Help, car will not start

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, fighting a huge problem. Car is a '96 RT/10. Friday, drove it to work and home, fine, no problems. Later that night was putting it in the garage and while idling in the driveway it dies, nothing hard, just quit. Tried to restart and it would turn a few times then lock hard. Had to push it back in the garage. List of things done: Got a new battery, no luck, thought it might be bad so went and swapped it with another new battery, still no luck. Car will spin over but sounds like it is under a heavy load. Got the car to start yesterday and once today. Both times it ran for about 30 seconds but very rough, like on 5 or 6 cylinders then dies. Immediatly trying to start it again and the battery won't turn it over, locks up again. I have jumped out the SAM, unplugged the ASD module and tried to turn over, still same thing. Checked the amps coming off the battery while starting and they were around 250 so nothing out of the ordinary I would think. Checked wiring harnesses to see if I could find anything loose or unplugged. Car isn't throwing any alarm codes. I did run the anti theft security check where you set the ignition key and then open and close all the doors, hood, and then the key switch. All of these worked except for the drivers door, the horn would not blow. I have wired my door popper into this slot and it still works so I know it is still getting a signal out of the module. Nothing sounds internal as when it fire it just sounds like all cylinders aren't firing, no metal or harsh noises.

Running out of ideas of things to try before I take it to my tech guy. Anyone heard of this one before?

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you know how old the fuel filter is? How about the plug wires, do you have headers? Wires will breakdown under severe heat over time. Getting spark at the plugs?

OP
OP
T

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wires are new, filter is less than 6 months old, no headers. I am still thinking on the electrical end because it will crank for a few seconds then it will just lock up and the battery appears dead triggering the flashing headlights, idiot lights, etc.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a ground wire problem. Not sure about 96 RT, but the wierd lights flashing and idiot lights used to happen to me with a bad ground.

On 97' up a ground on each side of motor up front. drivers frame by door. near rear battery at frame. And a few by wiper motors. Check and clean all of yours, hopefully that will help.

OP
OP
T

Trbulnc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all, not an easy one to chase. I will give Chuck a call tomorrow, at the moment I am thinking possibly a bad ground connection or a bad crank/cam sensor. Anyway to verify the sensors other than the voltage check method?