How active are Vipers in Boston area?

Watchful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm potentially moving to the Boston area later this year (more precisely, Burlington), and am wondering how many Vipers are in that area and how active they are. I see a few threads in here, but not all that many. Is there a big club? Lots of Vipers? Lots of events?

I also have a basic question: how much driving time do you realistically get during the average year? I don't take it out in snow, or below 40 degrees. What part of the year does that leave me with? Trying to work out if it's worth keeping the Viper. Not that I want to get rid of it, but if I can only drive it 3 months of the year, I might as well have a Prius. :(

What's the situation with local backroads and countryside drives, are there good roads/routes?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just trying to get some feel for what I'm moving to! Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Paul.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

We are a small club compared to IL, but very active. Last year we had more then 10 cars at every event. Some event can approach 25-30 cars.

I live over two hours north of Boston, and we drive our cars from April to November. This year we got the car out in March.

Like I said the club is VERY active. We have over 15 events planned for this year. That doesn't include impromptu events that a few members may suggest at the last minute. I've already gone out three times this year.

You picked a great location, as that is pretty much right in the center of the club. There are many active members very close to Burlington. We often cruise to the north country for open roads.

We also get together 2-3 times in the off season. In Dec we have our Christmas party, in Jan open directors meeting, and in Feb/Mar a cart day at f1 Boston.

Check out our calendar of events for this year.

Viper Club of America

You will be glad you kept your car, trust me.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto to what Joe said. Keep the Viper. I moved to Hopkinton (west of Boston) from NJ and the NE Club is much more active than I thought it would be. My wife and I have had a great time on the events. I don't lock the cars away in the winter either. I won't drive them in snow or when its really cold out but there are plenty of days where it is in the 50s and sunny, even in the winter.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I also have a basic question: how much driving time do you realistically get during the average year? I don't take it out in snow, or below 40 degrees. What part of the year does that leave me with? Trying to work out if it's worth keeping the Viper. Not that I want to get rid of it, but if I can only drive it 3 months of the year, I might as well have a Prius. :(

Cheers,
Paul.

Driving time, keeping the 40 degree factor in mind would be starting around April 1st and ending around mid-November. So 8 months, give or take a few weeks.

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Paul, the winters pretty much **** around here, road salt and sand all over the place. But once the weather starts to get better the rains sought of clean off the roads enough so on the nicer days you can get the Viper out. Mine is usually garaged from the end of December to the middle of March. Not that you can't drive during that time but you'll be constantly cleaning the car. Once the season starts though, the top stays down much of the time, weather (ahhh no, wife) permitting. You can't beat the Fall around here, it's my best time of year. Spring is nice too. I'm 30 miles west of Boston where there are a lot of apple orchards, and this time of year you begin to smell the apple blossoms as they are starting to come out. Burlington is more busy than the western suburbs and you'll have to get used to the route 128-93-95 phenomenon. You'll see what I mean when you move here. And, if you decide to join our little family, let me be the first to say, Welcome aboard. Hope to see you at the events that are coming up. You won't be disappointed.
jack

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Paul
Great place to enjoy the car and all that mother nature has to offer.
:drive: Drive about an hour and your could be enjoying the beach and lobster& steamers.......yum
:drive: Drive about an hour and your are looking over the White Mountain National forest. Great mountain roads with all the mountain charm & thrills.
:drive: Drive less than an hour and your in Bosten, exciting place with sports and all kinds of entertainment but not the greatest place to enjoy a drive.
I have been a member since 1999 and the club just gets better and larger each year. The officers really try to create events that are different and interesting to everyone. Nothing is mandatory but you decide what and when you want to participate.
Look forward to meeting you and your co-pilot and viewing your car.:2tu: Glenn

OP
OP
W

Watchful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Sorry for the delay, I have been in Europe for a few weeks and got held up by the volcano cloud.

The information above is fantastic, and I now have renewed optimism! Sounds like there are some great drives and events locally, and the club does sound quite active. Great!

Looks like our move is going to happen, probably in the next 4-6 months. I'm now planning to keep the Viper when I move, and I'll definitely be in touch!

Cheers,
Paul.