Hood adjustment expert needed.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood on my Gen 2 closes and latches ok and there is NO gap problems. The problem though is after the hood is closed and I lift up on the RIGHT side (to check closed) the right FRONT lifts up about 1/2 inch even though it IS latched. It did not used to do this. The left front side is completely snug and has no lift. I recently took the car to my dealer tech and he made some sort of adjustment which worked but only for a short time. Anyone with past experience with this specific issue and how to adjust? Thanks.

USexoticsLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have as much experience as alot of the guys around here, but I know that the latches upfront are adjustable up/down... is there any way that the bolts that lock the latch in position are stripped or seized at all. That would be my first guess... that for some reason the bolts aren't providing enough torque to hold the position and it may just be the latch moving freely up and down. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have as much experience as alot of the guys around here, but I know that the latches upfront are adjustable up/down... is there any way that the bolts that lock the latch in position are stripped or seized at all. That would be my first guess... that for some reason the bolts aren't providing enough torque to hold the position and it may just be the latch moving freely up and down. Good luck with it.
The bolts are ok on the front latches and I believe the cause is possibly the right side hood mount assembly may need adjusting but not sure how or even if it is adjustable. The hood does not lift at the front latch, only at the right front corner.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bolts are ok on the front latches and I believe the cause is possibly the right side hood mount assembly may need adjusting but not sure how or even if it is adjustable. The hood does not lift at the front latch, only at the right front corner.

Hood mount assembly? What's that? The hood lifts at the right front but not at the front latch? Then you have a bigger issue than a mechanical adjustment can fix.

If you have movement at a hood front corner then it's because you have room to move at the latch. Either the latch has to move down or the hood stop has to move up. If your hood gap looks good but it moves up during the hood closed test, then the latch has to move down.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood mount assembly? What's that? The hood lifts at the right front but not at the front latch? Then you have a bigger issue than a mechanical adjustment can fix.

If you have movement at a hood front corner then it's because you have room to move at the latch. Either the latch has to move down or the hood stop has to move up. If your hood gap looks good but it moves up during the hood closed test, then the latch has to move down.

another possibility is that the bumper stop was too high - and that side never latched.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just snapped some pics to help.. adjusting the latch & hood bumper.

First, check that the latch loop is fastened ok underside the hood, if it's loose that could be a culprit.
You must be registered for see images

If this is ok, now you need to determine if the latch is catching the loop when the hood is shut, the latch loop should be captured by the latch claws.
I simulated this with a bolt in this picture below, you can see the bolt is captured and the only way I can release it is by the depressing the latch release in the grille opening.
I think this is your problem, the hood loop is not being captured in the latch, next step is to find out why.

The latch assembly may be too low, not allowing the latch locking claws to shut around the hood loop.
First thing to do is lower the hood bumper, spin the hood bumper screw (clockwise) and lower it, count the number of turns, for example 5 full turns. If needed, you can mark the hood bumper rubber with a pencil to keep track of the turns.

Next step is to shut your hood, slowly drop your hood, press the left hood side firmly down until you hear the hood latch catch click, then go to the right side and firmly press the hood down until you hear the latch catch click shut.
Observe the hood gap, does it look ok, or too high or low?
If it is too low you can raise the latch mechanism, open the hood and loosen these 2 bolts below and raise the latch mechanism up 1/8" and retighten.
Shut the hood again, it may be trial and error raising or lowering the latch mechanism to set the closed hood height.

Once the hood shuts with a nice gap you need to adjust the hood bumper, the purpose of the bumper is to keep the hood snug to the car, eliminate any vibrations in the latch mechanism, without a hood bumper you would hear a very annoying rattling of the loop in the catch mechanism driving over bumps etc..
The hood bumper does not adjust hood height, the latch does. Raise the hood bumper less of number turns when it was previously lowered, such as raising 3 full turns (counterclockwise).
Place a strip of grocery bag paper on the bumper.

Shut the hood, if the latch does not click shut, then lower the hood bumper and try again.
If the hood latch does click shut and if you can pull the paper strip out, you need to raise the hood bumper.
Raise the hood bumper up 1 turn at a time trying to pull paper strip out after closing hood, maybe take a few times..
The goal is to raise the hood bumper until you can no longer pull the paper strip out when the hood is shut.

Once you can no longer pull the paper strip out, raise the hood bumper one last time up 1/2 of a turn, and now you should be able to slam your hood shut and have a nice gap.

Best regards,
Mike

Last edited:

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing, don't go messing with the release cable adjusters - without reason.
If you get the adjusters too tight - the latch(s) won't catch or won't catch tight enough to hold that side under movement.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn those engineers that made such a beautiful car and powerful engine but couldn't fix this problem. Shims on every body part! Aaarrrrrghhhhh! I'm glad the Gen IIIs have fixed this once and for all. Sorry, but I felt like venting.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, 2000 Black, for taking the time and effort to post this. Its nice to know there are a few who know what they are talking about. I will try all your suggestions and see if that works. I was thinking the problem was the main bracket assembly that bolts to the bottom of the hood and allows the hood to swing up or down, since when I lift up on the right side over the tire, the edge of hood lifts straight up about 1/4 inch just to the right of the head light assembly and not around where it latches. Thanks again, Mark.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike thanks for the illustration and just in time as my hood is beginning to act up. Great writeup!

- Tony

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post. I think even I I can do this without chipping the paint where my hood meets the facia, unlike my Viper tech.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you guys are too polite, it was just an attempt to help out. There's quite a few experts here, I'm just trying to learn and share as life goes on.. and I learn more than what I spew on this site. It's all good.

Thanks! :2tu:
Mike

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
this was driving me nuts for the past 4-5 months and I finally had a free Saturday today to make my hood the little bit lower it needed to be. If I knew it was a 10 minute fix I would have done it a long time ago.

Your pics and write up made it a snap! Thanks so much, the mismatched alignment was an eyesoar that drove me INSANE!

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up and pics Black. Need to post it in Illustrated How To also. Great info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang