High-mile Vipers.....anyone?

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering who's got the most miles on their Viper. Anyone over 100,000?
Also, any problems or issues with high mile cars?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The highest to date is 105,000 miles. It is a early black RT/10.

Here are some others:

1994 Black RT/10 for sale in Maryland with 101,000 miles

1995 RT/10 with 95,000 Miles

1996 GTS with 73,000 Miles

2000 RT/10 with 51,000 Miles

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the black 94 R/T in Maryland with 105k. I think the other one with 101k is probably mine. That's what mine had when I bought it last year.
I am the world leader for high miles Viper.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 has 57K on it. Nothing too major - just the waterpump and the drier on the A/C. I try to put about 300 miles a weekend on the Viper when I'm in town. Driving the Viper keeps me sane.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the black 94 R/T in Maryland with 105k. I think the other one with 101k is probably mine. That's what mine had when I bought it last year.

Wonder how you know you have the highest milage Viper?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The highest to date is 105,000 miles. It is a early black RT/10.

1994 Black RT/10 for sale in Maryland with 101,000 miles

I belive they are one in the same. I also have a 97 GTS on my logs with 90k+.

Kinda begining to feel like old times here on the board... now all we need is someone to ask "who is the oldest..."

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wonder how you know you have the highest milage Viper?

Can you prove otherwise? ;) Good enough for me :)

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Paolo has like 387,000 miles on his.

Keith, My 1996 has 73,000 miles on it. When Heffner disassembled the motor to build the lower end for all the power I will be having, the cylinder walls still have the cross hatch pattern from honing, the pistons had no carbon buildup on them and were in very good shape, the main bearings looked brand new, the cam looked perfect except for a couple of minor scuffs here and there. I hope to put a bunch more miles on it when I get the car back!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MichaelP,
As with any king, being the King of High Miles gives me more than a few perks. One of those is the ability to proclaim things. About a year ago I proclaimed to the world that I own the highest miles Viper in the world. I've never had anyone challenge me in this. Based on this, I feel that it must be true.
It's not easy to be a king these days. People keep getting me mixed up with a dictator and we know how tough it is to be a proper dictator this week. If you have any further questions about the validity of my proclamation, I'll send out my Minister of Information. I just hired him. His former job folded today and I got him cheap.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im only at 29K...But its not for not trying. Im going to drive my snake across country again this year so at least im guaranteed 6K annually from that trip alone. and to anyone who has considered doing it. DO IT. its the best roadtrip ive ever done, from coast to coast with the top off every day but one. (its amazing how many ******* restaurants there are nationwide, LOL)

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo:

Wow. You must be having a lot of work done. Well it is all worth it because it is a Viper!

F355, it will definitely be worth it as Jason Heffner is making me his best, most powerful, most supercharged creation so far.

P.S. Are you sure you want to be nice to me with a plate that says ENZO WHO ? Just kidding, take care.

RED 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 95 black rt/10 with 93k on it it blew and main bearing at 93k and I sold it the guy had it rebuilt but right after that he tore the transmission up other than that it was a good car..

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MichaelP,
{SNIP} If you have any further questions about the validity of my proclamation, I'll send out my Minister of Information. I just hired him. His former job folded today and I got him cheap.

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
194,000 miles here, sorry Joe 8-(

I have a pic showing 180,000 on my profile. I'm the original owner and use it all the time. I also track it quite a bit. Been doing alot of drifting recently. Can see some misc pics at www.gstg.info

I'm expecting to pass the 200k marker in the next few months. :cool:

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
194,000 miles here, sorry Mike 8-(

I have a pic showing 180,000 on my profile. I'm the original owner and use it all the time. I also track it quite a bit. Been doing alot of drifting recently. Can see some misc pics at www.gstg.info

I'm expecting to pass the 200k marker in the next few months. :cool:

wow.......last post in this thread before yours was over 4 YEARS ago!!!!

That's some serious miles! Have you had a chance to drive another Viper w/ low miles recently to compare with your car? If so, how does yours feel? Has it gotten 'loose' like most cars do at that age/mileage?

Reaction score
Haha ... I was actually looking to see if any threads were on high milage to see if there were any other 200k mile cars out there, so I ended up basically posting the same post on a few discussions.

I've tried some of the newer ones and they are MUCH better as far as comfort, braking, etc. I've got mine set VERY ******* the suspension so it doesn't get loose much, but I'm also into drifting now so I actually have set it up with the intention of getting loose at the right times :cool:

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So can you tell us what things have broken in 194k miles of driving your viper? Any parts we should stock up on in case we decide to get that much mileage out of ours? Any special maintenance other than OEM that you've done?

If gas remains available for the next 50 or 60 years I'd love to keep driving my viper, your story suggests that this may be possible.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
106,000 on my 98 RT/10.
Had an oil leak at the timing cover at 60,000 miles.
Had a leak at the oil cooler.
Lost a window motor and lost the AC twice (related to the timing cover oil leak I think).
Saggy doors both sides.
Repainted side sills due to exhaust heat.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
66,500 here. Bought new. 6 month max seasons. Tracked at least once a year. Autocrossed 20-30 times. Driven all over the country. Supercharged. Lots of other bolt on stuff. ........one failed oil cooler line under original warranty. Replaced CHMSL light under original warranty. ..and now will be replacing the timing cover gasket next week. The coolant leak there isn't even enough for a drop to hit the floor yet, but I'm having it done in preparation for our upcoming Gingerman event.

The Viper has been one of the most trouble free vehicles I've ever owned. The perception in the Viper world that anything over 2000/3000 miles per year is a high miler is pretty much ludicrous. I see no reason a well maintained Viper can't go a couple hundred thousand miles easily. I saw a Ford SHO on the Putnam Park track a couple years ago with 450,000 miles on it. The engine had never been apart. It was 100 degrees that day and it never missed a beat. Why should the Viper be any different?

I am slowly gaining on the high milers. It will take a few more years, but now being retired I see maybe 12K+ miles per year now ;)

Steve

Reaction score
I had my engine replaced at 84k, and a transmission replaced at 95k, both under the 100k warrantee. Not sure they needed it or not. I maintained a very good relationship with my Viper techs and told them I was coming up on my 100k and paid for them to look over the car with a fine tooth comb. They determined that there was a small oil leak they couldn't fix, so they got me a new engine ($50). Later when I wanted to put in a lighter fly wheel, they told me that there was an issue with 3rd gear popping out on some tech bulletin and replaced the tranny. But both these issues were more about taking a very detailed look over the car.

The only REAL issues I've faced were mostly engine mounts early on. It seems that due to all the stresses from racing I broke 2 engine mounts. They were replaced, but recently (probably due to my new favorite sport of drifting) I broke them again. The new ones I'm told are much stronger. These were not noticeable except by my Viper Techs when they were doing a more in depth safety check before they put on the supercharger.

Also I had issues with the back frame welds. These were recalled and fixed first by my insurance, then later on my Dodge. They double welded all the joints at no charge.

I've also had a heck of a time with the wiring harness overheating at the headlight plugs. For any high mileage older gen 1-2 cars I would check these every 25k miles. Mine litterly melted off at the plug. I'm talking about the interior headlight on off plug. I also leave my headlights on most of the time for driving also, which may be the issue.

The only other major issue I've had, which I think is due to the racing is overheating due to a stuck thermostat. I had it replaced a couple times and now have a whole new cooling system in that needed to be added for the supercharger. So I've been ok since then, and we also moved the fuel-mapping unit, as it was over heating while I was racing. DC performance moved it inside the car and it's not been an issue since.

The interior has had issues, like the door handles, etc, but again I think it's more that I'm very rough on the car then actual issues.

As I think back over the years I'm thinking about more and more minor things, but compared to all the cars we've had since I got my Viper, I'd say for the mileage it's one of the least worked on cars we own. For me it's really the workhorse of the family. I use it everyday driving in a ton of stop and go LA traffic as well as track it on the weekends. My 5 yr old son loves it and likes me picking him up from "friends" - daycare, so it also does some heavy-duty family fun as well. I'm amazed that it came with a special set of booster seat seatbelts besides the 5point connections and the door seatbelts. It's a Gen 1 car so it also doesn't have front airbags.

I'm lad to answer any other questions on it to date .... so far so GREAT!!

Last edited:

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
53,000 on my RaceYellow GTS:D I bought it new.

replaced
LH door wiring
Lh door w/s
Lh rear wheel brg
rear diff(blown pinion brg)
Just replaced trans(getting noisy:omg: warranty)
Best turn key car I've ever owned:drive: Get a extended warranty if you don't have one, my tranny was almost $6000 installed:omg:

Big Brake Dave :drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave