Home buglarized

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My home was broken into and robbed on Friday morning after my wife and I left for work. Over the years I had told my wife we wouldn't be burgaled because we live in the smallest/most modest home in the neighborhood. Well, I drive a "rich man's" car. I believe we were targeted because I drive this incredible Viper. So, long story short, I advise all you Viper owners to get an alarm system installed if you don't have one. Also, protect your home as much as you can. For example, they broke in a window that was locked but did not have a bar to prevent it from sliding open. Hindsight is 20/20!

Good news is no one was hurt, and they left my precious bikes!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Home burgaled

Sorry to hear! I'm assuming they didn't get the car either?????? Hopfully these idiots get caught. They all seem to get thier own eventually.

-Tim

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you. No, they did not get the car. I drive it to work on Fridays. Just glad the wife didn't have to go back to the house for something. They did get my collection of rare Rhodesian (where I grew up) gold coins.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

man, that stinks.

glad y'all are unhurt and i hope you are not burdened with feeling violated.

i would rather suffer the same financial loss in a not at fault car wreck than to be victimized by a thief.

peace

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank God you weren't home. Security systems are a must no matter where you live imo. I live in a very bucolic rural area but my entire house is equipped with a central monitoring system with window and door sensors and motion and glass break sensors and I have a complete indoor/outdoor surveillance system with remote recording, viewing and playback plus driveway and walkway sensors all with battery backup. ...and anyone who is stupid enough to actually try to break in when I'm home will leave in a body bag.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's awful. Glad to hear you and your wife weren't home when this happened and that you're both OK. I'm sure your local police are probably giving you tips on how to secure your home. For security reasons, I don't publish what I have for security, but a multi-faceted security system with no single point of failure and with various sensors is a must IMO. If you do invest in a home security system get a battery backup and radio-frequency communication with your security provider. I've seen/heard too many stories whereby thousands are invested in a home security system only to fail because thieves cut power, phone and cable lines or there's some other single point of failure. Sometimes just having a sign outside the house indicating an alarm system is monitoring the home is enough to thwart burglars, they tend to seek out the easiest targets when possible.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. What part of Houston do you live in?

Hopefully homeowners insurance is gentle on you.

Tony

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. The best thing is that nobody got hurt. We live in a very quiete community. But i had a custom house security system installed a few years ago also last year i had put in 4 cameras that you can easily see around the house with 6 day playback. i can access them on my phone too. It s a detterant for the guys that break into home and look for stuff like that before they do that.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off: sorry to hear about that. People that steal from others are some of the lowest forms of life. People seem to be getting desperate these days.

Second: there are a lot of good resources out there for figuring out how to set up your own home security system. Over the past year, my wife and I designed and installed our own home security system. Only we know where the sensors are, and what kind they are...the company that monitors it does just that, and nothing else. There are also quite a few options for pan/tilt/zoom cameras out there that aren't too expensive, and have a lot of capability. There are certainly companies out there that will be more than happy to take your money and install something for you, but this is definitely something you can do yourself if you just take a little time and do some research.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been robbed three times over the years. First time-guns and collector knives. 2nd time electronics and 3rd time $12000 worth of tools from my workshop. I live in the country and it takes the law about an hour to get there. When they broke into my shop, you could see where they touched the door. I asked the law if they were going to take prints and was told I watch too much CSI!!!

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about what happened and the loss of your coins. Hopefully the emotional damage isn't too bad for you and your wife. Glad you're both ok physically, though. I'm sure the police have already told you to call any local/nearby pawnshops. If not, try and shoot out some faxes to local stores with descriptors/pictures of the coins. Can't tell ya how many a$$holes we arrest because of honest pawn shop owners.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Houston area crime and extensive theft zone. Be glad you drove the Viper as they probably had that as their target. As many probably remember my home was broken into a few years ago just outside of Houston and stole my Viper too. Hope your claims work out and that you do not have USAA as I use to.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you. No, they did not get the car. I drive it to work on Fridays. Just glad the wife didn't have to go back to the house for something. They did get my collection of rare Rhodesian (where I grew up) gold coins.
Glad all is well with family most importantly! The worst part is those morons can't even pronounce Rhodesian so they just grab whatever they can.

When they broke into my shop, you could see where they touched the door. I asked the law if they were going to take prints and was told I watch too much CSI!!!
Good grief I would've said "And you watch too many donut shops."

... I'm sure the police have already told you to call any local/nearby pawnshops. If not, try and shoot out some faxes to local stores with descriptors/pictures of the coins. Can't tell ya how many a$$holes we arrest because of honest pawn shop owners.
Don't underestimate this... it's good advice and works often.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they broke into my shop, you could see where they touched the door. I asked the law if they were going to take prints and was told I watch too much CSI!!!

Exactly this... I have friends and relatives that are cops and they are nice people but the CSI comment here is very telling. Some people think that I go overboard on security but I just don't have faith in law enforcement or the judicial system.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been robbed three times over the years. First time-guns and collector knives. 2nd time electronics and 3rd time $12000 worth of tools from my workshop. I live in the country and it takes the law about an hour to get there. When they broke into my shop, you could see where they touched the door. I asked the law if they were going to take prints and was told I watch too much CSI!!!

You need to get yourself a watchdog and put a Beware of a Killer Dog sign out front!

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:crazy2: Sorry to hear. I travel to 5 Southeastern states & "Home Invasion" is absolutely on the rise, but doesn't get reported much. Also watch out for "Strangers" walking up to anyone out in their front yards during the day, asking for help / directions then forcing you to your ATM machine. Gotta get up with the times. That's why I ALWAYS carry "Insurance" when driving my car. :rolleyes:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, we must have the same insurance company, ha..........mine is called 9mm and I carry insurance on me at all times......legally

:crazy2: Sorry to hear. I travel to 5 Southeastern states & "Home Invasion" is absolutely on the rise, but doesn't get reported much. Also watch out for "Strangers" walking up to anyone out in their front yards during the day, asking for help / directions then forcing you to your ATM machine. Gotta get up with the times. That's why I ALWAYS carry "Insurance" when driving my car. :rolleyes:

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly this... I have friends and relatives that are cops and they are nice people but the CSI comment here is very telling. Some people think that I go overboard on security but I just don't have faith in law enforcement or the judicial system.
I totally agree with V10enomous I go crazy with my security system I have dvr 8 cameras, motion sensors, pressure mats,early warning system,and 8 large sirens. I feel your enemy could be your close friends and that's why they won't target us if they know your property is like fort Knox.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with V10enomous I go crazy with my security system I have dvr 8 cameras, motion sensors, pressure mats,early warning system,and 8 large sirens. I feel your enemy could be your close friends and that's why they won't target us if they know your property is like fort Knox.
1/3 or robberies are from people you know.

I'd venture to guess, more than that maybe are from friends of acquaintance. "Hey, you know Wiretech has XYZ in his house, crazy!"

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sybil After spending 2 yrs in the jungle in Nam in the Marines in 1966 thru 1968, this ole man says the heck with the dog

BEWARE OF THE OWNER......HA

You need to get yourself a watchdog and put a Beware of a Killer Dog sign out front!

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your house getting robbed..... There's hardly any feeling worse than the anger and helplessness that comes after being robbed. It's unfortunate how people can be so desperate or evil to steal things from others who have worked so hard for everything they have, no matter how much or little that may be.

I know there's a lot of proud gun owners on here, but I will never own a gun since I don't need one nor do i believe in owning one as mine are "built in" as a former bodybuilder. I've been mugged 3 times in my adult life, once at gunpoint, once when I was stabbed by the attacker's knife, (both of those happened nearly 10 years ago when i was literally as big as Schwartzeneger), and the most recent one was just last week on the wonderful New York City subway system in the middle of the day by some punk kid half my size while I was dressed in my suit and tie on my way to an important meeting. All 3 times I beat the living crap out of my attackers, the worst of which happened to the poor guy with the knife, as he got me REALLY angry after he sliced me with a knife. All 3 times, a gun wouldn't have done a bit of good since it was fast reflexes, and some quick thinking that allowed me to disarm and overwhelm the muggers. A gun would have either gotten myself or the attacker killed (or an innocent bystander), and would have likely landed me not only on the news but in court and jail as well. The way I handled defending myself, I left slightly disfigured muggers unconscious on the ground, and walked away without any problem at all.

As for my home, i do plan to install some serious surveilance equipment and security systems on it at some point down the road as there are far too many burglaries no matter where you live in the country.....but never will i own a gun as i just dont see the need, at least not for myself.....

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Hoboken........from now on I am gonna call you ROCKY........just kiddin.......sounds to me like you better register those guns, ha............way to go, those kinda people deserve a good beat down by a man in a suit and tie. Maybe they will have a little more respect in the future....but there will come a day when the ole guns ain't what they use to be and as a senior citizen, in a life or death situation, that kinda person better hope I don't get my gun out as deadly force will become my defense.

E=HobokenViper;3148462]Really sorry to hear about your house getting robbed..... There's hardly any feeling worse than the anger and helplessness that comes after being robbed. It's unfortunate how people can be so desperate or evil to steal things from others who have worked so hard for everything they have, no matter how much or little that may be.

I know there's a lot of proud gun owners on here, but I will never own a gun since I don't need one nor do i believe in owning one as mine are "built in" as a former bodybuilder. I've been mugged 3 times in my adult life, once at gunpoint, once when I was stabbed by the attacker's knife, (both of those happened nearly 10 years ago when i was literally as big as Schwartzeneger), and the most recent one was just last week on the wonderful New York City subway system in the middle of the day by some punk kid half my size while I was dressed in my suit and tie on my way to an important meeting. All 3 times I beat the living crap out of my attackers, the worst of which happened to the poor guy with the knife, as he got me REALLY angry after he sliced me with a knife. All 3 times, a gun wouldn't have done a bit of good since it was fast reflexes, and some quick thinking that allowed me to disarm and overwhelm the muggers. A gun would have either gotten myself or the attacker killed (or an innocent bystander), and would have likely landed me not only on the news but in court and jail as well. The way I handled defending myself, I left slightly disfigured muggers unconscious on the ground, and walked away without any problem at all.

As for my home, i do plan to install some serious surveilance equipment and security systems on it at some point down the road as there are far too many burglaries no matter where you live in the country.....but never will i own a gun as i just dont see the need, at least not for myself.....[/QUOTE]

SHEVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I do that probably seems insane to non-car people, is that I lock the spare keys to my cars in my safe. I have heard of people's homes getting broken into, and in worrying about all of the valuable stuff, no one notices the spare key to the car is gone. Then one day they drive the car out somewhere, or next time they leave it home....it disappears.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They caught the two that got my guns and knives. They got them red handed with $30,000.00 worth of stolen merchandise in a garage. I guess the police kept my guns though. I never got them back. After my house got robbed, a neighbor told me about a truck that seemed to be checking the area a few days before. I saw it the next day and got a good look at the driver. It was the same two that broke into my house. I got suppoened (sp?) to the sentencing trial and the little 18 and 30 year old ******** walked out of the courtroom before I did with only probation!!! Unfortunately, I have a 1/4 mile driveway through the woods and if someone comes up there, they know they have all day. They watched a movie and ate a meal at my coffee table while they were in my house.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to keep getting worse with these home break-ins as the Obama regime continues to destroy our economy and open the gates for illegals. As you experienced here the judicial system is a Joke. I'm glad that everyone is out buying guns at a record pace these days so these intruders can be sentenced to cremation rather than probation to send a message.

They caught the two that got my guns and knives. They got them red handed with $30,000.00 worth of stolen merchandise in a garage. I guess the police kept my guns though. I never got them back. After my house got robbed, a neighbor told me about a truck that seemed to be checking the area a few days before. I saw it the next day and got a good look at the driver. It was the same two that broke into my house. I got suppoened (sp?) to the sentencing trial and the little 18 and 30 year old ******** walked out of the courtroom before I did with only probation!!! Unfortunately, I have a 1/4 mile driveway through the woods and if someone comes up there, they know they have all day. They watched a movie and ate a meal at my coffee table while they were in my house.

OP
OP
M

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I do that probably seems insane to non-car people, is that I lock the spare keys to my cars in my safe. I have heard of people's homes getting broken into, and in worrying about all of the valuable stuff, no one notices the spare key to the car is gone. Then one day they drive the car out somewhere, or next time they leave it home....it disappears.

Thanks to all here for your kind wishes and thoughts. My wife and I are fine. Just pissed as you can imagine. But life goes on. I will take much of the great advice here to use. I will call pawn shops for the coins. I will hide the car keys so that they can't be found, I will secure ALL doors and windows. Not sure I can bulk up like Hoboken (stay lean for cycling :)) Still not sure about the big dog (the large poop thing). Funny thing is we have a small dog who is useless. He was out walking around while they were slamming my safe.