How are Viper stripes applied?

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read in another post that Prefix Corporation is the place that "applies" stripes to the vipers.

My dealer said that the stripes are painted on, and then the car is clearcoated.

But the phrase above implies that they may actually be applied taped or vinyl.

So my questions are:

1) Are Viper stripes "painted" or "applied"?
2) Are the stripes clear coated after application?
3) Has anyone successfully removed their stripes and if so, how?
4) Has anyone else experienced a white haze at the edge of the stripe, looks like wax build up, but isn't?

-CuHead

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1.painted on vipers, please no stick ons vinyl, leave that for civic's
2.yes only the stripe is clearcoated
3.once painted almost inpossible to remove
4.not me, but can you exlain or pics maybe, is the car keeped outside?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT/10 had vinyl stripes with clear coat over. 1996 - 2002 GTS and 1997 - 2002 RT/10 had painted on and clearcoated at ASC. 2006 + have Prefix painted stripes. Only the stripes are painted. No whole car clear coat follows.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 RT/10 had vinyl stripes with clear coat over. 1996 - 2002 GTS and 1997 - 2002 RT/10 had painted on and clearcoated at ASC. 2006 + have Prefix painted stripes. Omly the stripes are painted. No whole car clear coat follows.

That's odd... I have a 1996 RT.. and the stripes are definitely PAINTED on then clear coated over.

Not sure where the above comes from, but I've looked at more than a few 1996 RTs (when searching for mine to buy) and they all appeared to be painted on.

Did you have a 1996 RT with vinyl stripes? I am 99.9% sure that mine has not been repainted.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take that 0.01% to the bank. Yes, yours are vinyl and then clearcoated. How would you tell what is under the clearcoat anyway?

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you could tell by more than one way, specially thickness, vinyl stays plyable and with time they look rougher, I didn't know the early ones were vinyl.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could tell by more than one way, specially thickness, vinyl stays plyable and with time they look rougher, I didn't know the early ones were vinyl.

That would only be true if the plastic was exposed. In this case it is under a coat of clear.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
c'mon you should know, vinyl reacts different to heat like expansion and contraction, than paint and also vinyl just contracts with time disturbing the cleared surface with it, Quality automotive paint are disigned to deal with this changes, and remain very constant on aperiance, I know these are subtle changes but I can tell the difference, It's the same as pinstripes vinyl is painted and paint is paint.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered about this, and talked to both the Viper Grailkeeper (Herb Helbig) and the Viper Body engineer today. Both said all Viper stripes have always been painted. I specifically asked about the '96 RT/10 "sabre striped" cars, and he said the same thing... adding "we have never used Vinyl". That's what Team Viper says.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, I would talk with someone who was involved back then on the body. ASC called it an applique. Definitely not paint. They complained quite heavily about the process when I was there.

Tell Herb he could not tell if the car was painted or not. Only if it was fast. :) j/k

The correct body engineer to ask is Sandy E. No longer on the Viper team.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
c'mon you should know, vinyl reacts different to heat like expansion and contraction, than paint and also vinyl just contracts with time disturbing the cleared surface with it, Quality automotive paint are disigned to deal with this changes, and remain very constant on aperiance, I know these are subtle changes but I can tell the difference, It's the same as pinstripes vinyl is painted and paint is paint.

Any more incorrect information you wish to add?
Your batting 1000.

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what confused you my last sentence, what do you mean by batting 1000 every thing I said is correct, if you need me to clarify for you just ask.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456