Help me understand E.T. vs MPH and how they effect each other.

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title says could someone explain so an idiot could understand how mph and et effect each other. The reason I ask is because I posted my timeslip times from a few weeks ago and I was replied with my mph shows I hace a mid to upper 7 second car. What I ran was an 8.02 at 92.60 mph with a 1.9 60ft. So how does that equal a mid 7 second car. I'm just curious how to get it to run that much faster with the way it is.

Also if I added traction mods and got my 60ft down how will that effect my mph, will ith go up or down?

Also if I could get my 60ft down to 1.6s how much time would that take off my time.

Also this is 1/8th mile. Thanks for the help.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Et is an idication of traction while mph is an indication of horsepower.My old GTS ran 11.2 at 132 on Pilots.If the chasis and tires were optimized for drag racing a 132 mph pass should put you near 9s.or low 10s.(i have seen optimized Mustangs run 11.0s at 111MPH)Rule of thump on 60 fot times are pick up 1 tenth down below and you pick up 2 tenths up top.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS alot of times Viper tuners will lets just say maximize horsepower numbers their packages make on dynos.Dont give me a dyno number, tell me on stock tires what the cars trap speeds are instead

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. To make sure I got it right if I get traction and run a faster time my mph should go down. Is that right and what's a good 60ft to shoot for with street tires and dr's. Thanks again

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not exactly. You could sit at the tree staring at green lights for 5 MINUTES and your mph would be whatever your trap speed says it is at 1/8 miles. MPH is what it is.

Elapsed Time (ET) is affected by reaction time, traction, and RATE OF acceleration (ie HP, WEIGHT gears, Alum Flywheel, sway bar relax, shock relax, etc etc)

Early in my GTS days I had a good run at 12.250 at 117 mph, and was beat at 11.88 by a vehicle that had a trap speed of only 97 mph ! When I first posted that here, a few folks cried IMPOSSIBLE! He won the race in the 1st 6 seconds

ps: it was an Electric Vehicle, in the World Championships drag race! I was the 12-volt class sacrificial gas guzzler

Last edited:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Et is an idication of traction while mph is an indication of horsepower.My old GTS ran 11.2 at 132 on Pilots.If the chasis and tires were optimized for drag racing a 132 mph pass should put you near 9s.or low 10s.(i have seen optimized Mustangs run 11.0s at 111MPH)Rule of thump on 60 fot times are pick up 1 tenth down below and you pick up 2 tenths up top.

I've heard comments before about how a magic chassis is going to knock the ET down on a Viper. I don't believe it for the most part.

Once you're out of the hole, past 60' and hooking up, most of the chassis and tire work's about over isn't it? Unless your 132mph 60' time was pathetic it'd take more than chassis work to knock over a second off your time.

Mustangs and other cars with as much HP as the average modded Gen2 have different powerbands.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A chasis obtimized for drag racing (solid rear no sway bar ect full slicks )makes a hugh difference.Evan Smiths Mustang he competes with weighs slighty less than my old GTS makes 350 to the tire (i used to make 560 plus )EVAN RUNS 11.0 AT 110MPH.The best my Gts ran was 11.2 at 132 .My car is going 22 mph (due to its superior horsepower )faster at the end of the quarter but i still lose -chasis and tires hooking up way better at launch and down the track.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago for the hell of it and because at the time the car made freak power (approx 775 to the tires ) i set up the mini test of Dan Blacks DLM stage 2 plus Viper in Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford Mag .The car on stock tires ,stock suspension (obtimized for road racing,not drag racing)ran 10.7 at 146 MPH.Smith drove the car during the test walked it out of the hole during launch and was exceptionally careful with his shifting and throttle application (car would go sideways -no traction any time during the run ).With all that power yet no ability to put hook up (tires ,chasis ,suspension not set up to drag )the mph indicated( on the drag computer )close to an 8 second run yet he could not even get mid 10s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4