle shifting but felt robbed of a rewarding element of performance driving and traded it for the Viper. Others have found the same. Some buyers have chosen an Aston over Jaguar to get a stick in a similarly elegant car.

My kids grew up with sports cars with sticks and heaps of performance, and they love the manual gearbox for the unique driving experience that separates those from their everyday boring rides. They also like that they actually have to focus more on driving, and they like that too. The manual is here to stay, and having it will help some cars feel that much more special for those that want a bit of relief from the everyday auto.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea, I agree pretty much with this & FLL's post. It is what it is. I prefer the manual for street fun, it's part of the experience. For trackdays, same thing, I love the manual for the same reason. If were racing to be absolutely competitive, I'd want a DCT, if it weren't superior then ALMS vipers would be stick, there should be no argument. In fact, it can be argued that an ACR should be only DCT, since it's absolute commitment is on track performance, and maybe that's why we've not seen it yet, can you imagine the track time a DCT equipped gen5 would do considering the beat down it does with an H-pattern for Pete's sake. It would be humiliating other cars that are already in the rearview. I wouldn't be surprised if this is only MAJOR item trying to be addressed in an ACR, other than cosmetics and some suspension, maybe, maybe more aero but it doesn't seem to "need" it, maybe for a 'ring run.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I repeat this is because it is the way forward for Viper if it is to survive...Period.....
In no way do I think Dodge should eliminate a stick in the future Vipers,they are fun and I very much enjoy them and always will.Just add a DCT for a option...
Dodge and cars companies read these forums because we are their customers and if they see what we want,that will influence their decisions...