High mileage

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why is it, that it's sooooo hard to find a high mileage Viper?

Take a look on ebay, the highest one has less than 40,000 miles on it. I've owned mine for less than 2 months, and I have already put 3,000 km on it, and I don't even feel like I drove it that much, because it has been raining what seems like every second day.

Why is this? I don't understand.

Mileage roll back? or something? I don't know.... I really don't.

I'm kind of interested to see how much mileage you can get out of these cars, before they're 'junk'... if well taken care of. I've NEVER seen one over 60,000 miles, let alone 100,000.

Fill me in?

Thanks.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most I have heard is 250k or so by a guy on here with a white RT (possibly 96) with only one motor rebuild (to my knowledge)

I have 70k on mine...and climbing fast :) never had a problem other than the head gaskets...which is par for the course.

DSC06502.JPG

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice.... i was just lookin at your other post, with the trunktop lid. Very nice!

I'm still considering getting the 3 piece one to replace my soft top and hard top. Would probably break even if I sold both oem soft and hard top too.... that way I could store it in my trunk.

So head gaskets are a normal thing to blow on the viper engine? What causes this? Stress, or is it acid build up in the antifreeze?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice.... i was just lookin at your other post, with the trunktop lid. Very nice!

I'm still considering getting the 3 piece one to replace my soft top and hard top. Would probably break even if I sold both oem soft and hard top too.... that way I could store it in my trunk.

So head gaskets are a normal thing to blow on the viper engine? What causes this? Stress, or is it acid build up in the antifreeze?

Actually, mine is not a trunk top...same guy designed it, but different top (brand new :) )

on Gen 1's the gaskets are known to go...the type of material the gasket is made of only lasts so long...but this is only a factor on Gen 1's. Mine lasted 65k before it went...and I drive mine quite a bit.

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great! Didn't know there were other 'trunk top' like hard tops. Very cool though, really gives it a 'was designed for it' look.

Well, at least it's good to know my viper with 44,000km's on it isn't getting "old". hahaha.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a 98 GT-2 GTS-R replica in OR with over 150,000 miles, Motor Rebult at 120K

G

Gotvenom 08

I have owned mine since August 1 08 and finally drove it Aug 17 after clear bra.So in a month I logged 2830 miles.It's a car, it's made to drive......

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, mine is not a trunk top...same guy designed it, but different top (brand new :) )

on Gen 1's the gaskets are known to go...the type of material the gasket is made of only lasts so long...but this is only a factor on Gen 1's. Mine lasted 65k before it went...and I drive mine quite a bit.

WHAT ... GotOne posts a pic with his new top and doesn't email it to his clubmates first! Well he deserves to be ousted for that ...:lmao:

Just kidding you do too great of a job. :2tu: I saw the thread and thought of your gorgeous Viper.:drive:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT ... GotOne posts a pic with his new top and doesn't email it to his clubmates first! Well he deserves to be ousted for that ...:lmao:

Just kidding you do too great of a job. :2tu: I saw the thread and thought of your gorgeous Viper.:drive:

Ya, but come Sunday (or tomorrow depending on what you guys are doing) you guys will get to see it first hand! ;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a Gen 2 black RT/10 in Atlanta that had 66k on it a year ago. Not sure whats on it now.

To answer your question, I think the reason its hard to find a high mileage Viper is with the economy, any Viper is hard to sell. Those with high mileage knows they'll get next to nothing for them, so why sale (unless just 100% required due to personal reasons). I know mine with 85k on it is worth low $20k's, so I'll ADD another Viper before I replace this one. I'll get more fun out of having 2 Vipers than I would giving this one away and buying a new one.

VAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it, that it's sooooo hard to find a high mileage Viper?

Take a look on ebay, the highest one has less than 40,000 miles on it. I've owned mine for less than 2 months, and I have already put 3,000 km on it, and I don't even feel like I drove it that much, because it has been raining what seems like every second day.

Why is this? I don't understand.

Mileage roll back? or something? I don't know.... I really don't.

I'm kind of interested to see how much mileage you can get out of these cars, before they're 'junk'... if well taken care of. I've NEVER seen one over 60,000 miles, let alone 100,000.

Fill me in?

Thanks.

Give me a couple of years, I'll have one....:drive: No garage queen here:headbang:

Rays94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 94 RT, I am at 113,000 Motor rebuilt @ 95K. Still running strong. No major issues. Last job was replacing thermostat housing gaskets. (were weeping for awhile). Change all fluids, oil, anifreeze, tranny and rear regularly.

:drive:

w8liftn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know what you mean, my '02 GTS has just rolled 29K and I drive it every day except when it rains. I sometimes get the feeling that people see the odometer and are shocked that the mileage is so 'high'. It's weird because compared to other cars that kind of mileage is extremely low.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has 48K on a 98GTS that I've had since new. It's had some repairs to it. They're not cheap. My wife told me to just put so much in an account per month and if the repairs and upkeep get higher than that get another car. I would probably need to put about 300 or 400 dollars a month into it to stay ahead. A little more than the payment on a Honda Civic. I used to drive mine pretty much every day as a daily driver. It failed me once the other day. The top radiator hose blew. I called the local Dodge dealer and in two days they had one for me. Took about 30 minutes to replace. Total cost $91 for hose plus shipping and handling. It didn't even require much radiator fluid. I got two containers and two new hose clamps for $27 at Autozone.

I did get some PS2's. They weren't cheap. Hopefully I won't need another set for a few years. They're a little creepy in that they stick so well it's like your driving the car in an "Arcade" setting.

In 10 years to use an exotic car for a daily driver and have it only fail on you one time. That's pretty remarkable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302