How do engine/trans mounts prevent wheel hop?

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read time and time again that switching to poly engine and trans mounts will help eliminate wheel hop. My question is how? My understanding of wheel hop is that it's the rear suspension loading and unloading. How do the mounts, which aren't part of the rear suspension, help prevent it? Just curious.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read time and time again that switching to poly engine and trans mounts will help eliminate wheel hop. My question is how? My understanding of wheel hop is that it's the rear suspension loading and unloading. How do the mounts, which aren't part of the rear suspension, help prevent it? Just curious.
Do some reading about torque tubes and why they are superior to conventional drive shafts-this should give you a pretty good idea what takes place:2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A solid mount does not give (bad and good) as much and does not allow the driveline to have as much unrestrained play. Wheel hop is better controlled by increasing rear shock rebound and adding some rear toe. Hard tires also can create some problems.